IGNORED

Atari 2600 Hacks and Homebrews ROM Collection V1.2

Impaler_26

Here is my Atari 2600 Hacks and Homebrews ROM Collection V1.2. It's based on Rom Hunter's Hacks and Homebrews Collection V1.1 and there are 2244 ROMs included.

I haven't sorted in all the ROMs i have yet and i still need to improve it a lot. But as already a few people asked for it i decided to release it as it is for now, expect an update by the end of this year/early 2010.

If you find any mistakes or want something included just let me know.

Enjoy!

Hacks_and_Homebrews_V1.2.zip

• Like 10

Might I suggest breaking this up into two archives? One for Hacks, one for Homebrews?

Yep, i plan to do that but i was too lazy to split up the collection at the moment. :D

I will do so for the next update, maybe also make a seperate demo rom pack.

And then there's also that 7800 Homebrew ROM Collection i have to start "working" on this year...

• Like 2

Nice work man! downloading as I type :-D

BTW: Just wondering, is there an eprom chip big enough to load all(or half[even quarter]) of these games?

You could put them on a Kroko Cart.

I have heard of them, but could never find one up for purchase. Do you know where I could find one to purchase?

Edited by imac4567

Yes, I think one for (finished or mostly-finished) homebrews...

That's not a bad idea but the thing is just where should i draw the line? Some WIP games are obviously extremly unfinished while other about 50% or so finished ones are already quite playable...

Maybe make an extra pack with only 100% finished homebrews?

• Like 1

Nice work man! downloading as I type :-D

BTW: Just wondering, is there an eprom chip big enough to load all(or half[even quarter]) of these games?

You could put them on a Kroko Cart.

I have heard of them, but could never find one up for purchase. Do you know where I could find one to purchase?

The Krok Cart is sold out AFAIK. You could look around in the Marketplace forum or wait for the upcoming Harmony Cart.

• Like 1

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot! Nice work!

Yes, I think one for (finished or mostly-finished) homebrews...

That's not a bad idea but the thing is just where should i draw the line? Some WIP games are obviously extremly unfinished while other about 50% or so finished ones are already quite playable...

Maybe make an extra pack with only 100% finished homebrews?

Here's my 2 pennies worth...

- Finished Homebrews (100%)

- WIP Homebrews

- Tech Demos (Andrew Davie's Chronocolour demos, etc.)

- Prototypes (a.k.a. unfinished/abandoned games (Prince of Persia, etc.))

- Hacks

Hacks, I believe, are the hardest to sort through:

Since there are a few homebrews that are derived from other games and would technically qualify as a hack (some of PacManPlus' 7800 games and maybe Wolfenstein VCS, for example), I think they should be categorized as homebrew due to the extent of work that went into them and the fact that the games are so far removed from the originals.

Functional hacks (such as Missile Command TB) and graphical improvement hacks (like Return of Mario Bros.) might fall under an "Improved Originals" hack category. This can be subjective but I think it'd be useful to separate these from the Steroid Pitfalls and such.

I mention all this about hacks because, personally, I'd like to easily weed out the graphical hacks that, ummm, to put it nicely, don't add anything to the original work.

Anyway, just my thoughts... :)

- Finished Homebrews (100%)

- WIP Homebrews

- Tech Demos (Andrew Davie's Chronocolour demos, etc.)

- Prototypes (a.k.a. unfinished/abandoned games (Prince of Persia, etc.))

- Hacks

I think classifying unfinished or abandoned homebrews as "prototypes" sounds like a good idea. And it doesn't preclude the possibility that they might someday become active WIP homebrews again.

Michael

I mention all this about hacks because, personally, I'd like to easily weed out the graphical hacks that, ummm, to put it nicely, don't add anything to the original work.

I agree - it'd be nice if they could be sorted based on "gameplay" and "graphics". Or just tagged with an extra character (such as ~ which is used in Rom Hunter's collection to denote the original versions of games). Sounds like an absolute nightmare to do that, though.

Here's a semi-sorted version:

Hacks have been broken up into:

• bankswitch conversions (includes bankswitch conversions from Rom Hunter's main collection, since technically these are hacks)
  • Supercharger conversions
  • hacks (sorted by original game)
  • NTSC conversions
  • PAL conversions
  • palette select hacks

Homebrews have been split up into:

• demos
  • homebrews (unsorted)

Hacks_and_Homebrews_V1.2a__sorted_.zip

Edit: Oops... Adventure (Palette Select Hack) (2008) (Kurt Howe).bin and Air-Sea Battle (Palette Select Hack) (2008) (Kurt Howe).bin are in the wrong folders. They're in with the main hacks, and should be in with Palette Select hacks.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 2

Another Edit:

Bubble Trubble (Jr. Pac-Man Hack) (2008) (James Francis) (WIP).bin

Fat Freddie (Jr. Pac-Man Hack) (2004) (James Francis).bin

Jr. Pac-Man Throttle (Jr. Pac-Man Hack) (2005) (Kurt Howe) (PAL).bin

Jr. Pac-Man Throttle (Jr. Pac-Man Hack) (2005) (Kurt Howe).bin

Monkeyshines! (Jr. Pac-Man Hack) (2005) (James Catalano).bin

Nightmare at Sunshine Bowl-a-rama (Jr. Pac-Man Hack) (2003) (Nick Patterson).bin

SpongeBob (Jr. Pac-Man Hack) (2004) (James Francis).bin

Are in the Pac-Man folder, and should be in a Jr. Pac-Man folder.

• Like 1

Here is my Atari 2600 Hacks and Homebrews ROM Collection V1.2. It's based on Rom Hunter's Hacks and Homebrews Collection V1.1 and there are 2244 ROMs included.

I haven't sorted in all the ROMs i have yet and i still need to improve it a lot. But as already a few people asked for it i decided to release it as it is for now, expect an update by the end of this year/early 2010.

If you find any mistakes or want something included just let me know.

Enjoy!

thanks a lot for sharing your work Impaler!!!

I will load em on my krok cart during the weekend :P

• Like 1

Here's a semi-sorted version:

Awesome, many thanks for that! :thumbsup:

You're welcome! :D

I end up sorting all my ROMs anyway, so if it can help anyone else out, so much the better.

Here's an updated version. I re-sorted about 30 Hacks that ended up in the wrong folders, and have done a rough sort of the Homebrews, too:

Hacks:

• bankswitch conversions
  • Supercharger conversions
  • hacks (sorted by game)
  • NTSC conversions
  • PAL conversions
  • palette select hacks

Homebrews are now sorted by:

• demos
  • homebrews (WIPs)
  • homebrews

For demos, I also included anything I could find that were solely music or image demos. As with the hacks, this was all done based on how the binaries were named, so it's not going to be 100% accurate without someone going through and checking each one.

Hacks_and_Homebrews_V1.2b_sorted.zip

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 5

ha! my early WIP (even if it's not WIP anymore, as i have no intention and time to do anything with that pile of c...) is there! :) it makes me feel like i'm a part of Atari 2600 history :)

seriously, great job. we will never loose a single line ever written for 2600 thanks to people like you - most fascinating thing about the community, that there are people willing to do things like that, sacrificing their own time, just for a credit on the message board. thanks!