IGNORED

where can I find a print wheel for 1027

NML32

try http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/text.htm, it may not be listed, but send Brad an email

It was a good try but nada.

Here is Best's reply.

Had to scrap all of the New Atari 1027 Heads we got out of the Atari Parts warehouse when we cleared them out Mark. We found that all of the New 1027 rubber Head Letter bands all started to fall apart and parts/letters starting to fall off.

Regards,

Bradley Koda

Thanks,

Mark

I doubt you'll find a new character wheel set that isn't already crumbling. Whatever they were made of has obviously reached the end of its stable lifespan. I ordered one from Best a year or so ago and it was a pain to install. Hours later, when I finally got it back together I printed a line of text and the characters literally smashed and crumbled after just a few lines. :x It's a shame, too, because I think the 1027s are the best looking printer ever made.

Yeah, Brad is right...

I received a brand new in the box 1027 that still had the security sticker on it, never been used... I knew about the head problems so I ran my finger over the letters lightly to check and they just fell apart into rubber dust...

Yeah, Brad is right...

I received a brand new in the box 1027 that still had the security sticker on it, never been used... I knew about the head problems so I ran my finger over the letters lightly to check and they just fell apart into rubber dust...

We need someone like Merlin to do a chemical analysis of the rubber used for the character wheels and devise a solution to soak them in to revitalize them.

Yeah, Brad is right...

We need someone like Merlin to do a chemical analysis of the rubber used for the character wheels and devise a solution to soak them in to revitalize them.

I don't know if this would work, but for printer maintenance (usually of the laser variety), there is rubber roller rejeuvenator. It's a strong-smelling chemical that restores rubber grip and elasticity. I don't know if it would actually save print wheels or not, and don't have any 1027 stuff to test with....

This is where I got my can for work. There are probably cheaper places too.

Yeah, Brad is right...

I don't know if this would work, but for printer maintenance (usually of the laser variety), there is rubber roller rejeuvenator. It's a strong-smelling chemical that restores rubber grip and elasticity. I don't know if it would actually save print wheels or not, and don't have any 1027 stuff to test with....

This is where I got my can for work. There are probably cheaper places too.

I doubt it, at this point they are basically dust waiting for the first thing to make them crumble

even if you did soak them in something the print quality would have to suffer

I don't know if this would work, but for printer maintenance (usually of the laser variety), there is rubber roller rejeuvenator.

That stuff would dissolve and turn to cream cheese whatever might be left of the print wheel.

But could you put it on a bagel :D

• 1 month later...

So, I'm guessing that plan to make reproductions of the print wheel failed? How do you even replace the thing, anyway?

You know what would have been better than making it just a plastic barrel with letters made of ink on it? A barrel with hard plastic/metal letters that you could easily remove and roll on an ink pad or something, or apply ink while it's in the printer.

What was the setup of the roller? Like, how were the letters/numbers arranged?

Edited by Tupin

Get an Okidata Microline 182,184, or 186 printer.. This is a relatively small dot matrix printer. You can pick them up on ebay dirt cheap, and if you have a shipping account with Fedex, they will supply you with free ribbons (you can order up to 5 at a time from them for free, shipped to your doorstep.)

Then take your 1027 apart and throw away the guts.. take the outer panels of the 1027, make suitable modifications, and glue them on the okidata so it looks "XLish"... Add some paint wherever necessary...

You'll also need a standard paralell printer interface for the atari.. Atari 850, P:R: Connection, Xetec Graphics AT, Ape-Face, etc... Or if you have an MIO or Black Box, those have it built in as well..

This way, you'll have a damn reliable printer, and never have to worry about rediculous "robotic rubber stamp" style print heads ever again.. Problem solved..

Edited by MEtalGuy66