IGNORED

The Cloak & Dagger Challenge

Allan

I've got to be honest, I'd probably buy 10 of this game if it were ever finished (and fill my water gun with ink and put a softball in my backpack with my full name written on it, and I'm about to be 34) - but I wonder if I should start to let myself down easy. This has been in development for a really long time and it's obvious Dave simply doesn't have the time to work on it at all. What do you guys think, begin to break it to myself?

I think it best to be delighted and surprised if it comes to pass but not to worry about it otherwise. After all, look at what Curt did digging out the fabrication blueprints of the custom 8-bit Atari chips. That was thoroughly delightful and I never saw it coming.

Have you ever wanted something too much? I mean, as a child I wanted to be and in many ways was Davey Osborne. I looked through Atari catalogs and had my parents on the hunt for a Cloak & Dagger "tape" during Christmas of 1984. I even made my own C&D game by taping paper down over another game and drawing the best art I could with my 9 year old hand. I realize this game can be emulated and played on my computer but there is something really cool about holding the 5200 C&D cart in my hand and being able to put that in my 5200.

Edited by TheNixer
  • Like 1

A couple of things I may have wanted "too much" were:

1.) Optimus Prime - I was absolutely obsessed with Transformers.

2.) Atari 2600 - I had never heard of a video game until my cousins got one, (probably around '84), but after that, all I would talk about were Transformers and Atari. My parents finally got one the year the "Jr" model came out.

3.) Kung-Fu Master (2600 version) - I used to fantasize and dream about this game... literally. I would drool over the pictures on the back of the box every time we'd go to a department store that stocked games. I finally got it for Christmas one year. The only thing that disappointed me about the game was that you couldn't jump-kick. Actually, there were several games I was obsessed about getting. Mario Bros, Crossbow, & Rampage just to name a few. I think Kung-Fu Master was the one I wanted most and had to wait the longest for.

I'd never even heard of "Cloak & Dagger" until I saw this thread. I'll have to rent the movie. It will be great to see the original programmer finish and release it after all these years.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow....have taken an extended hiatus from AtariAge. Was browsing through this thread and see that I had posted to it....2 years ago! Yes, my daughter, whom I spoke of in that post (and how she liked it when Daddy played Pac-Man) is now 4 1/2.

So has anything actually happened with this game in the last 2 years? I'd love to hold out hope that it's still being worked on, but I think at this point that's too much to hope for (?).

Ok guys, if this is against the rules please delete the post. I work for a screen printing company and created something I've wanted for a long time - a Cloak & Dagger t-shirt. I printed 10 of them (the minimum I could print). I'd send one to Dave Comstock for sure just to let him know we're eagerly awaiting. If anyone else wants one let me know. I'll keep a few for myself obviously but do have a few (10). What do you guys think - it's just the Cloak & Dagger logo. Not the best photo, taken with my iPhone.

post-12698-126263915491_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's really awesome. Wish I had the programming skills. On a C&D movie note. Watching Tales of the Gold Monkey yesterday and noticed a younger and much thinner William Forsythe as a German officer in the pilot episode.

I re-watched the film about a month ago on NetFlix streaming and it was funny to recognize William Forsythe appearing like a proto-Harry Knowles in the film, especially considering how he usually plays "heavies" in crime/action/horror films since then.

8 year old thread! 8 year old thread!

and how about the dad from 7th heaven. lol. I was just watching the tales pilot myself a few weeks ago. what are the odds. i love jake.

What is even funnier is the fact that the actor appeared in Star Trek - The Motion Picture and the actress that portrays his wife appeared in Star Trek IV.

55% maybe? He's rewriting the existing code a lot, so he hasn't been making much progress on finishing what was still left unfinished back in 84.

Tempest

This is going to be the Chinese Democracy of Atari titles. And I don't mean that as a slam either because I like the album quite a bit but Axl chucked the album something like 3 times and started over again each time before finally finalizing it and releasing it.

Of course, this will still be released before Duke Nukem Forever is.

Edited by Lynxpro

• 3 months later...

Have you ever wanted something too much? I mean, as a child I wanted to be and in many ways was Davey Osborne. I looked through Atari catalogs and had my parents on the hunt for a Cloak & Dagger "tape" during Christmas of 1984. I even made my own C&D game by taping paper down over another game and drawing the best art I could with my 9 year old hand. I realize this game can be emulated and played on my computer but there is something really cool about holding the 5200 C&D cart in my hand and being able to put that in my 5200.

You really should post a picture of your 9 year old drawing hand label art !

• 10 years later...

Wow old thread but lets see if i can bring some life to it. I know this does not belong here but i do not know where to post/share it so i will do it here:

This is my cloak & dagger collection. Still looking for the water gun and i need to make his softball "grenade". I also need to paint the mini figure.

I also made a cloak & dagger Atari box art. I have it in jpeg, png, bmp. 

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

CADfinalOGjp.jpg

• Like 2