IGNORED

Alien Voice Box II

Fletch

I don't think that is possible because these kind of speech chips are (partly) analogue.....so I don't think an FPGA can fully "capture" a speech synth like that.

However it depends ons what the analogue parts are. If it's simply only a DAC or amplifier those could be done just outside the FPGA.

Somewhere above it was mentioned that they could emulate the SC-01-A very well because it was decapped. Decapping means that they removed the top of the chip (mechanically and/or chemically) to make lots of pictures of the chip through microscopes. That way, its becomes clear exactly how a chip was built-up.

Often manufacturers of course did not give away EXACTLY how their chips worked, mostly they only provided functional block diagrams (Atari was an exception, they actually included pictures of their dies (=chips) in the datasheets of f.i. ANTIC, GTIA and POKEY. Maybe they didn't provide the datasheets outside of the company or they didn't think anyone could reproduce them anyway (they also never thought any third parties would program for their 2600 in those early years).

The available copies of Atari's datasheets are so bad that you can't make anything of those pictures by the way.

Raspberry Pi would be emulation.

mamedev.org says it is partially emulated:

"MAME 0.181 also marks the debut of Votrax SC-01 emulation in MAME, based on reverse-engineering die photographs. The digital section should be pretty much perfect, although there are still some issues in the analog section (plosives dont sound quite right). Overall, its a huge improvement in Votrax speech synthesis emulation, and a great leap forward in our understanding of how the hardware works. It also means speech samples are no longer required for a number of games."

AH, thank you for looking this up kind sir...

• 2 years later...

I got a VOICE BOX v1, and its not working on the ATARI 800, i replaced the SP chip from another working unit also check the SIO connection and voltages, 

did someone identify the logic chips used so i can try and replace them?

thanks

VOICE-BOX.jpg

7 hours ago, ndary said:

did someone identify the logic chips used so i can try and replace them?

Hi Nir

Post #37 on this thread shows a board with the chips serial numbers intact.

Regards,

Luis.

Edit: D'oh...I just noticed your board is different that the one on post #37...sorry...

Edited by lbaeza

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

Sometimes a bit of spit works too.  Until the spit dries up again.

Sincerely

Mathy

I have done that.

Edit: Be Very careful with Acetone. It attacks / melts many plastics.

:)

Edited by Kyle22
Acetone

8 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

yes, it can hurt plastics, but not plastic chips... go figure... :) different material form

Atari case plastics, Yes. Chips, not so much, but BE CAREFUL with it. That is my point.

It's the same reason you should NOT spill brake fluid on your car's paint when filling your master cylinder's tank.

Edited by Kyle22
brake fluid
  • Like 1