IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

Hello Peter,

I downloaded the fast installation on your site wudsn. And unpacked (c: // jac / wudsn / ... tool map etc.) when I started it gave no jawav.exe (java runtime). I have downloaded java jre 64bit as 32 bit now I get a bigger list.
My system is windows 10 64bit.
Can you just see if it's all right I also saw in the zip file where eclipse is not a jre folder.

Sincerely,
Marco

I downloaded the fast installation on your site wudsn. And unpacked (c: // jac / wudsn / ... tool map etc.) when I started it gave no jawav.exe (java runtime). I have downloaded java jre 64bit as 32 bit now I get a bigger list.

My system is windows 10 64bit.

Can you just see if it's all right I also saw in the zip file where eclipse is not a jre folder.

The JRE is not yet in this download (despite what is stated on one of the installation pages). That's the plan, but I had to remove it from the ZIP for now.

My plan is to include a pre-configured JRE with each download, but first I have to clarify some legal stuff about that as you must be registered at Oracle for the download of the version.

Means: You have to install the JRE that matches your OS and the Eclipse download, so all should be the 64-bit version.

In case Eclipse does not find the JRE automatically for some reason, you can specify it as described here:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini#-vm_value:_Windows_Example

• Like 1

Zero Installation Update

Both downloads (32/64-bit) now contain the matching Java JRE (currently 1.8.0) in the "eclipse/jre" which will be found automatically. So no more hassle with missing/wrong Java paths/versions!

• Like 2

Zero Installation Update

Both downloads (32/64-bit) now contain the matching Java JRE (currently 1.8.0) in the "eclipse/jre" which will be found automatically. So no more hassle with missing/wrong Java paths/versions!

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the zero installation i will check later today.

Gr. Marco

Hi Jac!,

Great job with the IDE as usual :). With the latest 0 install bundle that includes Java I finally got off my butt and tried it out a bit. I don't have Java installed on my computer and I don't fancy having it installed for everyone, so that's great!

As a first time user I was a bit weirded out that the bundled Altirra displays a blank screen no matter what you try to load, be it a assembled binary from the IDE or any atr/xex/etc. After a bit of looking around I found out that the issue is that the selected firmware is something called "JacOS" which is not present on the archive at all. Changing this to one of the bundled AltirraOSes fixed this.

Next was the "C:\jac|" hard dependency. A bit inconvenient as I might want to work on machines I don't have admin access, so a more portable version would be nice. That took a bit of convincing but I managed that eventually! First of all, modify the shortcut's target to:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start /D c:\wudsn Tools\IDE\Eclipse\4.x.x-win32-x86_64\eclipse\eclipse.exe
"Start in" shouldn't matter, but I set it to "." anyway.

post-10979-0-24504500-1547376611.jpg

Now eclipse can run from any folder, but the paths are messed up! Plus, a "c:\jac" folder will be created regardless. So, time to edit some files!

- Edit "Tools\IDE\Eclipse\4.x.x-win32-x86_64\eclipse\configuration\.settings\org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs" and remove "C\:\\jac\\wudsn\\"

- Edit "Tools\IDE\Eclipse\4.x.x-win32-x86_64\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\104\data\49071014\artifacts.xml" and remove "C\:\\jac\\wudsn\\"

- Edit "Tools\IDE\Eclipse\4.x.x-win32-x86_64\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\104\data\-615013262\artifacts.xml" and remove "C\:\\jac\\wudsn\\"

- Edit "Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\com.wudsn.ide.asm.prefs" and remove "C\:\\jac\\wudsn\\"

- Edit "Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.ide\dialog_settings.xml" and remove "C\:\\jac\\wudsn\\"

If you do all these then hopefully clicking the .lnk file will launch the IDE and have the default WUDSN view showing! In the diff I made between the original archive and my own install there are some other files changed but I don't think these matter.

In any case, again thanks to Jac! for all the hard work put into this project, and if anyone tries the changes I posted above, I'd be glad to know whether they work or not for them :).

As a first time user I was a bit weirded out that the bundled Altirra displays a blank screen no matter what you try to load, be it a assembled binary from the IDE or any atr/xex/etc. After a bit of looking around I found out that the issue is that the selected firmware is something called "JacOS" which is not present on the archive at all. Changing this to one of the bundled AltirraOSes fixed this.

>After a bit of looking around I found out that the issue is that the selected firmware is something called "JacOS"

Thanks for finding this. Will fix that asap! I recently separated my different installations, looks like I missed that out.

Regarding the paths: At one point there will be an own setup script that does this.

I first needed to get into a build process that allows me to build updates with a single click.

I am now creating similar processes for testing the installation (create empty eclipse, install update from the site, ..).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just getting into WUDSN. Pulled down the current Zero-Installation and put it in "C:\jac\wudsn". Everything seems to run OK, but the Help seems borked. I get an error page:

HTTP ERROR: 500

Problem accessing /help/index.jsp. Reason:

Server Error

Powered by Jetty://

I did a separate clean install and can reproduce the problem. It seems to be related to the Java JRE included. If a separate Java JDK is installed, it works. I'll try and see where the error comes from. If you have Java installed already on your machine, you can rename the "eclipse/jre" folder to "jre.old" as workaround.

I've tried it, but same effect. Eclipse opens and works fine. Help gives the same error.

Then you only have a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed. Test via:

C:\Users\JAC>java -version

java version "1.8.0_161"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b12)

You need to install a Java Development Kit (JDK 1.8+).

Then you only have a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed. Test via:

C:\Users\JAC>java -version

java version "1.8.0_161"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b12)

You need to install a Java Development Kit (JDK 1.8+).

Installed latest JDK and fixed up the path stuff. Now eclipse doesn't start up at all and gives no feedback of any kind. Here's version output:

C:\Windows\system32>java -version
java version "1.8.0_211"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_211-b12)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.211-b12, mixed mode)

• 4 weeks later...

Question for JAC or anyone else who knows: is there a good way to do BASIC editing in WUDSN alongside the assembly code? I have a project that is using BASIC with USR calls and it would be awesome if I could develop both in a unified way. Maybe something to convert the assembly code to DATA statements, plug them into BASIC source, and load the source into Altirra via ENTER "H6:..."?

Thanks for all your hard work on WUDSN!

Question for JAC or anyone else who knows: is there a good way to do BASIC editing in WUDSN alongside the assembly code? I have a project that is using BASIC with USR calls and it would be awesome if I could develop both in a unified way. Maybe something to convert the assembly code to DATA statements, plug them into BASIC source, and load the source into Altirra via ENTER "H6:..."?

Thanks for all your hard work on WUDSN!

If you use plain ATARI Basic the easiest to start with is using the Hex Editor from the context menu on the .XEX file and copy the file content as decimal values. These you can paste into a DATA statement of a .BAS file. The latter can be loaded with ENTER from H6:.

post-17404-0-21631200-1559577327_thumb.png

If you'd use TurboBasic XL, things are much easier as it has the BLOAD command with which you can directly load the .XEX into the RAM.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Important Announcement for WUDSN 1.7.1

After 7 years of successfully maintaining compatibility with Java 1.6/1.7, all Eclipse version and 32-bit architectures an era ends. Support by fixes in Java and Eclipse is only available for Java 1.8 and Eclipse 4.10 and later and both do not support 32-bit development environments anymore. Understandable in a time where every mobile phone has an 8-core 64-bit architecture. Therefore WUDSN IDE 1.7.1 requires Java 1.8, Eclipse 4.12 and a 64-bit operating system as a minimum.

The upcoming 1.7.1 is intentionally a minor version update, so there are no major feature changes and people who cannot migrate to the new environment can, of course, download the older version from the Releases page.

Starting from now (2019-08-31 15:00 CET), the daily build (https://www.wudsn.com/update/daily) is the WUDSN IDE 1.7.1 preview.
You have to use Java 1.8 or newer and
Eclipse 2019-06 / Eclipse 4.12 Platform Runtime Binary or newer. 

Pascal:

• Source code editor with the first version of syntax highlighting for Pascal Source Files (".pas") that can be used with Mad Pascal.
    MP.thumb.png.1b591d984d392868ea710c597339d751.png

Fixes:

• Online help now works again thanks to the update to Java 1.8 and newer Eclipse version.
  • Atari TrueType fonts by Mark Schmelzenbach updated to version 1.2, which fixes the look of the capital "J".
  • If the "Skip All Breakpoints" option is active, breakpoints are now correctly skipped.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Peter,

Sometimes, I think I am too stupid to use Eclipse.  For some reason, my install had no option to install/update software.  I installed the latest Eclipse and, for the first time ever, my workspace migrated perfectly.

I just tried your updates.  The "Skip All Breakpoints" works perfectly.  It will benefit me greatly.  I know I mentioned one use case but the other common use case for me is that I will try to track down a problem and I put several breakpoints into the code.  Then I run with breakpoints on and I might find what I think is the problem and make a code change.  Before, I had to disable all my breakpoints if I wanted to try for a clean run.  If my change didn't work, I would have to go put the breakpoints back.

I hope others find this as useful as I do.

Thanks again!

Rob

• Like 3

Welcome to the brave new world of Java 1.8 and further, JAC!

There comes a day when it is time to say good bye to the old Java SE. Anyway, everything older than 1.8 is out of support from Oracle (where are the old times when Java SE was a product of Sun Microsystems...).

We now have trying times with Java 9-12 and its licensing/release cycles.

I am not user of WUDSN, but out of curiosity, I installed the most recent version of Eclipse and the WUDSN plugins and imported one of my existing CC65/CA65 projects.

In 3 minutes I had a decent and fully functional environment for development, while exploiting Eclipse's C/C++ support for the C part and WUDSN for the assembler 6502 part. The build is makefile-based (I am not using WUDSN features to launch assemblers, but I see it is very useful and convenient for pure assembler coders).

Even without direct support for CA65, the assembler editing was a very pleasant experience.

I will explore more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Is there a link to the last version that runs on XP 32?

You will need 32-bit Java 8 from Oracle. It should still work on Windows XP, though it is not officially supported. In case recent updates of Java 8 do not work,

you can download archived versions https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html.

I believe an Oracle account is needed to download those archive versions.

Then you will need the latest version of Eclipse that supports 32-bit Java. This is Eclipse 2018-09 Ra.  https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2018-09/r

And latest version of WUDSN that supports 32-bit Java. That is 1.7.0 - https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/releases 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, baktra said:

I am not user of WUDSN, but out of curiosity, I installed the most recent version of Eclipse and the WUDSN plugins and imported one of my existing CC65/CA65 projects.

In 3 minutes I had a decent and fully functional environment for development, while exploiting Eclipse's C/C++ support for the C part and WUDSN for the assembler 6502 part. The build is makefile-based (I am not using WUDSN features to launch assemblers, but I see it is very useful and convenient for pure assembler coders).

Even without direct support for CA65, the assembler editing was a very pleasant experience. I will explore more.

Great to see you trying this combination. And yes, using makefile is the recommended way for anything that requires thinks like linking, disk image creation incl. external ressource etc.. I plan to add better support for that via new @nnotation, so you don't have to configure them as external tools in Eclipse. And one fine day I'll add CA65 syntax...

15 hours ago, baktra said:

You will need 32-bit Java 8 from Oracle. It should still work on Windows XP, though it is not officially supported. In case recent updates of Java 8 do not work,

you can download archived versions https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html.

I believe an Oracle account is needed to download those archive versions.

Then you will need the latest version of Eclipse that supports 32-bit Java. This is Eclipse 2018-09 Ra.  https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2018-09/r

And latest version of WUDSN that supports 32-bit Java. That is 1.7.0 - https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/releases 

1 day user and already gives excellent technical advice before I have the chance, ace! 

• Like 1

I might be 1 day user of WUDSN, but I have been sailing the "Turgen System" ship through the treacherous brown oceans of coffee since the good old times of Java 1.3.

I hope kyle22 will happilly stay "in the zone" with Windows XP for a while. It is delaying the inevitable, though.

Edited by baktra
Typos
  • Like 2