IGNORED

To sell or not to sell?

So my partner who owns the comic book store that I work with to sell video games is interested in purchasing my entire home console collection to help him build a strong inventory of classic stuff fast. I wouldn't even consider the offer, except that I now have a new obsession with Robotron and really, really want a cab that I have found up for sale here in the NE (check my blog at http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn for a little background on my new obsession). Most of the games in my collection currently just sit on the shelf or in boxes and are not played regularly. I can guarantee that I would probably play the Robotron almost daily. I would keep some of my prize items (like the Swordquest Waterworld cart and the vectrex system) if I did decide to go ahead and let the bulk of the collection go. I would also keep most of my NES stuff as that is my girlfriend's favorite system.

So what do you guys think? Would you sell one to get the other? How connected are you to your collections as a whole? Currently, I am not sure what I am going to do but am contemplating the sale to get the Robotron cab. Ah, such is the insanity of obsession I guess.

Hehe getting a mixed bag of comments on my home site similar to you two folks. Alot of people are saying don't sell, but as mimo indicated, there is value to having something that I know I will play regularly vs a stack of cart collecting dust. It is a hard decision. I am not sure what I am going to do yet.

Well, I've had a number of different things I've collected, and have sold of or traded off collections many times, and I have enjoyed rebuilding as well as having ached over things lost...

I can say though that any time I've let go of things out of boredom I've been less inclinded to be happy later, but when I ended up with something I really liked I tended to be happy about it later. :)

Hope that helps.

Gotta love choices like this. I keep going back and forth in my head. I think I want the Robotron cab more than the consoles & carts, but who knows how I will feel in a year or so. It just seems that the cabs are getting harder to find, but same goes for the old home console stuff. Decisions decisions.

Well, that's a Robotron cabaret, which is rarer, more valuable, and (to some) more desirable than a full sized upright. If the sides look as good as the front does and the game is running well without reset issues, then I'd dump the console games in an instant for that little gem.

Well, that's a Robotron cabaret, which is rarer, more valuable, and (to some) more desirable than a full sized upright. If the sides look as good as the front does and the game is running well without reset issues, then I'd dump the console games in an instant for that little gem.

Ahh, now THAT is precisely what the little voice in my head has been saying. I went as far as to book out my 2600 collection last night just to see what I have. May work on the NES and CV stuff this evening if I get some time. I am beginning to feel a bit like Gollum - "Must . . . have . . . . prescious" :D

Ahh, now THAT is precisely what the little voice in my head has been saying. I went as far as to book out my 2600 collection last night just to see what I have. May work on the NES and CV stuff this evening if I get some time. I am beginning to feel a bit like Gollum - "Must . . . have . . . . prescious" :D

If you are getting a good deal from the guy then maybe ,,,but I would think having just one game may get boring.

If you are getting a good deal from the guy then maybe ,,,but I would think having just one game may get boring.

Quality over quantity. Also, I'm pretty sure he's not going to dump every single game he owns in the process. If anything, it will be a good exercise in trimming the fat. And he'll wind up with a game he truly loves out of it, instead of having shelves/boxes full of games that he just HAS.

If that one falls thru let me know. I got a buddy who has a full size one that he may sell because he is moving to AZ in the near future.

Hey Joey, thanks! Please do check with your buddy and see if he wants to sell the cab and if so, what he is looking to get for it. He can contact me via email at waterborn@comcast.net

Dane

Sure thing he is out in AZ right now scopeing out jobs. He is due back in town in a few weeks. I will ask him and forward along the info. I do not know if he has intent to sell but i can not see him dragging it out to AZ with him if he decides to move there. -JR

Quality over quantity. Also, I'm pretty sure he's not going to dump every single game he owns in the process. If anything, it will be a good exercise in trimming the fat. And he'll wind up with a game he truly loves out of it, instead of having shelves/boxes full of games that he just HAS.

$900 worth of collection fat? In this economy?

My advice is to find another Robotron for a lot less money. Less pretty games play just as well as a super minty one and don't require you to sacrifice your whole collection to acquire.