IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 8 *Montezuma's Revenge*

darthkur

b_MontezumasRevenge_front.jpg

s_MontezumasRevenge_2.png

You are Panama Joe, adventurer, archeologist and treasure hunter. Your latest and greatest challenge is to enter to forbidding fortress of Emperor Montezuma. It is fabled to contain a heaping mountain of priceless treasure. Legend also has it that deadly creatures are abundant and will thwart any attempt to abscond off with the precious antiquities. This, of coarse, does not bother you for you are fearless and laugh in the face of certain death. So the adventure begins.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: N/A.

Contest ends on: 6-8-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: ckirkman - 220,550 +11

2nd: atariron82 - 215,550 +10

3rd: darthkur - 199,950 +9

4th: DensB68 - 142,650 +8

5th: roadrunner - 114,250 +7

6th: NoahsMyBro - 61,850 +6

7th: Cafeman - 59,500 +5

8th: Shannon - 31,650 +4

9th: bohoki - 17,700 +3

10th: RangerG - 11,500 +2

Current Standings:

1st: Cafeman (69) (1)

2nd: darthkur (61) (2)

3rd: ckirkman (51) (1)

4th: roadrunner (42)

5th: DensB68 (33)

6th: bohoki (32) (1)

7th: doctorclu (31) (2)

8th: RangerG (19)

9th: LaserHawk (18)

9th: NoahsMyBro (18)

10th: atariron82 (15)

11th: Scihorror (14)

12th: LarcenTyler (12)

13th: Shannon (9)

14th: MIKE5200 (7)

14th: thursday83 (7)

15th: midnight magicman (6)

16th: atari_envy (5)

16th: Mingy Jongo (5)

17th: mightymage (4)

18th: chuckwalla (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Montezuma's Revenge Manual

Edited by darthkur

Sorry, but this is the best that I can do (for right now) without losing my mind! lol...

Did someone say... maps?! :-)

Oh man.. and I just realized.. I'm playing this on Stella, so this is probably the 2600 version :-( Sorry guys!

B

post-23477-1243630881_thumb.png

Edited by ballistik

Sorry, but this is the best that I can do (for right now) without losing my mind! lol...

Did someone say... maps?! :-)

Oh man.. and I just realized.. I'm playing this on Stella, so this is probably the 2600 version :-( Sorry guys!

B

Yes, you'll need to be playing the 5200 version of the game. There are good emulators for the 5200 if you don't happen to have one and/or the cart. The rom for the game can be had right from this site. In fact here it is: link

I just got 220,550 level 5. There does not seem to be time to take a picture on the 5200. How are you taking pictures before it resets?

What an incredible score! I bet Panama Joe spends a lot of time in the dark at that level.

It reset on me once erasing a pretty decent score. It seems I pressed the fire/jump button as my last man was dying and it remembered with a lag, continuing the game with zero points but my inventory of items intact. The screen should freeze a few seconds after your last Panama Joe bites the dust, leaving your high score indefinitely until you press the jump button. This is using original hardware. I assume it holds true for the emulation ROM as well :)

19,800. Played a few games. Having difficulty with pressing the button + direction at the same time, I keep running of the edges and dying! I won't be one of the top scorers on this one no doubt.

Edited by Cafeman

I just got 220,550 level 5. There does not seem to be time to take a picture on the 5200. How are you taking pictures before it resets?

What an incredible score! I bet Panama Joe spends a lot of time in the dark at that level.

It reset on me once erasing a pretty decent score. It seems I pressed the fire/jump button as my last man was dying and it remembered with a lag, continuing the game with zero points but my inventory of items intact. The screen should freeze a few seconds after your last Panama Joe bites the dust, leaving your high score indefinitely until you press the jump button. This is using original hardware. I assume it holds true for the emulation ROM as well :)

Yeah, it is pretty dark. I had 4 Joes left and stumbled around. I should have checked out the map first. I am playing on my 5200 with the redemption 5200 Sega Genesis controller. Thank you for the info on the high score screen.

I'm starting to get a feel for this game. I would have loved this back in the early 80's, it sure is a great treasure-huntin' platform game. Playing Miner 2049'er was good practice for some of these screens with the disappearing force field floors.

New high score is 42,200.

post-37-1244041216_thumb.jpg

I was starting to work a stratagy to get through the first three levels, but it all came to an end when I got to level 4. There is alot more skulls, spiders, laser gates and darkness to navigate through. I had 11 men at the start, but Montezuma eventually got his Revenge:

post-21471-1244128359_thumb.jpg

I really want to play this HSC game but my console wont comply.

MY cart keeps popping up onits own and its quite frustrating.

If anyone has any thoughts how to fix it, please see my thread and post there please.

Thanks much :)

Sorry, I didn't take a screen shot, I really thought I would do better :|

Anyone know where the torch is in level 4?

Not in a way that I could really explain it. In the higher levels it seems more difficult to get to the torch than it is to simply go to the exit without it.