IGNORED

Will we ever live to see...

I don't believe any of the "first" video games/video game systems will ever be "extinct." I think you'll see any cartridge-based system - 2600-5200-7800-Jaguar/Genesis/NES/SNES/etc - have a following as those who owned them when they were in production return to them out of nostalgia. That's what I did with the 2600, then branching out into other Atari consoles I didn't own during their production runs.

I don't think that will happen for any of the CD-based systems, as the hardware and software is too fragile compared to cartridge-based hardware and software. If you own a PS1 or 2, or a DC, GC, or XBox, keep it and take care of it, then you'll be able to keep playing it. But there's no way any of these systems are going to be able to withstand the kind of abuse Atari and other cart based systems endured over the years as they found their way to flea markets, thrift stores and yard sales.

I didn't hesitate to buy an XEGS when I saw it at an outdoor flea market. At that same market I didn't risk buying a Saturn that had a higher probability of not working.

It might also be a good idea to find an "extra" of your favorite cd based systems and stash it away for that fateful day in the (hopefully) distant future when the one you use spins for the last time and parts are no longer available (for those that can repair their consoles) to repair them...keep it warm and dry and safe and you should still have a working unit when your 80 (God willing you live that long). Also, make backups of all your cd's that you can and stash the originals away only bring them out to make new backups when your other copies wear out...or make multiple backups now, in case cdr burners become extinct in the distant future...

I don't think you'll really have to worry much about parts for CD systems running out of production any time soon. At the very least, the CD-Rom mechanisms will be around for a very long time, and should the time ever come that CD's are scrapped, it might even be possible to jury-rig a DVD mechanism into the box instead. The Night Phantom may be right, replicators will probably be around before our supplies of CD-Rom stuff runs dry.

As for Atari's becoming extinct, I don't think that will happen for a VERY long time (Read: thousands of years). However, I get an interesting mental picture of a futuristic Indiana Jones digging up a VCS at an excavation site (Or swapping a bag of sand for the system to foil a trap) :)

--Zero

Hmmm....

I can see it now. A boxed, never opened Quadrun on a little stand and hundreds of little traps sent up to stop him. He manages to over calculate how much sand it is and springs the trap.

He gets away and sees the Ark of the Covenant on his way out but decides not to get it since he got the truly valuable piece when he got the boxed Quadrun :D

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that it's most likely the cartridge-based systems that will still be around as collector's items much longer than their CD-based counterparts. Cartridges were made to be used and abused and still play like they haven't been, whereas even the slightest scratch on a CD can possibly render a game encoded on it inoperable. Also because those systems are based on CD player technology, they're most likely to wear out faster from the same level of useage as playing the games on a cartridge-based game system. Strangely, though, I've been using my PS2 as a substitute CD player most often than not.

I don't see why anyone would say they don't see collecting for a CD based system is practical. Not EVERYONE who owns a CD based game system scratches the hell out of their games, also, if you spend $40+ on a single game, you bet my ass the last thing your gonna see is a scratch on the disc :)

I've got well over 100 Dreamcast games (and still collecting) and I've sprung and found a few Sega Saturn CD games that were in fairly good condition. Only 1 CD out of my Dreamcast collection is scratched (Power Stone)

Unless you have a reckless 6 year old (which the CD's will become scratched soon!) it shouldn't be a problem. For some reason, women (at least from what I have seen) take a little TOO much care for their CD's in general(lol) which is good I guess (since' there's not a single scratch on the cd)

It may be harder to collect for CD systems (as you have to find good condition CDs's) but not happening? I don't see why not...

Clint Thompson

:P