IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

Ah, yes. You are correct. I see that mentioned at the top of page 25 of this thread. I thought it was more about not moving to Win 7 (As you can tell, I didn't insist you move to Vista. ? ).
So, how married are you to the 32 bit architecture? I'm sure you someone would donate a Core 2 Duo & motherboard to you. Heck, if I had one I would. That would allow you to move to the 64 bit architecture.
I feel your pain but unfortunately the 64 bit Windows OS has been available since XP (Albeit not officially released) so the writing has been on the wall. I guess we could ask Peter how difficult it would be to support these two architectures but I would suspect he would require someone else to maintain that branch. Seeing that very few people are still on the 32 bit architecture and one can either be giving a old 64 bit PC OR install Linux on a Raspberry PI, it seems the expected change going forward should be on the user.

• Like 1

Hi,

I actually have a desktop running XP-32, but it also runs Debian 9 reasonably well. I don't have a reason to throw it out, and it is a great machine for burning Blu-ray disks. Having links to the last 32 bit builds of WUDSN, Eclipse and Java is a useful resource, as WUDSN is a pretty mature product, and works really well as it is. I do most my day to day computering on a 64 bit Windows 10/Linux machine, but I boot into Windows maybe once a month, mainly just to run Windows Update.

Yeah, I also have a PC that's dual booting Win XP and Win 98. I named it Retro Rescue and it contains a whole bunch of antiquated storage devices in it so that I could use it to save off data from ancient PC media. XP was an awesome OS and although Microsoft has had some slip-ups with Vista and Win 8, Win 7 and Win 10 have been good to me (aside from what you mentioned previously about data collection).
Since you mentioned you have a Win10/Linux box it appears you aren't out of options and that although you like your XP machine, this is just another reason why you won't be able to use it as much as you might have previously had done.
One last thing. I once purchased Microsoft's fingerprint reading device for XP. I used it to log into my PC. When Windows Vista came out they promised that they would write drivers for that OS BUT they only wrote it for the 32bit version. Of course, by that point people mostly installed the 64bit version so....it wasn't the first time i recognized Microsoft's lack of continued support for their hardware. Still, what sorta stung was that promise to write drivers for it.  So, it's now hooked up to good ol' Retro Rescue.

On 9/13/2019 at 9:58 PM, Kyle22 said:

This will be off topic, so please feel free to delete it.

Some of us like XP because it does NOT support the telemetry update that M$ pushes back as far as 7.

I refuse to be spied upon.

Using Palemoon browser on XP32 on an i5 Quad. It's FAST. :)

Learn how to disable it on 7 and 10.  Also, please stop the paranoia and conspiracy shit all the time.  The world isn't flat, and use newer OSes or don't be secure in this digital world we live in.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

LOL unless you personally participated in writing XP or any other OS out there for the PC, how do you know with 100% certainty that it isn't allowing someone to spy on you? For anyone that is soooo afraid of this possibility, I suggest that you buy a VW bug (it has absolutely no onboard computers or electronics of any kind), only use an 8-bit computer with no network connection, don't own or use any kind of cell phone, and stay away from your windows. Oh and be sure to watch out for the Smart Meter :) .

Just kidding :rolling: .

Bottom line is that if the government (or anyone in any position of power and money) finds you interesting enough to want to spy on you, they're already doing it, and there is probably nothing you can do to stop it. In fact if you are trying to remain incognito, posting on this forum means you already screwed up, since your ISP has total access and the government can request that they hand over any data that traveled through their portal.

Moderator please feel free to delete this off topic post :) .

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Please don't accuse me of being a flat earther. Those guys are the ultimate level of stupid.

Well... a close second. Don't forget 'Inside America'. :)

7 hours ago, mytek said:

LOL unless you personally participated in writing XP or any other OS out there for the PC, how do you know with 100% certainty that it isn't allowing someone to spy on you?

Now: although I wouldn't go back to XP unless paid handsomely to do so, and despite the fact I use Windows 10 and didn't care enough when I installed it to even attempt to disable the telemetry at all (aside from turning off all the obnoxious stuff which can be disabled during installation), I can understand why someone concerned with privacy might be reluctant to install the newer operating system (I guess the MS haters who use nothing but Linux are not all tinfoil hat wearers).

I have kind of given up at this point. My Android smart phone's Google Assistant has taken to springing into action for no good reason at all (even in response to a video of mine played while the phone was in earshot), and since I have not enabled voice activation of the Google assistant, I have to assume the thing is potentially capable of recording all my conversations (and Google - by default, unless one explicitly 'opts out' - does store on one's account audio files of all voice-activation commands). But I'm probably already marked for the Gulag. :)

7 hours ago, mytek said:

In fact if you are trying to remain incognito, posting on this forum means you already screwed up

Well, perhaps Kyle is using a VPN, which is a fairly credible attempt at protecting one's online privacy. It may not be possible to completely avoid being tracked, targeted by marketing, monitored by the government, etc, but I don't see any reason why anyone who is concerned about this kind of thing would make being tracked any easier than it already is. And I think this is the point: mitigating the risks. I doubt you'll find an Echo Dot in Kyle's house, and you wouldn't find one in mine either. My phone is bad enough. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

There are a lot more practical reasons for being upset with the direction things are headed if some wags are to be believed. I actually have a Yahoo mail account that is virtually unusable because of the level of advertisements and junk they shovel at you. According to one wag, 40% of the Internet is tracking and advertising. You pay for that with your connection fees and slower response from web sites. Think about it if that figure is right, it is in the face of all the streaming Netflix, YouTube, et al that goes on. It has the ring of truth to it in that one of my friends from Mexico only pays $11/month for his cellphone service.

Not funny particularly. I made a 911 call because of a psycho that refused to leave my house. Once they knew police were on the way she agreed to leave and I gave her a ride back to town. I notified the police their services were no longer needed. About 8 miles from my house a cop car came up behind me and pulled me over to the side of the road. I then went through ~an hour of searches and questioning and genuinely rude questions and accusations on the side of the road. Understand for some reason I get swatted a lot. I've had two people call in that I was armed and murdering someone. I've had people say I own a 100 lb pitbull that was attacking people in the neighborhood. I've had people call in domestic violence reports as in wife beater, I live alone.<sic> I've had people call in my house was on fire with choking black smoke coming in their house through the foundation, fake of course. I won't own a cellphone that doesn't have a removable battery.

Understand a lot of this I've brought on myself. I do some charity work with homeless and their mental problems are an impediment to their own best interests. One woman showed me a report from 911 where she had called them 19 times to report the same guy as proof she wash't paranoid. :) 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 11:39 PM, Stephen said:

Learn how to disable it on 7 and 10.  Also, please stop the paranoia and conspiracy shit all the time.  The world isn't flat, and use newer OSes or don't be secure in this digital world we live in.  Thank you.

I run Pi-hole for DNS, solves a lot of spyware issues. 

1715802831_BlockedDomains.png.bce7d9da01804328bbdbfc1084cf865a.png

• Like 1

Update:
In the daily build, the Hex Editor is now included as separate plugin. If I did it right, it will continue to work as before, so please report any unexpected change in the Hex Editor like missing texts etc..

As a new feature, the hex editor now also recognizes IFF files and displays their structure accordingly.

HexEditor-FileFormat-IFF.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hello Peter & WUDSN-IDE Users!,

i'd be interested in the new Pascal syntax highlighting (for use with MAD Pascal) in WUDSN 1.7.1; unfortunately I did not succeed:

I got the 'Zero Install Download' from Peters Website and then used "Help -> Check for Update " Option to upgrade to WUDSN 1.7.1

Unfortunately I don't get any highlighting with .pas files nor do i see Mad Pascal options in the preferences section.

I'm sure the mistake lies on my side - i am a newie here -  maybe someone can point to what I missed to set it up correctly.

16 hours ago, Atlan_Roland said:

Hello Peter & WUDSN-IDE Users!,

i'd be interested in the new Pascal syntax highlighting (for use with MAD Pascal) in WUDSN 1.7.1; unfortunately I did not succeed:

I got the 'Zero Install Download' from Peters Website and then used "Help -> Check for Update " Option to upgrade to WUDSN 1.7.1

Unfortunately I don't get any highlighting with .pas files nor do i see Mad Pascal options in the preferences section.

I'm sure the mistake lies on my side - i am a newie here -  maybe someone can point to what I missed to set it up correctly.

Hello Roland. Current there are no preferences yet, only highlighting. Building can be done with regular batch scripts triggered from Eclipse. I'll send you a PM to sort this out.

• 2 months later...

Sometime you simply need some distance from a project, to come with a really nice solution. And something it's not even you, who has the clever idea ?

The IDE currently has the limitation, that parsing is always starting at the currently open file.
This is not a problem for single file project, but if the project gets bigger you want to use include files.

Problem: If you have the include file open, the labels etc. from the main source file and it's other includes are not available (for forward navigtion, auto-completion ...).

I always had the plan to let the parser start at the main file instead, but that is a major rework.

Mariusz Buk came up with neat idea, which I have slightly adapted here: Simply add source include statements that are never use at compile time.

File: SillyMenu.asm

;

; Main File

;

icl "SillyMenu-Controls.asm"

main code, here the navigation works

File: SillyMenu-Controls.asm

;
;    >>> SillyMenu by JAC! <<<
;
;    @com.wudsn.ide.asm.mainsourcefile=SillyMenu.asm

.if 1 = 0
    icl "SillyMenu.asm"
    .endif

This will make navigation work for labels defined in the main or other parallel files.

There is small limitation: The proposed label names will have the scope of the current file. But that will typically not matter.

In the long run, the IDE will lean to interpret the main source file correct. Until this, this can be useful.

Thanks Mariusz!

• Like 3

One of the features I use a lot is CTRL + mouse pointer Hyperlink Navigation to other routines, labels etc. When I first split a project into multiple include files I noticed that the feature would only work from the first file. I thought this might be a problem with one of my Eclipse settings but nothing fixed it. Purely by chance, I added a line in the include file to include the main file within an .IF and things worked. 

I now list all project files at the bottom of each source and can navigate around the whole project - for example:

.IF 0
     ICL "Major_Blink_Master.asm"
     ICL "Major_Blink_5200_Init.asm"
     ICL "Major_Blink_5200_Main.asm"
     ICL "Major_Blink_5200_Extras.asm"
     ICL "Major_Blink_5200_Titles.asm"
     ICL "Major_Blink_5200_VBI.asm"
     ICL "Major_Blink_5200_Music.asm"
     ICL "Major_Blink_5200_Data.asm"
          .ENDIF

Whenever I add a file to a project I also add it to the 'includes' list at the bottom of each file.

NB: The hyperlink navigation did stop working one day and I spent ages trying to work out why labels wouldn't highlight as required. It turned out that I'd closed the Outline view in order to see more of the Project Explorer. Simply opening up the Outline view made the hyperlinks work again. I'm not sure if that's something obvious that I should have realised?

I'm using the following annotation to set the required output filename:

; @com.wudsn.ide.asm.outputfile=Timeslip_5200.bin

I've updated the project so it can now use the same source files to create the A8 version, with certain code conditionally assembled using:

.IF MACHINE_TYPE = ATARI_5200

Ideally, I would like to set a flag at the top of the first file that dictates the build type (MACHINE_TYPE = ATARI_5200 or ATARI_A8) and have that determine the output filename. There doesn't seem to be any way of doing this as it always uses the first annotation found. I've worked around the problem by creating an additional 'first' file that has the annotation for the A8 output filename and then includes the 'first' file for the 5200 project. This works as it ignores the annotation in the 5200 file.

The problem with this method is that if I press Compile and Run from one of the include files it always creates the 5200 project.

Is there a way to selectively set the output filename that I'm missing?

Thanks Jon

Edited by Nojeee

3 hours ago, Nojeee said:

I'm using the following annotation to set the required output filename:

; @com.wudsn.ide.asm.outputfile=Timeslip_5200.bin

I've updated the project so it can now use the same source files to create the A8 version, with certain code conditionally assembled using:

.IF MACHINE_TYPE = ATARI_5200

Ideally, I would like to set a flag at the top of the first file that dictates the build type (MACHINE_TYPE = ATARI_5200 or ATARI_A8) and have that determine the output filename. There doesn't seem to be any way of doing this as it always uses the first annotation found. I've worked around the problem by creating an additional 'first' file that has the annotation for the A8 output filename and then includes the 'first' file for the 5200 project. This works as it ignores the annotation in the 5200 file.

The problem with this method is that if I press Compile and Run from one of the include files it always creates the 5200 project.

Is there a way to selectively set the output filename that I'm missing?

Thanks Jon

Hello Jon,

no, different platforms require different main files. I typically do it like this

Example-800-Main.asm

; @com.wudsn.ide.asm.platform=ATARI800

.DEF MACHINE_TYPE = ATARI_800

ICL "Example-Main"

Example-5200-Main.asm

; @com.wudsn.ide.asm.platform=ATARI5200
  .DEF MACHINE_TYPE = ATARI_5200
  ICL "Example-Main.asm"

And then I have a build script that runs MADS on Example-800-Main.asm with -d MACHINE_TYPE=ATARI_800, then Example-5200-Main.asm -d MACHINE_TYPE=ATARI_5200, packages it all up into ROMs files /disk images and ZIP that. You can integrate these build scripts into WUDSN IDE than as external commands. 

You can check the source of my SillyPacks for build script examples.

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=80216

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nojeee said:

>Simply opening up the Outline view made the hyperlinks work again. I'm not sure if that's something obvious that I should have realised?

Sure it's not something you'd normally expect. It simply comes from the fact that the parser was implemented for the outline initially.
And then on day I realized that the output can be used also in the editor. If put the remark on the backlog.

2 hours ago, JAC! said:

You can check the source of my SillyPacks for build script examples.

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=80216

Thanks for the information, I've downloaded the examples ... I think I'm a bit lazy and do everything within the IDE. I've resurrected lots of my old projects and it's really easy just to open one up in the Project Explorer, load any source and hit Compile and Run.

I've been working on a few conversions of my A8 games to the 5200 and then decided the changes warranted new A8 versions ... hence the reason the 5200 is currently the 'default'.

I'm glad I haven't missed anything with forcing the output filename. Everything works fine at the moment - if I start from my A8 file it sets MACHINE_TYPE = ATARI_A8 and then includes the 'real' main file. This checks if MACHINE_TYPE has been defined, if not it sets it to ATARI_5200. The output filename is set correctly having been set to an .exe if started by the A8 main file (the .bin annotation in the 'real' main file is ignored). I hope that makes sense?

Thanks for producing such an invaluable tool ... this, coupled with Altirra, makes life so much easier.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 11:15 PM, Tickled_Pink said:

Been trying to use WUDSN for some 2600 coding and for some reason it's not picking up that it's a 2600 project and is instead launching Altirra instead of Stella. Any idea where I might be going wrong?

You not doing anythings wrong. It just the default behaviour. WUDSN defaults to MADS and MADS default to "Atari800" as the platform. You can explicitly set the platform via the @com.wudsn.ide.asm.haradware=ATARI2600 annotation in the source code.

See https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/faq#FAQHardwareAnnotation for details.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 2020-08-05: Zero-Installation Download updated to Eclipse 2020-06 / 4.16

One year has passed since I last bumped the zero-installation download to the latested Eclipse version, so it was time to do it again.
If you already have a working installation, you can simply replace the contents of the "C:\jac\wudsn\Tools\IDE\Eclipse" folder with the folder from the download.

Check http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation for details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2