IGNORED

Ps3 Cross Edge

NIS has done it again. They take a bunch of characters that I love to play with (especially Morgan) and make a game out of it. Then the game play takes a while to start and understand what the developers are making out of it, just to find yourself playing it for an hour........what did you do for the last hour? Where are the power leveling tactics? I think this game needs to be reviewed.

If any one has played this game longer than an hour IS IT WORTH CONTINUING????????

Edited by neonesmaster

NIS has done it again. They take a bunch of characters that I love to play with (especially Morgan) and make a game out of it. Then the game play takes a while to start and understand what the developers are making out of it, just to find yourself playing it for an hour........what did you do for the last hour? Where are the power leveling tactics? I think this game needs to be reviewed.

If any one has played this game longer than an hour IS IT WORTH CONTINUING????????

I played for about 3 or 4 hours this evening. I have to say that I agree with your perception. I spent all that time playing and I don't really recall doing much during that time.

That's not inherently a bad thing. It was keeping me amused.

What I've seen of the storyline is extremely juvenile. I don't mean that in the "tee-hee bewbs" sense, although there is some of that (although, oddly, the characters seem mostly oblivious to Morrigan's cleavage). It's just that the story is really childish so far, like a Saturday morning cartoon. The storyline seems like the sort of thing aimed at people who have never played RPGs before. That's kind of odd considering how this is a massive RPG crossover game.

I don't think the game is going to shift gears no matter how many hours you play. If you really didn't want to continue after an hour, then you probably will want to set it aside. If you liked it the first hour and got into the idea of the combat system and crafting, then it will probably engage you further down the road.

Don't own it or anything, or a PS3, but that's about on par with what I was expecting out of this game. Of course, that being said, if the PS3 ever gets cheap enough for me to consider buying, and I can still find this game (cheaper than it is now - not paying 60 bucks cdn for it) then I'll pick up a copy.

I'm not holding my breath tho. By the time I find a cheap PS3, odds are this game will be nowhere to be found. (imo.)

I gave up on anything NIS put out after the first two Disgaea games due the more than excessive grinding. Grind to get your characters leveled, grind to get your items leveled, grind to get your innocients leveled. It was like trying to level up three RPGs at once. I don't know if Cross Edge is any better in this regard, but I simply can't devote 150+ hours to grinding for a so-so RPG.

Tempest

I gave up on anything NIS put out after the first two Disgaea games due the more than excessive grinding. Grind to get your characters leveled, grind to get your items leveled, grind to get your innocients leveled. It was like trying to level up three RPGs at once. I don't know if Cross Edge is any better in this regard

Nope. I haven't seen any evidence that it is.

but I simply can't devote 150+ hours to grinding for a so-so RPG.

And that's fair.

Nope. I haven't seen any evidence that it is.

I actually didn't even bother reading much beyond the synopses of this game after seeing the IGN review for it. (3.5 Bad)

But now that I see more reviews for it I might have to check it out.

The combat engine has some strong similarities to the Enchanted Arms battle system (crossed with Xenosaga and a fighting game). That's good, because I thought Enchanted Arms had an excellent battle system.

Really? I loved Enchanted Arms (great humor and a great battle system). I keep hoping they're make a sequel to it, but I don't think it sold well enough for that.

Tempest

The combat engine has some strong similarities to the Enchanted Arms battle system (crossed with Xenosaga and a fighting game). That's good, because I thought Enchanted Arms had an excellent battle system.

Really? I loved Enchanted Arms (great humor and a great battle system). I keep hoping they're make a sequel to it, but I don't think it sold well enough for that.

Tempest

Then you should rent it. Definitely don't buy it, because beyond the combat system it's just a grindathon. However, I'm getting sucked in by the combat, and if you liked Enchanted Arms you might enjoy the game's similar yet entirely different take on the concept.

Here's the thing, this game doesn't explain squat. The manual doesn't explain anything either. You just have to figure all the stuff out entirely on your own.

That combined with the grinding gives the game a very Dragon Warrior 1 type of vibe. If you do not want to walk in a circle for hours at a time, getting into random fights, do not even think about this game.

Enchanted Arms combat was a lot about maneuver. Then it was about building everyone's coop meter up for a big 4x combo attack.

Cross Edge downplays the maneuver because everyone generally has wider attack arcs. Maneuver doesn't even come into play until you're to the second world. Also, the combo system is much more detailed. Instead of just building up a coop bar and cutting loose, there are a wide array of attacks and you have to know which ones chain into others.

For instance, let's say I have York (gun dude), Raze (sword dude), Morrigan, and Felicia in my party. Assuming I have them all in the right place I can start off with:

York, Quick Shot (X) then Felicia and a Kick attack (also X).

That combo can be continued, and I decide to follow it up with Raze and Morrigan.

Raze, Critical Strike (square) then Morrigan with a kick attack (triangle)

And that combo can be continued which powers it up to a more powerful version with a slightly different graphic, and etc. Entering them is kind of like active time battle in the old Final Fantasy games.

So far my best has been a 114 hit combo which did about 8,400 points of damage. There are tons of different characters and each one has quite a few different moves you can assign. And none of it is the slightest bit clear. You just have to play with it until you figure out what you're doing.

I played Disgae 3 for 94 hours before I even had access to the Puppy paw Stick. I got the stick and fiddled with it for a bit, ut then I quit. Have not picked it up again....no pun intended.

Now, Cross Edge should have been a great game. It crosses so many rpg's and puts them together, but then again so did that other game and that flopped. what was I to expect out of this when I bought it?

Not much, so I tried to play for another 6 hours. I am not seeing much in the way of story and it is just so far me picking up all these people that dont remember each other but they do. So I am gonna play till I get all the characters and by then the story should come together, but I am not sure about all this level grinding...

Dragon Warrior 4 (leveling for Taloon) I think i need tog et out of this genre of game play?

Where are the good PS3 games?

Thanks for all the replies

Ok, so if I dont want to walk around a grind levels I can just hit the R1 button and it will take me to a battle automatically.... what does this do for ya? Well, you can level up faster by doing this and turning off the animation in the battles. Your guys attack, but just numbers come up. Then I found a spot that I could distribute some of my ap points to make my guys stronger kinda like when you level up you get a couple points, but I cant locate it again.

Can anyone help there?

There seems to be so much available to do on this game and they really dont tell you how to do any of it. Then the big trophies you get are just for collecting every item? I gotta make alchemy work for me in this game? Thats why i never played Manan Khemia for more than 6 hours or Atelier Iris 1,2 or 3.

What has happened to the PS3 rpg's

Ok, so if I dont want to walk around a grind levels I can just hit the R1 button and it will take me to a battle automatically

Ooooh, didn't know that.

I also found out that when you go into the Database trophy section and hit X on the trophy you earned, you get bonus stuff like items and money. I went from struggling to earn 10K gold to a savings account of 500K.

Then I found a spot that I could distribute some of my ap points to make my guys stronger kinda like when you level up you get a couple points, but I cant locate it again.

When you hit triangle to bring up the menus, move toward Status and hit triangle. It will bring up four options. Three of them are ways to sort the character list. The remaining one is an option to redistribute advancement points.

Ok, so if I dont want to walk around a grind levels I can just hit the R1 button and it will take me to a battle automatically

Ooooh, didn't know that.

I also found out that when you go into the Database trophy section and hit X on the trophy you earned, you get bonus stuff like items and money. I went from struggling to earn 10K gold to a savings account of 500K.

Then I found a spot that I could distribute some of my ap points to make my guys stronger kinda like when you level up you get a couple points, but I cant locate it again.

When you hit triangle to bring up the menus, move toward Status and hit triangle. It will bring up four options. Three of them are ways to sort the character list. The remaining one is an option to redistribute advancement points.

The game just doesnt explain a whole lot. Thank you for the support. i did not know I could click on the trophies and earn stuff. Thank for the help.

Ace

• 2 weeks later...

If you find yourself playing crossedge they have just released three new downloads for the game via the Playstation Store on the Playstation Network. You will find there are some ability powerups, some special healing items and some other stuff that will help boost your guys for those many battles once you get to the third world. Cross Edge definately takes some time to get into it, but if you learn about the instant battle button, life is good and levels become easier to achieve....

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone other than Neonesmaster and me pick this game up?

Despite the initial poor impression the game projected, something kept me playing and I grew to like it a lot. I guess it suits the way I like the play tactical RPGs: ignore the story and focus on the fun mechanical bits.

I hope the game gets a North American localization of the 360 version. It might be one I pick up a second time.

Did anyone other than Neonesmaster and me pick this game up?

Despite the initial poor impression the game projected, something kept me playing and I grew to like it a lot. I guess it suits the way I like the play tactical RPGs: ignore the story and focus on the fun mechanical bits.

I hope the game gets a North American localization of the 360 version. It might be one I pick up a second time.

Not yet and Im like you, I tend to ignore the story after a while (especially if its so confusing in translation) and concentrate on the fun gameplay.

I'm waiting for the 360 version but Im not sure because if I find this one discounted I'll buy it.

(It got really horrid reviews though) :(

Edited by cimerians