IGNORED

Is earthbound for the SNES worth $50?

Cart only  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is earthbound worth $50?

• yes
    • no

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

my local gamers has a copy of earthbound SNES, and says it's rare and is charging $54.99 for it. no guide! is it worth that much? P.S. I also got the mario paint cart with mouse pad and mouse for $12. worth it?

It depends on why you're buying it. If you are buying it as an investment, then you should hold out for a better deal. If you are buying it because you want to play it then it is definitely worth $50. That's still cheaper than a new release current gen game.

Chris

• Like 1

No way is Eartbound worth $50 loose with no manual. No got-dang-way. You will find it at conventions for far better prices (look for it in the $30 range), if you make the rounds. Unless you just really really want it, wait.

There are some pretty crazy prices for it on eabay though... not that there aren't some deals occasionally, but I don't think a loose cart's gone for under $30 in a while. (barring cheaper buy it nows that get instantly snapped up), it's a lot like Super Mario RPG, except on top of the demand it's a bit rare to, relatively speaking. (Mario RPG beig expensive but rather costly)

I refuse to pay over $20 for any SNES game, I don't care much for complete, and usually a manual isn't necessary (though it's nice), in fact I'm not inclined to buy any singly game for much over $10. (inless it's a new modern and I've got gift money or similar) Didn't pay that kind of mony back in the day, and won't now... (my famil's almost always baught used, got the snes in winter of '95 iirc, and that was the main system through '99)

I think I got Super Mario RPG at Funco Land (not sure if they'd renamed it GameStop yet) arround 2002 iirc, when they were phasing out SNES stuff (and it was cheap), along with F-Zero and Sim City I think for a total of under $20. I knew of earthbound and liked it, and wouldn have probably gotten it if it showed up, but we didn't shop that often... Pocky and Rocky is one of those too, I think it's pretty rare now as well...

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

Talk about your necrobump. Honestly, I never loved the game, so if I had a chance to buy it at $50, I'd easily turn around and sell it. This would be my number 1 most overrated game.

I finished it once, was worth playing completely...once.  I've had 2 other copies since, kept the last one from nearly a decade ago when the price was already over 100, it cost me $2.  Later I got a nearly perfect guide missing the scratch n sniff card only for $60.  At that point in time a complete boxed game was $500. :)  I hold onto both, not because I enjoy them, but because replacement value I couldn't make myself pay but I have those small moments I would revisit it, and so it stays.  It, MOther on the whole, are grossly overrated and the third one was an epic slide after the duo before it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Millions? No. I read some time back that according to Nintendo about 150k copies sold in the US.

I bought my complete copy in 2006 for $85 and thought that was a bit of a push at the time. A loose cart was worth about $25-30. It's been slowly going up since. Until this year you'd expect to pay $100-150 for loose and about $500 for complete. Right now, mid Covid retro price frenzy rise for investments and flipping, prices are about triple that.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, bradhig1 said:

Why is this game soo expensive there must be millions of carts out there?

Supply and demand. If Wikipedia is to be trusted, 140k North American copies were sold, and not all of them remain. Demand for EarthBound seems ridiculously huge, what with it being a no-longer-hidden-gem.

• Like 2

Sell something because the SNES game cost is utterly disgusting, or get a modern 1:1 fake you'd have to unscrew to know is a fake.

Nintendo isn't making money on it any more than they have already on you with the CE console, shady as hell, but you did buy *A* license, so get a clone made and use that license there. ;)

• Like 2

Wow this thread is certainly a blast from the blast.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:56 AM, Tanooki said:

Sell something because the SNES game cost is utterly disgusting, or get a modern 1:1 fake you'd have to unscrew to know is a fake.

Nintendo isn't making money on it any more than they have already on you with the CE console, shady as hell, but you did buy *A* license, so get a clone made and use that license there. ;)

I would say if you're going to go the "buy bootlegs" route, you'd be better off in the long run just buying one of the SNES flashcarts. Then you're able to play any game on your system, along with rom hacks and homebrew games as well.

• Like 1