IGNORED

2600 Games To Avoid According To The Video Game Critic

4Ks

VGC is good, but he misses the point sometimes. I still can't forgive him for ripping Triple Action on Intellivision. Yes, the biplanes. That mini-game rules! You can steer out of a nose-dive!

And the ability to stall out is cool. I don't think too many plane games can do that.

How about Activision's Tennis, Boxing and Decathlon?

yes I know that question wasn't directed at me but I'm gonna answer them anyway :P

I think Tennis is a lot of fun, the AI opponent is nigh-impossible to beat, but that's half the fun, isn't it?

Boxing may be some fun with two players, against the computer it is boring as hell. That doesn't mean it's too easy, the AI does reasonably well, but even if you lose, it's boring... in my opinion that is.

However Decathlon... I can't see how anyone today can still like games like that. Yes I know, it's about the old games, retrogames, whatever you call it, however isn't it all about games that are good, despite their age, instead of games that were just misguided "controller killers" like that?

Another note on the VGC: Why does he hate 3D Tic-Tac-Toe so much? Not only does it get an F but reading the text he doesn't even treat it fairly.

Edited by Herbarius

VGC is good, but he misses the point sometimes. I still can't forgive him for ripping Triple Action on Intellivision. Yes, the biplanes. That mini-game rules! You can steer out of a nose-dive!

And the ability to stall out is cool. I don't think too many plane games can do that.

I think VGC has something against biplane games. Have you seen his review for Warbirds for the Lynx? His review does not justify the grade! I'm not sure there is an appreciation for the flight mechanics of WWI-era aircraft.
  • Like 1

How about Activision's Tennis, Boxing and Decathlon?

yes I know that question wasn't directed at me but I'm gonna answer them anyway :P

I think Tennis is a lot of fun, the AI opponent is nigh-impossible to beat, but that's half the fun, isn't it?

Boxing may be some fun with two players, against the computer it is boring as hell. That doesn't mean it's too easy, the AI does reasonably well, but even if you lose, it's boring... in my opinion that is.

However Decathlon... I can't see how anyone today can still like games like that. Yes I know, it's about the old games, retrogames, whatever you call it, however isn't it all about games that are good, despite their age, instead of games that were just misguided "controller killers" like that?

Another note on the VGC: Why does he hate 3D Tic-Tac-Toe so much? Not only does it get an F but reading the text he doesn't even treat it fairly.

Yeah, boxing against a friend its a lot of fun (against the ropes just punching, on lordy :)) Beating Tennis in hard its one of the high points of my childhood :)

Actually, I think 2600 was the last game system I ever played sports games on. I tried basketball in the PS/2 and I hated the complicated controls.

Activision's Tennis? I always thought the AI was quite easy to beat, once you knew where to place your shots.

Maybe I just didn't learn to place my shots yet, however I've read and heared the comment about the strong AI a couple of times, the VGC himself is one example, Classic Game Room would be another.

Edited by Herbarius

He's pretty good about re-reviewing things if you think he's wrong. All you have to do is ask him.....

Not from what I've seen. Most of the time I've seen him re-review stuff, he just upholds his original rating or bumps it up a little bit. Recently he re-reviewed F-Zero on the SNES and upheld the D he gave it (which doesn't make much sense).

The VGC isn't exactly one of the best reviewers I've seen. I know he covers a lot, but he's way overrated IMO. In addition, I don't like the occasional homophobic references he puts in his reviews, like in his review of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ("homo-rific"? Seriously?). If I wanted to be taken seriously as a game reviewer, I'd cut out the immature crap like that and just get straight to the point.

Edited by ApolloBoy

He's pretty good about re-reviewing things if you think he's wrong. All you have to do is ask him.....

Not from what I've seen. Most of the time I've seen him re-review stuff, he just upholds his original rating or bumps it up a little bit. Recently he re-reviewed F-Zero on the SNES and upheld the D he gave it (which doesn't make much sense).

Well, at he least he will re-review games. What more could you ask for? Of course his opinions aren't always going to be the same as yours, and you won't agree with some of his reviews, but at least he will do re-reviews.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

His reviews suck for the most part because he's way to harsh. More than half his games seem to be D's or F's. I mean Reactor, Super Cobra, Sky Jinks, Oink, Sky Skipper and Barnstorming are much better games than he's giving them credit for.

I like reading his reviews because they are short and he has reviewed a lot of games, but I agree he is too harsh a lot of the time. To me, an F should be given to games that are unplayable. Lots of glitches, things that don't make sense, etc. Other than those type of games (whatever they would be) I would think every game has some redeeming qualities to spare it an F. A programmer put a lot of time and creativity in them and they are playable at least.

I enjoy two year old threads as much as the next guy, but maybe we can keep the recent threads at the top.

Or I could help keep two year old threads at the top by being the first to say,"I like Video Checkers." :D

But if you start a brand new thread, someone will say "it's already been discussed HERE, HERE and HERE" with links to the respective threads.

I enjoy reading the VGC reviews: they're concise and humorous.

• Like 6

I enjoy two year old threads as much as the next guy, but maybe we can keep the recent threads at the top.

Or I could help keep two year old threads at the top by being the first to say,"I like Video Checkers." :D

But if you start a brand new thread, someone will say "it's already been discussed HERE, HERE and HERE" with links to the respective threads.

I enjoy reading the VGC reviews: they're concise and humorous.

That actually changed my mind about bumping old topics :)

He seems too harsh IMO. Its the same as IGN giving alone in the dark for ps2 a 0.0, that would be a blank disc. There arent many atari games that truely deserve an F

Good lord.....thats quite a list. I'm going to go ahead and continue playing some of those. Pac Man was a poor effort in terms of mirroring the arcade version....but once you get over that it has great playbility. QuadRun was one I never played until I got my FB2 but is pretty enjoyable. Slot Racer?.....that might be the best of all teh flagship titles. Of course he is spot on with some. I say try em all and decide for yourself

• Like 1

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial by Atari

Pac-Man by Atari

Spikes Peak by Xonox

Reactor by Parker Bros.

Pigs in Space by Atari

Oink! by Activision

Journey Escape by Data Age

I enjoy all the above. Yes, including Pac-Man. I just pretend Pac-Man never existed, and I can have fun with it.

This "games to avoid" thing is so useless and silly.We all have different tastes in video gaming.About 98 % of the games in those lists end up being my favorites.Imagine all the gaming goodness one would miss out on if they listened to these reviewers. :roll:

• Like 1

This "games to avoid" thing is so useless and silly.We all have different tastes in video gaming.About 98 % of the games in those lists end up being my favorites.Imagine all the gaming goodness one would miss out on if they listened to these reviewers. :roll:

I think a better thread would be "Simply Unplayable Atari 2600 Games." Really, there are some games that are just USELESS and unplayable. I'm not talking about frustrating pits ala ET, or disappointing graphics ala Pac-Man, but games that are impossible to play.

• Like 1