IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello there, I'm trying WUDSN which seems a really great tool.

I'm testing a screen flashing program which I already compiled with DASM by hand and I know it works.

I've set up the WUDSN plugin and specified the path to the DASM compiler, but when I try to compile the project, I get an error in the problems tab that says that the path to the MADS compiler is not set.

How do I tell WUDSN that I want to use DASM and not MADS?

Thanks in advance!

Update:

I realized I had to associate the .asm extension to the DASM editor.

Now it compiles, but in .bin format for Atari 2600, how do I specify WUDSN to compile for Commodore 64?

From the command line I just run

DASM hello.asm -ohello.prg

And it figures out to build for C64 on its own.

Edited by Petruza

WUDSN support several target platforms. Every compiler is associated with a default platform which is used unless you specify the platform in the source. Defaults for ".asm" is MADS. Default for "MADS" is "ATARI8BIT", default for DASM is "ATARI2600". The platform also determines the executable file extensions. Default for C64 is ".prg", for "ATAR2600" it's ".bin"-

Add the following line as the first line and close/re-open the file.

; @com.wudsn.ide.asm.hardware=C64

The files are accessible with their new names using all DOS

Unfortunately there is no such thing as "with all DOS". I had the same issue as Jon has with "DIR2ATR.EXE" by HIAS and MyDOS.

It filter out the "_", breaking the (already 8.3) filename and causeing error 170.

MyDos also allows "_" and it's frequently used by existing software. At the same time, MyDOS does not allow digit '0'...'9' as the first characters of file names.

Hence to make it work for all DOSes, we would have to filter them out, too.

But since the whole idea of the filtering is to make the Windows file name compatible the 8-bit DOS in question,

a DOS specific filtering (that's what HIAS also did) would a good way of making existing software work with AspeQT.

Before the DOS selection for folder images was there this would have been guesswork, but now it has become feasible.

Edited by JAC!

• 2 months later...

Hi Jac!

I have trouble using the Debug mode. My IDE (Juno) does not generate that the ".atdbg" file which I can see in your demonstration video at youtube.

I don't know if it is of importance, but I'm also missing that small "Atari Icon" which you have used to start the emulator.

Am I right, that the .atdbg file is generated by WUDSN? So not a result of MADS?

I ensured the parameters look identical to those in the video.

I'm sure it must be something simple .. Maybe I simply downgrade Eclipse maybe that does the trick?

grüße,

\twh

1) Which file extension do you use for source files and is it associated with MADS?

2) Have you selected "Altirra" as "Application to open Output File" in the preferences?

Only if this is selected, .atdbg file will be created because otherwise WUDSN IDE does not know which emulator the OS will use for the ".xex" file

1) Which file extension do you use for source files and is it associated with MADS?

2) Have you selected "Altirra" as "Application to open Output File" in the preferences?

Only if this is selected, .atdbg file will be created because otherwise WUDSN IDE does not know which emulator the OS will use for the ".xex" file

Mhm.

1) my file is located under a directory and is called "prototype/Prototype.asm". It is associated with the MADS (default) editor. I can see the corresponding symbol too.

2) see screenshot: my setup is German, but I think I configured it correctly:

post-2336-0-46303100-1367176549_thumb.png

Edited by twh/f2

This output configuration is correct. You mentioned the Atari icon is not here in the toolbar button, can you post that?

And you can also try to explicitly put "; @com.wudsn.ide.asm.hardware=ATARI8BIT" as the first line of the source, close and re-open the file.

This output configuration is correct. You mentioned the Atari icon is not here in the toolbar button, can you post that?

And you can also try to explicitly put "; @com.wudsn.ide.asm.hardware=ATARI8BIT" as the first line of the source, close and re-open the file.

Yes. On Eclipse Juno the icon can not be seen.

I got it yesterday somehow to work. I had two Altirra versions and tried to switch them. I hoped that the issue is maybe connected to a Beta version of Altirra which I use for Multijoy8 programming.

Then suddenly i had a atdbg file which also is updated when I set breakpoints.

With a new Workspace I can reproduce that problem very easily. However I don't know what steps are required to make it actually work :(

Do you have some debug level logger for your plugin? I could send you that output if you like?

btw: WUDSN is brilliant. Programming 6502 in Eclipse is just fantastic. I think it's a lot more fun than the usual JEE / Java stuff we all know from work :)

Edited by twh/f2

I know I have fixed a bug with the coolbar icon some months ago. It's fixed in the DEV version and not released yet. It only happens in recent Eclipse versions and it causes severe trouble because the new versions bailed out when they found a not 100% correct manifest entry for the coolbar. In fact it is a bug in Eclipse that is reacts like that and they said they'll fix it. Probably this is the very same thing.

The log might help, it's the standard Eclipse log "<workspace>\.metadata\.log".

• 4 months later...

2013-09-17 WUDSN IDE update 1.6.4 released

I've' had a good time at this year's Fujiama Party again and had the possibility to present WUDSN IDE to a lot of people. All of them are now happy "customers" with an environment where they can play around with assembler so easily. When I installed the previous version of the IDE, I found a bug in recent versions of Eclipse which is due to an incompatible change "plugin.xml" file handling. The bug causes the toolbar button to be invisible and locks up the "Customize Perspective" dialog. Therefore I decided to release a new version which contains all the fixes and round offs I have implemented in the past 12 months.

• Auto completion for ".PROC" now adds "RTS" before ".ENDP" in MADS
  • Auto completion for ".LOCAL" now adds ".ENDL" in MADS
  • Clicking on the link to a non existent file now asks for creating the file. This simplifies creation of includes during refactoring.

ide-hyperlink-navigation-unknown-file.pn

Assemblers
  • Error message assignment to include files now normalizes the file separator before comparison, making it more robust in case of compiler bugs (e.g. MADS 1.9.4)
EmulatorsInstallation
  • Screen shots and descriptions updated to reflect the lasted version
FAQ
  • How do I compile into ROM images? added
  • How do I compile into disk images? added
  • How to run a makefile script instead of an emulator? updated
Site
  • Section "Further information on assembler programming" added to the installation section of the IDE. The new section contains links to readily formatted source code includes and examples.
Fixes
  • The toolbar icons now work correctly with newer Eclipse versions
  • Atari 8-bit Graphics 12 Converter works again
  • Graphics editor now properly closes input stream for image files
  • Empty selection and too large number no longer lead to exceptions when opening the context menu for "Convert..."
  • Pressing refresh in the graphics converter now always updates the image pane correctly and not only if the size has changed
  • Inline repeats like ":64" in MADS are no longer detected as labels
  • Hex Editor now correctly detects erroneous COM files in case the segment length exceeds the file length (by one)
  • Disk images (for Apple II) are now updated also if only "Compile" instead of "Compile and Run" is used
  • Apple Commander integration is now part of the installation, as it should have been with 1.6.3
  • The HELLO program generated for the auto-start disk images of Apple II now displays a title and uses "BLOAD/CALL" instead of "BRUN" because of this bug in Apple DOS10 PRINT "Loading <title>" : PRINT CHR$(4);"BRUN WORLD" : CALL <address>
Edited by JAC!
  • Like 4

>Do you recommend some specific Eclipse runtime binary with this update?

No, this one is (should be :-) still downward compatible to 3.6.2 actually.

With the next update I'll leap to the most recent stable version of Eclipse as required version and once again to catch up with the changes that occurred since 2011.

• 2 months later...

2013-12-18 New zero installation distribution of WUDSN IDE

One of the reasons why I created WUDSN IDE is to make it easy for people to (re)start working with 6502 assembly for their beloved Atari, C64 or other machine. As you could already see in the Tutorial part 1, the installation from scratch is easy and fast.

To make your initial steps even easier, I now provide also a ready to run zero installation distribution wudsn-ide-win64.zip for Windows 64 bit operating systems. It contains the Eclipse Platform, the latest stable version of WUDSN IDE plugin, all supported compilers and an emulator for each supported platform. All paths to folders, compilers and emulators are pre-configured. Unpack the content of this archive to the directory "C:\jac\wudsn" and click the "WUDSN IDE" link - That's all. Eclipse will open with the predefined workspace that contains "Hello World" examples for different platforms. You can adapt, compile and run the examples with a single click.

post-17404-0-54299300-1387409966_thumb.png

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 5