IGNORED

5200 Sales 86-90

Curt Vendel

So if I read it right, they sold almost 1.9 million games. I assume it is mostly stock they already had. That makes most of it profit from selling Atari's old products that the Tramiels had bought for next to nothing. When you don't have to do much of anything except ship it out, even if every game profited them only $2 on average, they got $3.8 million for nothing. Wow.

yea then you hear of the story of the atari landfill i wonder if they didnt play fast and loose with some of their figures to cook the books

Edited by bohoki

So if I read it right, they sold almost 1.9 million games. I assume it is mostly stock they already had. That makes most of it profit from selling Atari's old products that the Tramiels had bought for next to nothing. When you don't have to do much of anything except ship it out, even if every game profited them only $2 on average, they got $3.8 million for nothing. Wow.

yea then you hear of the story of the atari landfill i wonder if they didnt play fast and loose with some of their figures to cook the books

What do they gain by claiming sales of a dead console's games at often fire sale prices? Unless they were hiding revenue for organized crime, why claim sales that didn't happen of something no one cared about? It isn't like Atari's stock was dropping until Wall Street got wind that Atari moved nearly a million 5200 carts at half price four years after anyone cared.

• 2 weeks later...

All I can remember was in 1993 going to a 99 Cents Only stores in Southern California and buying up boatloads of 5200 Ballblazer, Gremlins, and Rescue on Fractalus. I literally put the cart next to the shelf, and then with one swoop of my arm, loaded the cart up. I bought everyone in the store because I knew how rare they were, and sold them on usenet. I think they had 35+ copies of each, was fun at the time. Each store had different games.

All I can remember was in 1993 going to a 99 Cents Only stores in Southern California and buying up boatloads of 5200 Ballblazer, Gremlins, and Rescue on Fractalus. I literally put the cart next to the shelf, and then with one swoop of my arm, loaded the cart up. I bought everyone in the store because I knew how rare they were, and sold them on usenet. I think they had 35+ copies of each, was fun at the time. Each store had different games.

Yah, that's about when I saw them at an indoor flea market in southern Florida as well. Whole bunch of them NOS.

Does anyone know how much the 5200 sold as a console?

after 1986 they were about $50 but they were only at clearance type toy stores

there was a bit of 2600 rebirth but i feel sorry for any ingorant parents that brought home one of these when everyone else had nofriendos

• 9 years later...