IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

I read the overview of the feature and watched the video on the image conversion but I'm not having a ton of success with loading and converting images from png and bmp. I see there are settings for columns and rows. I assumed this might be the required resolution of the source image but after importing, I just see a black square.
Are their more comprehensive instruction that go over each option and how it affects the imported image?

On 11/14/2020 at 9:40 AM, Grevle said:

I try for the first time using this and when i try compile i get this message always "operation compile is not possible because the file in the editor is not located in the worksapce" yes it says "worksapce" but should be "workspace" ? . I try loading the *.asm file from the workspace directory but i always get the same message. im trying to use atasm for now. Eclipse version

Version: 2020-09 (4.17.0)
Build id: 20200910-1200

For win x64

-------- Never Mind ----- i got it working

Thanks for the hint, the typo is fixed in DEV branch now.

The error message appears if you open a file via drag & drop or "Open File". In that case the file is opened with an absolute path and has no relation to the workspace folder. But since some things in the IDE are relative to the workspace folder, they cannot work in that mode.

The solution is put the relevant files into a sub-folder e.g. "Atari800" of the workspace folder and then open them via the project explorer in the IDE.

Folders.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

I read the overview of the feature and watched the video on the image conversion but I'm not having a ton of success with loading and converting images from png and bmp. I see there are settings for columns and rows. I assumed this might be the required resolution of the source image but after importing, I just see a black square.
Are their more comprehensive instruction that go over each option and how it affects the imported image?

Hi Michael,

no, there is not more compresenive description yet. It's always been on the todo list for new video tutorial but real life keeps me away from that. Let's clarify you case in our fb chat and present the result here are an example.

- Peter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still amazed that we have this and thank you @JAC!

I'm going to ask a question but I have to confess, I didn't read all the pages in this thread or watch all the tutorials. I will watch the tutorials soon.

Here are two questions.

1. I'm using the zero-installation files (it is a lot easier to get them working than setting up, at least for right now... but I will set it up later). It is working. However, if I create a new file, say hw.asm and then says open with MADS, I will get it to work and show the right syntax colors. When I open Eclipse, it goes away, only for my file and I have to do open with MADS again.

2. Has anyone made this work (and I'm assuming that it is possible) for the 16-bit compilers for the 65c802, for example using @drac030 's ASM compiler (ELSA) ?

ELSA:

Thanks

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

Has anyone made this work (and I'm assuming that it is possible) for the 16-bit compilers for the 65c802, for example using @drac030 's ASM compiler (ELSA)

ELSA is not a Windows program :D ELSA is a native assembler, it runs on Atari. MADS on PC can also assemble 65C802/65C716 code.

i’m case this question was lost in the previous answer: 

I'm using the zero-installation files (it is a lot easier to get them working than setting up, at least for right now... but I will set it up later). It is working. However, if I create a new file, say hw.asm and then says open with MADS, I will get it to work and show the right syntax colors. When I open Eclipse, it goes away, only for my file and I have to do open with MADS again.

8 hours ago, Blues76 said:

i’m case this question was lost in the previous answer: 

I'm using the zero-installation files (it is a lot easier to get them working than setting up, at least for right now... but I will set it up later). It is working. However, if I create a new file, say hw.asm and then says open with MADS, I will get it to work and show the right syntax colors. When I open Eclipse, it goes away, only for my file and I have to do open with MADS again.

That sounds strange. Maybe you have the .asm extension assigned to something else in Windows or in Eclipse?
Maybe this helps: How to I associate my source file extensions with the correct editor?
in https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/faq, incl. the link to the video tutorial.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a bug in 1.7.1. The "Open with..." option to select the editor you want to use isn't remembering its settings. For example, if I select a file that defaults to the MADS editor and "Open with" the plain text editor, it will correctly use the plain text editor. But if I close the file and double-click it to open it again it opens in the MADS editor. It used to remember the last "Open with" value and use it again when double-clicking a file.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some further research on the "Open with..." issue detailed in the previous post and can confirm it only occurs with Eclipse 2020-12. I tried both 2020-06 and 2020-09 and they both work correctly. So now I guess the question is does WUDSN need an update to support 2020-12 or is it a 2020-12 bug that needs to be fixed upstream?

Edited by dukdukgoos
spelling

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jimbob89 said:

Having a problem getting this to work for 2600. Getting this error on compile:

"Expected list file 'C:\jac\system\Atari800\Tools\IDE\WUDSN\Workspace\2600\atari.lst' does not exist. Check the compiler preferences and make sure you have set the option '-l${outputFilePathWithoutExtension}.lst'.

I set preferences to Stella, dasm to compile. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Further to this, I managed to get it to work, only once. Since shutting down and starting up again, problem has returned. I can see the lst file on the left, and even open it, yet wudsn is telling me it doesn't exist!

Even with the correct location ..... : Expected list file 'C:\jac\wudsn\Workspace\Atari2600\HelloWorld.lst' does not exist. Check the compiler preferences and make sure you have set the option '-l${outputFilePathWithoutExtension}.lst'.

Edited by Jimbob89

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, dukdukgoos said:

Has anyone heard anything from JAC recently? It's been a while and with covid going around it's a bit worrying...

Hi, I'm healthy but yes, due to the COVID thing and now 1 year of home office the life balance got ... out of balance. I'm about to change these things right now and plan to be back with my Atari stuff soon.

• Like 10

On 1/10/2021 at 2:54 AM, dukdukgoos said:

I did some further research on the "Open with..." issue detailed in the previous post and can confirm it only occurs with Eclipse 2020-12. I tried both 2020-06 and 2020-09 and they both work correctly. So now I guess the question is does WUDSN need an update to support 2020-12 or is it a 2020-12 bug that needs to be fixed upstream?

I tried to swap in Eclipse 2021-03 and get a lot of error/exceptions. I'll try and see what I can do here.

image.thumb.png.a4f2246bc27df3b5092e12fd5bec8e2a.png

EDIT: I found that is these message and missing icons are related to cached data in the workspace from old Eclipse parts of previous installs. My solution was to delete the ".metadata" folder in the workspace to clean it. Then you'll have to re-import the projects from file system using "File / Open Projects from File System" and then set the paths to the assemblers/emulators again. So you should export them before using "File / Export / Preferences / Assembler Preferences" and import them again.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 2:54 AM, dukdukgoos said:

I have checked this in 2021-03 and there the problem exists also outside of WUDSN. It seems to be a general regression in Eclipse. I've filed a bug there: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=572503

• Like 1

According to the developer update on that bug report it looks like it's intentional and they won't be fixing it. It seems like "Open with... Other" will do basically the same thing? I'm unclear as it whether it still remembers the setting per file or only by filename or ext. If it's the latter then that's a drag, as lots of files with the same name or extension need to open in different editors.

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2021 at 12:58 AM, dukdukgoos said:

According to the developer update on that bug report it looks like it's intentional and they won't be fixing it. It seems like "Open with... Other" will do basically the same thing? I'm unclear as it whether it still remembers the setting per file or only by filename or ext. If it's the latter then that's a drag, as lots of files with the same name or extension need to open in different editors.

I've tested it and the options offered in the editor selection dialog are not sufficient. I've reopened the corresponding bug report.

• Like 1

Note: Some user have reported problems like "Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could no be found" updating to the lasted (1.7.2.x) version of WUDSN IDE plugin.
As we found the problem typically is that the Eclipse version itself was too old. For WUDSN 1.7.2 you need as least Eclipse 2021-03 (aka 4.19).

Here is the complete release list and the Eclipse versions required foryour reference: https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/releases

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAC! said:

Note: Some user have reported problems like "Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could no be found" updating to the lasted (1.7.2.x) version of WUDSN IDE plugin.
As we found the problem typically is that the Eclipse version itself was too old. For WUDSN 1.7.2 you need as least Eclipse 2021-03 (aka 4.19).

Here is the complete release list and the Eclipse versions required foryour reference: https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/releases

I don't want to update Eclipse past 2020-09 because of the file extension/editor regression, so should I stay at 1.7.1? I could try updating to 1.7.2 as it's likely it works with 2020-09, but if you know it doesn't I won't try.

16 hours ago, dukdukgoos said:

I don't want to update Eclipse past 2020-09 because of the file extension/editor regression, so should I stay at 1.7.1? I could try updating to 1.7.2 as it's likely it works with 2020-09, but if you know it doesn't I won't try.

Then you should stay on 1.7.1. You don't lose anything functionally. The main purpose of 1.7.2 we pushing up the versions of all components.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lo....  I recently did a new install on Linux, new eclipse, and fresh update of WUDSN.

The Hex editor display only looks ok when the ASCII character set  is chosen.   If any of the Atari character sets is chosen it ends up with microscopic, tiny font that is not readable.

I added Atari 8-bit true type fonts to the system and have used them in other programs.  I went into eclipse visual setting and was able to choose the Atari truetype fonts for Diff display.

What font setting do I need to look for to set WUDSN's hex editor display?

On 5/24/2021 at 4:54 AM, kenjennings said:

Hi lo....  I recently did a new install on Linux, new eclipse, and fresh update of WUDSN.

The Hex editor display only looks ok when the ASCII character set  is chosen.   If any of the Atari character sets is chosen it ends up with microscopic, tiny font that is not readable.

I added Atari 8-bit true type fonts to the system and have used them in other programs.  I went into eclipse visual setting and was able to choose the Atari truetype fonts for Diff display.

What font setting do I need to look for to set WUDSN's hex editor display?

Hi, I'll try to setup a Linux VM an check what's missing.

• Like 1