JAC!

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

Hello WUDSN users,

here's short hello to tell you what's going on. After some Atari hiatus, I spent 4 days at the Fujiama 2021 at had the possibility to analyze the typical installation and usage issue of WUDSN IDE on Mac OS X. The (not yet finished) result is an installation script, that will enable a "one click" installation on Mac OS. I has already been tested once successfully. The same will later be back-ported to Windows and Linux. This will minimize the download sizes. Also it will be possible to install the IDE in arbitrary folders (instead of the fixed C:\jac\wudsn). This will also help me with testing installations.

On the feature side, I  have started the next major refactoring. I had postponed this for many years, but the recent developments of tebe regarding Mad Pascal encouraged me do start now. The first iteration of WUDSN was ATASM and Atari only. The second was multiple assemblers and Atari. The third iteration was multiple assemblers on multiple targets (C64, Atari, NES, ...). And now the fourth will enable support for multiple languages, esp, Mad Pascal. This will ultimately also solve the "Assembler" vs. "Compiler" terminology issue, which always bothered me (being a notric pedant with wording).

It's a huge project and changes of breaking things on the way  are high, so I'll see how I can setup a seperate download for those who want to help testing.

Downloads.thumb.png.7d6c03b50f63c3b64d58a1ef3d14c21b.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

All not yet functional, but most of the refactoring is done. Now also the help system supports multiple languages and PASCAL is now a valid target. Next I'lll teach it of use online sites are resource, because the MadPascal docu on the home page is really good and als has a search function. Nowdays being online is the default -  that's different than it was when I started in 11 years (ehm, really?, yes...) ago. Also I have switched to a dark theme now for my own development, because on a large monitor "all the white space" it just too bright. I'll also see how I can make the dark theme work in WUDSN itself.

Help.thumb.png.2c1b8199b1730565eb77d8cabb1c40a1.pngDark.thumb.png.80741761b7b897503ff741530f04231d.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 10:09 PM, JAC! said:

Also I have switched to a dark theme now for my own development, because on a large monitor "all the white space" it just too bright. I'll also see how I can make the dark theme work in WUDSN itself.

That would be most welcome indeed. I tried lightweight, native dark themes before with WUDSN but because the UI controls are generally not re-coloured under Windows, it looked like Hell, and some of the WUSDN icons have opaque white backgrounds anyway. Things are a little better on macOS and Linux, but one of my main motivations for attempting to develop a fully parsing MADS extension for VSCode was to get WUDSN-like features with a dark UI. :)

• Like 2

Maybe some Mac experts read this:

I've adapted my build process, to always pull the latest MADS sources from github.
But when I try to compile under macOS 11.6 with latests XCode and latest FPC 3.2.0 the command

cd MADS

git pull --depth=1 --rebase

#echo Creating MADS - $OS Intel 32-bit version

#ppc386 -Mdelphi -v -O3 -XXs -omads.$EXT32 mads.pas

#rm -f mads.o

echo Creating MADS - $OS Intel 64-bit version

ppcx64 -Mdelphi -vh -O3 -omads.$EXT64 mads.pas

rm -f mads.o

fails with

Creating MADS - Mac OS X Intel 64-bit version

Hint: Start of reading config file /etc/fpc.cfg

Hint: End of reading config file /etc/fpc.cfg

Free Pascal Compiler version 3.2.0 [2020/05/31] for x86_64

Copyright (c) 1993-2020 by Florian Klaempfl and others

Target OS: Darwin for x86_64

Compiling mads.pas

mads.pas(1095,5) Note: Local variable "i" is assigned but never used

mads.pas(1174,2) Note: Call to subroutine "procedure Move(const source:<Formal type>;var dest:<Formal type>;count:Int64);" marked as inline is not inlined

mads.pas(3684,29) Hint: Local variable "par" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(4633,28) Warning: Local variable "tmp" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(6222,10) Warning: Local variable "par" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(8255,49) Warning: Local variable "str" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(8856,46) Warning: Local variable "all" does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(9757,26) Hint: Local variable "par" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(13877,8) Note: Call to subroutine "procedure Move(const source:<Formal type>;var dest:<Formal type>;count:Int64);" marked as inline is not inlined

mads.pas(14234,6) Note: Call to subroutine "procedure Move(const source:<Formal type>;var dest:<Formal type>;count:Int64);" marked as inline is not inlined

mads.pas(12732,47) Hint: Local variable "txt" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(10235,27) Hint: Local variable "par" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(12732,51) Hint: Local variable "tmp" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(11683,52) Warning: Local variable "idx" does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(11683,51) Warning: Local variable "idx" does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(12732,53) Hint: Local variable "v" does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(12852,54) Hint: Local variable "r" does not seem to be initialized

mads.pas(13240,29) Hint: Local variable "tmpZM" of a managed type does not seem to be initialized

Assembling (pipe) mads.s

Linking mads.macosx-x86-64

ld: library not found for -lc

An error occurred while linking

Error: Error while linking

Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping

Fatal: Compilation aborted

14 hours ago, JAC! said:

Linking mads.macosx-x86-64

I think you need to find out what library it can't find, it should be in the Makefile or build script

15 hours ago, JAC! said:

Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping

Fatal: Compilation aborted

Looks to me like the linker is looking for "libc", as indicated by the switch "-lc".  

It is customary for *nix linkers to automatically drop the "lib" prefix when looking for libraries, so the "-l" switch is followed by "c", and prepending the "lib" prefix back gives you "libc".

Modern macOS versions do not ship with the command line compiler tools, but you can download and install them if you want.  Check out this URL:

https://osxdaily.com/2014/02/12/install-command-line-tools-mac-os-x/  

I have XCode installed, which contains the command line tools. Also from the 

"From Mac OS X 10.9 onward, if Xcode is already installed in Mac OS X then Command Line Tools becomes installed as well"

It is only this specific lib (libc) which is no longer found since the last update...

18 hours ago, JAC! said:

I have XCode installed, which contains the command line tools. Also from the 

"From Mac OS X 10.9 onward, if Xcode is already installed in Mac OS X then Command Line Tools becomes installed as well"

It is only this specific lib (libc) which is no longer found since the last update...

Try using the environment variable:

LIBRARY_SEARCH_PATHS=/usr/lib

or possibly:

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib

after first confirming that /usr/lib/libc.dylib exists.

Edited by mellis