IGNORED

Any interest in web-based bB/2600 asm IDE?

Fort Apocalypse

Finally, I got a command-line Java conversion of bB and DASM working. I've included two jar files for bB and DASM and a batch file and shell script to run them.

It still uses sed if it's there, so that should be changed for a web interface (sed isn't necessary anyway.)

I have no idea how to integrate command-line Java with a web page, however, so I'll leave that to Fort Apocalypse.

Thanks, Fred! That's awesome!! Java has regexp/string replacement stuff assuming that is what sed is being used for, that might not be hard to swap out.

Here is possibly a list of to do items for me or whomever (but I'm too wiped out to work on it tonight):

* Test compilation using bB java at command-line (assuming custom mini-kernels and custom kernels not supported at first)

* Log all changes made to Java so that it can possibly be automated to help automate future ports to Java

* A page with a textarea where bB source could be pasted

* A button that kicks off bB compilation

* Change bB java to support output of asm(maybe?) and definitely bin (hopefully the 2600 compiler was converted also?) as a stream or bytearray maybe

* Store the source, maybe the asm, and the bin in whatever is used for persistance (it appears that storing a small file as blob should be possible)

* If can't compile, provide output that bB compiler would have output to stdout/stderr (so would need to change that part in the java also) to the web UI in a separate textarea

* Allow download of files via url

* Try to get JStella to work by loading bin specified in url

If we get that far, I'll be happy.

I've only had bits of time here and there recently, which has just been enough to post here and there on AA. :( Hopefully have more time this weekend after I get some sleep. Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

Very slow progress, and not working, but here is the start so far:

http://hbrewide.appspot.com/

Looks like crap and all it does is move what you enter into the top to the bottom, but it is JRuby+Sinatra (so supports Java). Still need to learn how to do the following the Java-Google-AppEngine-way:

* File upload (I found an example though that I can use)

* File download (specifically after output by compiler)

* Persist data via BigTable stuff in its API

If I can just get to the point where I have a basic interface to store a file or more and compile and download bins I'll be happy, but I know that the bB compiler (and everything else) part is going to take a *lot* more work.

Also, the UI sucks and there are no menus, etc. etc. I know. Just starting (after several hours (total at least over last few weeks) of trying various way to do stuff in AppEngine)... :)

The goal is to have it support some basic compilation using a few different Atari related compilers written in Java (if possible).