IGNORED

funny little system

sciarpo

Jaguar is more difficult system than NEO-GEO, it has lots of coprocessors for graphic, sound and others

And Neo-Geo has just M68K and z80 for sound - but there is ONE MOMENT - difficult system - difficult producing game, simple system - simple game creation

And for this reason NEO-GEO has interesting games with perfect animation games, and Jaguar has only couple of interesting games

NEO-GEO can access to 128 megabytes of uncompressed graphic tiles - it means 128 megabytes of WRAM saying another words

But Jaguar has only 2 megabytes ram, there is and graphic tiles, and prorgam code and other staff

Neo-geo has also automatic features which dont take M68K attention - autoanimation - your screen could be totally animated with 8 different pictures for each tile, and it can be easily scalling every time you want

so NEO-GEO games more quality than Jaguar, but jaguar has 3D features and small games list which using them

Half of Jaguar games NEO-GEO could be played easily and speed was more faster

NEO-GEO doesnt need unpack graphic and suck out from cart packed code, than unpack it and place to RAM

NEO-GEO makes it instantly and simultaneously - cause this is not a video game - this is THE ARCADE GAME Machine for player pleasure ;)

True, it's cheaper now. But it was plain ridiculous back in the 90's with the system costing $700 and the games $200+ each... The Jag was only $100-$250 with the games being $50-$70, and better variety imo (Atleast by mid to late 1995 :P)... :)

And even still, the common and junk Neo games still go for $20-$50. Most Jag games are $5-$10. Neo system still going for about $200, for the Japanese version. American version a lot more, like $300+ Jag only going for about $40-50, or even less than that.

I know the MVS route is somewhat cheaper in the long run, but still pretty pricey.. And don't get me wrong, I think the Neo is a cool system for sure. Has awesome collectibility and WOW factor just seeing the system and behemoth carts. However, I just get tired of the typical Jag bashing and put downs, and constant praise for the Neo like it's some godly system... ;) The Neo didn't live up to the hype for me at all... I guess it would have been different had I owned one back in the early-mid 90's.

Interesting stories you have there. ;) I was a big coin collector too, but sold a lot and kinda lost interest. However something really cool happened the other day. I got a freaking BUFFALO NICKEL back in change from this mexican food place I go to frequently. I had never gotten one in change or even heard of anyone getting it in change. Plus it is in awesome condition. I actually made a vid of it and put it on YouTube. :P

Oh almost forgot, I was born and raised in San Jose. ;) I grew up right next to the Raging Waters, in ghetto east SJ LOL... Moved to Fairfield when I was 7 or 8... Still live here now. About an hour and 15 minutes north of SJ.

You ever been to the SJ flea market at the drive in movies? I always wonder if they have a lot of videogames there...

Holycrap... 1935 nickle??? I don't collect coins I collect comic books; but I know a collectors item when I see it... That's wild. :D

I remember back in 93 when I got my first summer job I remember hearing about the Neo Geo in magazines but no toy stores had any where in the south. It would've taken a whole two weeks pay check to get a Neo Geo back then... I was like the "The heck with that." The following summer I cut grass and put a Genesis on lay-a-way and paid for it using lawnmower money. The following year the Jag comes to town and I don't have any money to buy a Jag. It sucked. :D

Comparing the Neo Geo with the Jaguar is like comparing apples and oranges technical wise; but what kept the Neo Geo going were the games. I think SNK used the same formula that Atari use during their early days of arcades; make the games easy to play, hard to beat and when you lose, you lose in complete utter humiliation kind of like Defender Arcade. :D I guess the goal is the keep the quarters comming.

..... the same formula that Atari use during their early days of arcades

Atari forgot who they were and is probably the biggest reason why the Jaguar failed.

Neo Geo for its day was a masterful console design. They did not consider cost but

instead put amazing design in to the machine. The most impressive is the seperate

bus system allowing little if any bottle necks. Jaguar uses a unified bus. Even still it

can and will outpower a Neo Geo. Put the Tom and Jerry and 68k on seperate busses

and the Neo Geo would look more like a Genny in comparision.

True, it's cheaper now. But it was plain ridiculous back in the 90's with the system costing $700 and the games $200+ each... The Jag was only $100-$250 with the games being $50-$70, and better variety imo (Atleast by mid to late 1995 :P)... :)

And even still, the common and junk Neo games still go for $20-$50. Most Jag games are $5-$10. Neo system still going for about $200, for the Japanese version. American version a lot more, like $300+ Jag only going for about $40-50, or even less than that.

I know the MVS route is somewhat cheaper in the long run, but still pretty pricey.. And don't get me wrong, I think the Neo is a cool system for sure. Has awesome collectibility and WOW factor just seeing the system and behemoth carts. However, I just get tired of the typical Jag bashing and put downs, and constant praise for the Neo like it's some godly system... ;) The Neo didn't live up to the hype for me at all... I guess it would have been different had I owned one back in the early-mid 90's.

Interesting stories you have there. ;) I was a big coin collector too, but sold a lot and kinda lost interest. However something really cool happened the other day. I got a freaking BUFFALO NICKEL back in change from this mexican food place I go to frequently. I had never gotten one in change or even heard of anyone getting it in change. Plus it is in awesome condition. I actually made a vid of it and put it on YouTube. :P

Oh almost forgot, I was born and raised in San Jose. ;) I grew up right next to the Raging Waters, in ghetto east SJ LOL... Moved to Fairfield when I was 7 or 8... Still live here now. About an hour and 15 minutes north of SJ.

You ever been to the SJ flea market at the drive in movies? I always wonder if they have a lot of videogames there...

Holycrap... 1935 nickle??? I don't collect coins I collect comic books; but I know a collectors item when I see it... That's wild. :D

I remember back in 93 when I got my first summer job I remember hearing about the Neo Geo in magazines but no toy stores had any where in the south. It would've taken a whole two weeks pay check to get a Neo Geo back then... I was like the "The heck with that." The following summer I cut grass and put a Genesis on lay-a-way and paid for it using lawnmower money. The following year the Jag comes to town and I don't have any money to buy a Jag. It sucked. :D

Comparing the Neo Geo with the Jaguar is like comparing apples and oranges technical wise; but what kept the Neo Geo going were the games. I think SNK used the same formula that Atari use during their early days of arcades; make the games easy to play, hard to beat and when you lose, you lose in complete utter humiliation kind of like Defender Arcade. :D I guess the goal is the keep the quarters comming.

Ya, I was pretty amazed myself about the nickel. :D Especially considering it was in a similar condition to a normal nickel you get in change, only that it was about 50 years older! :o

As far as the Neo Geo. Yes, the 2d and sound are impressive. But the gameplay, on average, is limiting. Most of the games are just plain so damn difficult, it's hard to get any enjoyment out of them! If I was paying for Neo Geo stuff back in the day, I would have been totally pissed about getting my ass kicked by a game I just spent HUNDREDS of dollars on. I mean sure, you are getting the EXACT arcade experience at home with the Neo, but if you ask me, it's a little TOO exact. Arcade games are designed to be insanely difficult to take everyone's money! So, arcade games are designed to only be fun for about 15 minutes or so. This is what I saw with most Neo games. I was dazzled by the presentation (graphics sounds) but I just didn't have much fun with the games. And that's the most important thing to me. I prefer the Nintendo formula. Start games out extremely easy, and bump the difficulty as you progress through the game. Neo games just stomp your face from the get go! :P

Atari forgot who they were and is probably the biggest reason why the Jaguar failed.

Neo Geo for its day was a masterful console design. They did not consider cost but

instead put amazing design in to the machine. The most impressive is the seperate

bus system allowing little if any bottle necks. Jaguar uses a unified bus. Even still it

can and will outpower a Neo Geo. Put the Tom and Jerry and 68k on seperate busses

There is no question in my mind that our favorite cat is technically superior to the Neo-Geo.

The Neo-Geo's claim to fame, though, is its ability to display 380 individual sprites via a custom chip set. However, the real setback is the 68000 CPU which you have already stated in your posts. What you can't argue about the Neo-Geo is how SNK programs their games. With the exception of a couple titles (i.e. Last Resort, Metal Slug 2, and a few others), their games do not suffer from slow down, and that is quite a feat considering their technique is to use sprites for everything in their games, straight down to the backgrounds themselves. This technique wasn't used in their earlier games (if I am not mistaken; don't forget that i am getting on in years lol), but later games were far better, more playable, and were true masterpieces of video game art.

I would love to see an SNK quality game on the Jaguar that stretched the limits of the system, making the Neo-Geo look like a Genny. It can be a shooter, a platformer, a racing game, whatever -- I would buy it!

I agree that the Neo Geo has some great games, but if you're not into fighters (and I'm not) the pickings are kind of slim.
I dunno about that... Blazing Star, Blue's Journey, two Bust-A-Move games, Captain Tomaday, six Metal Slug games, NAM 1975, Neo Bomberman, Neo Drift Out, Neo Mr. Do!, Neo Turf Masters, Nightmare In The Dark, Panic Bomber, Pulstar, three Sengoku games, two Shock Troopers games, Spinmaster, Street Hoop, Viewpoint, Windjammers, and Zupapa! are all solid non-fighting games for the Neo Geo, and there're more where that came from...

To add to your list:

There's also Magician Lord, Last Resort, Top Hunter, Super Dodgeball, Crossed Swords, Cyberlip, 2020 Baseball, Aero Fighters 2 & 3, Alpha Mission II, Andro Dunos, Bakatono's Mahjong, Baseball Stars, Baseball Stars 2, Battle Flip Shot, Eightman, Ganryu, Jyanshin Densetu (Mahjong), League Bowling, Money Idol Exchanger (kick-ass Columns / Tetris style game), Nam 75, Neo Bomberman, Over The Top, Panic Bomber (Bomberman style Tetris game), Pleasure Goal, Pop 'n Bounce, Power Spikes 2, Prehistoric island 2, Puzzle de Pon, Puzzled, Riding hero, Soccer Brawl, Spin Master, Stakes Winner, Stakes Winner 2, Super Sidekicks 1, 2 & 3, Tecmo World Soccer '96, Twinkle Star Sprites, Viewpoint, Zed Blade, etc. Phew

The Neo-Geo community is starting to see new games by home developers and the first release was Last Hope for both Neo AES & Neo CD. There are plenty of other alternatives to Neo-Geo gaming besides fighting games!

-Mike

Edited by STGuy1040

I agree that the Neo Geo has some great games, but if you're not into fighters (and I'm not) the pickings are kind of slim.
I dunno about that... Blazing Star, Blue's Journey, two Bust-A-Move games, Captain Tomaday, six Metal Slug games, NAM 1975, Neo Bomberman, Neo Drift Out, Neo Mr. Do!, Neo Turf Masters, Nightmare In The Dark, Panic Bomber, Pulstar, three Sengoku games, two Shock Troopers games, Spinmaster, Street Hoop, Viewpoint, Windjammers, and Zupapa! are all solid non-fighting games for the Neo Geo, and there're more where that came from...

To add to your list:

There's also Magician Lord, Last Resort, Top Hunter, Super Dodgeball, Crossed Swords, Cyberlip, 2020 Baseball, Aero Fighters 2 & 3, Alpha Mission II, Andro Dunos, Bakatono's Mahjong, Baseball Stars, Baseball Stars 2, Battle Flip Shot, Eightman, Ganryu, Jyanshin Densetu (Mahjong), League Bowling, Money Idol Exchanger (kick-ass Columns / Tetris style game), Nam 75, Neo Bomberman, Over The Top, Panic Bomber (Bomberman style Tetris game), Pleasure Goal, Pop 'n Bounce, Power Spikes 2, Prehistoric island 2, Puzzle de Pon, Puzzled, Riding hero, Soccer Brawl, Spin Master, Stakes Winner, Stakes Winner 2, Super Sidekicks 1, 2 & 3, Tecmo World Soccer '96, Twinkle Star Sprites, Viewpoint, Zed Blade, etc. Phew

The Neo-Geo community is starting to see new games by home developers and the first release was Last Hope for both Neo AES & Neo CD. There are plenty of other alternatives to Neo-Geo gaming besides fighting games!

-Mike

I guess the Neo does have a good variety of games besides fighters. And to be fair to the Neo (I've been a bit harsh toward it.. ;)) I did have some good fun with many Neo games. I guess what bugs me, is I like the Jag and its games considerably more than the Neo and its games. Yet everywhere you turn, you see the Jag bashed and the Neo is almost always held in high praise. I just wish the Jag would get the credit it deserves. ;) I don't think it ever will though...

To add to your list:

-Mike

I guess the Neo does have a good variety of games besides fighters. And to be fair to the Neo (I've been a bit harsh toward it.. ;)) I did have some good fun with many Neo games. I guess what bugs me, is I like the Jag and its games considerably more than the Neo and its games. Yet everywhere you turn, you see the Jag bashed and the Neo is almost always held in high praise. I just wish the Jag would get the credit it deserves. ;) I don't think it ever will though...

I love my Jaguar, plain and simple. It's a kick-ass game system with incredible potential. Mad Bodies by Force Design is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to high quality releases for the system. The game's overall presentation feels very Neo-ish in execution and I draw this comparison by the way the game plays. It's full of personality and oddball occurrences that only SNK titles would risk having. Come on, what game says, ‘You need to fight back you little punk!' at the continue screen? Classic. We need more games like MB on the Jaguar to silence the critics. What bothers me the most about these so-called critics is how most of them have never touched or even played a Jaguar game. I am sure they have seen their fair share of Youtube Jaguar videos, so in their minds they are experts on how bad the system is.

I am positive the misconception will be rectified over time. ;)

Edited by STGuy1040

There is no question in my mind that our favorite cat is technically superior to the Neo-Geo.

The Neo-Geo's claim to fame, though, is its ability to display 380 individual sprites via a custom chip set. However, the real setback is the 68000 CPU which you have already stated in your posts. What you can't argue about the Neo-Geo is how SNK programs their games. With the exception of a couple titles (i.e. Last Resort, Metal Slug 2, and a few others), their games do not suffer from slow down, and that is quite a feat considering their technique is to use sprites for everything in their games, straight down to the backgrounds themselves. This technique wasn't used in their earlier games (if I am not mistaken; don't forget that i am getting on in years lol), but later games were far better, more playable, and were true masterpieces of video game art.

I would love to see an SNK quality game on the Jaguar that stretched the limits of the system, making the Neo-Geo look like a Genny. It can be a shooter, a platformer, a racing game, whatever -- I would buy it!

Just because the hardware is capable of 380 sprites, that does not mean the system can display that many in a 60 fps

game situation. My guess is you would be hard pressed to get half that many of even small size on screen in a useful

application. The Jaguar has no such sprite number limit as it is only limited by the amount of memory and the bus. It

also has no size limit and it can throw around 24 bit color (16.7 mil)FOR EACH SPRITE, where the NEO GEO would get

12 bit color (4096) using many sprites to do so. JagMod has a demo of the OPL running 100 large sprites in 24 bit color

at a no frame drop 60 FPS. Im sure he is hardly taxing the system.

Just because the hardware is capable of 380 sprites, that does not mean the system can display that many in a 60 fps

game situation. My guess is you would be hard pressed to get half that many of even small size on screen in a useful

application. The Jaguar has no such sprite number limit as it is only limited by the amount of memory and the bus. It

also has no size limit and it can throw around 24 bit color (16.7 mil)FOR EACH SPRITE, where the NEO GEO would get

12 bit color (4096) using many sprites to do so. JagMod has a demo of the OPL running 100 large sprites in 24 bit color

at a no frame drop 60 FPS. Im sure he is hardly taxing the system.

Like I said, I had no doubt the Jaguar is more powerful than the Neo-Geo. I would love to see something on the Jaguar that would finally silence the Neo-Geo tech-heads.

This shows off the Jag's pixel / sprite abilities nicely. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0OX7EZsDs&fmt=18

Watch 1:55 - 3:25 of this video of me kicking ass in Tempest 2000. Sprite city!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O51GSETYAQ&fmt=18

Watch 1:55 - 3:45 of this video, again , me kicking ass in Tempest 2000. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh9y3TuDiME&fmt=18

Atari Karts, Defender 2000 & Super Burnout are also great examples of the Jag 2d and / or pixel power among others.

This shows off the Jag's pixel / sprite abilities nicely. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0OX7EZsDs&fmt=18

Watch 1:55 - 3:25 of this video of me kicking ass in Tempest 2000. Sprite city!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O51GSETYAQ&fmt=18

Watch 1:55 - 3:45 of this video, again , me kicking ass in Tempest 2000. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh9y3TuDiME&fmt=18

Atari Karts, Defender 2000 & Super Burnout are also great examples of the Jag 2d and / or pixel power among others.

Nice videos, Kevin! Another game that comes to mind is Rayman:

Like I said, I had no doubt the Jaguar is more powerful than the Neo-Geo. I would love to see something on the Jaguar that would finally silence the Neo-Geo tech-heads.

trevor Mc Fur, as horid a game it is already pisses all over anything a Neo Geo could hope to do.

Imagine like Crazy Ace mentioned, a Raiden with Trevor 24 bit quality graphics. Imagine even

Dino Dudes with photo quality cavemen. Graphics do sell a system and at the time of Jaguar's

release it was capable of utterly destroying the current competition in 2D. This is how they should

have ported games....with 24 bit photoreal images and not the same 4096 color horse shit. This

would have given them plenty of time to deal with the 3D titles.

Edited by Gorf

Didn't the Neo Geo do all it's rendering with sprites, with no seperate hardware features for background layers? This would use up a lot of the sprites right there, having to build all the backgrounds (especially with multiple scroll layers) out of sprite tiles. (a sprite can be as tall as the screen, but only 16 pixels wide, meaning it takes 20 sprites to do one full screen backround layer)

The Neo did have some good SHMUPs, and some puzzel, adventure, and platformers, though there was an overwhelming emphesis on fighters and bert 'em ups. (particularly in the early portion of its life)

Edited by kool kitty89

Didn't the Neo Geo do all it's rendering with sprites, with no seperate hardware features for background layers? This would use up a lot of the sprites right there, having to build all the backgrounds (especially with multiple scroll layers) out of sprite tiles. (a sprite can be as tall as the screen, but only 16 pixels wide, meaning it takes 20 sprites to do one full screen backround layer)

The Neo did have some good SHMUPs, and some puzzel, adventure, and platformers, though there was an overwhelming emphesis on fighters and bert 'em ups. (particularly in the early portion of its life)

I will once again point out that the Neo Geo is a well designed system and probably the most powerful

of the machine before 3DO and Jaguar. It essentially a Genny with a seperate bus system and a stronger

sprite engine. However, agaisnt the Jag it is not even in the same league. The one big plus of the Neo Geo

is since it can only use so many colors on screen at once my guess it is limited to a low color per sprite with

many palletes. The total is only 4096 colors (probably by mixing a number of sprite with different palettes

together. You can fit a lot more graphics in a low color scheme than in 24 bit RGB. Jaguar can do photo

quality. You will never see a game even gome close to Ultra Vortek at least in color and graphics. Those

backdrops alone would be impossible on a Neo Geo. Though you get more colors on Jaguar you get less

sprite due to a lack of RAM/ROM.

Edited by Gorf

Sorry, but the Neo Geo stomps the Jaggie into little chunks of broken black plastic. :twisted: There isn't even remotely a competition. Of course, it does the same for the SNES, 3do and Genesis, so it's not like it unfairly crushes the old kitty :P

Now that said, I do like the Jaguar. The problem with it isn't that it sucks, it's that most developers didn't have a clue how to develop for it. There are about ten games that really show what it was capable of, like Battlesphere, Hover Strike, Doom, AvP etc.

One of the worst things a console company can do is make a system that's hard to develop for.

Sorry, but the Neo Geo stomps the Jaggie into little chunks of broken black plastic. :twisted: There isn't even remotely a competition. Of course, it does the same for the SNES, 3do and Genesis, so it's not like it unfairly crushes the old kitty :P

Now that said, I do like the Jaguar. The problem with it isn't that it sucks, it's that most developers didn't have a clue how to develop for it. There are about ten games that really show what it was capable of, like Battlesphere, Hover Strike, Doom, AvP etc.

One of the worst things a console company can do is make a system that's hard to develop for.

Amature! :roll:

Clearly you don't have even the foggiest clue about console hardware. You might like the games the Neo has to offer better

but power wise you cant even do a Trevor Mc Fur: One of the worst ever Jag games. So how do you figure Neo Geo could

even be remotely able to 'stomp' the Jaguar?

Now, let's see you even hope to try a game like Iron Soldier on the Neo Geo. It will never happen.

No Doom, not even Wolf3d.....and BattleSphere: :rolling:

The Neo Geo could not even handle the AI and game logic going on, never mind the graphics.

Neo Geo for it's time was a engineering master piece. Compared to the buggy Jag,

it was greatly outclassed.

Edited by Gorf

I too owned a 5200 when no one else owned one... it was the shit, once I finally got a pair of the Wico controllers with keypads, and gave up on the shitty standard controllers... the ability to pause your game was a 5200 first that everyone takes for granted now, and few are aware that it all began with the 5200, but that was one of the coolest things about owning one when it first came out... too bad the shitty standard controllers made that new ability a moot point at the time

anyhow, I sold my 2600 to get the 5200, and eventually sold it to buy more games for other systems... I also missed out on the 7800 completely... I wanted to get one when it was first announced, but by the time it finally came out I didn't trust any company's consoles anymore, and certainly not Atari's... so I didn't own any other systems until I got a Genesis, and I got a Jaguar & Jag CD mainly for Tempest 2000 and the VLM... otherwise I prolly would never have bothered

agreed the Jag is a 2D monster, and if they had just focused on exploiting that advantage, instead of crapping out way too many flat-shaded 3D polygon games, the Jag would prolly have enjoyed a much longer life, and utterly destroyed the Genesis and the SNES... even the Neo-Geo can't do what the Jag can do with 2D, and anyone who believes otherwise is obviously too blinded by fanboyism to see the obvious differences... the Jag can display WAY more colors than the Neo!

as for the price of the games, I still think most Jag games are horribly overpriced... even more so now than they were in its heyday... especially all the aftermarket titles and homebrews... but they're still a hell of alot cheaper than Neo-Geo games! so for what you get, the Jag is a way better value than the Neo is, unless you're an SNK fighter fanatic or you want to collect something that's only gonna keep going up in value over time... if so, then by all means get a Neo instead