IGNORED

Strip-Off for Atari 2600 - New Free Game Roms Here

Neuronic

I have just created 2 new 2600 homebrew games that you can download and play for free. The first one is a simple game I wrote to learn the ins and outs of bb programming called KeepAway. But I am most proud of my second game called Strip-Off (no it's not an adults only game) my original intent was to make a game similar to an old vector arcade game called Rip-Off but it quickly took on a life of its own and is now an original game. You can download them from my website:

KeepAway: http://www.tacticalneuronics.com/content/AtariKeepAway.asp

K.C.'s Crazy Nightmare: http://www.tacticalneuronics.com/content/K...zyNightmare.asp

Strip-Off: http://www.tacticalneuronics.com/content/AtariStripOff.asp

stripoff2.jpg

Note that the Strip-Off and K.C.'s Crazy Nightmare pages have a play it online option!

I would love feedback as I intend to write more as I come up with more ideas.

As long as I get credit feel free to redistribute these bin files.

Enjoy!

Edited by Neuronic
  • Like 1

Uh... yes. Don't quite know how to play "Keep away" (but maybe the instructions are on the homepage, didn't look now). "Strip off", however, reminds me a bit of "Cosmic Guerilla", only that it's greatly simplified. It's a bit like what I'd expected if Coleco would have ported "Cosmic Guerilla" to the Atari 2600. There indeed have been many game elements of this stripped off. :-)

Actually, there has been a PC spin-off called "Cosmic Do!" which adds even more game elements, and which I like very much. And there once was a thread going on here back in 2005 about porting "Cosmic Guerilla" to the 2600... but the game never was completed. Anyway, it's here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75559

The mock-ups on this don't look bad, but they are a bit... monochrome. But the original wasn't very colorful either.

Wow! I just found that game on MAME. I never played it before but I can see what you mean. I was going to add missiles from the alien but decided I liked the basic Rip-Off type game play element where the game ends when you run out of things for the alien to take. I felt that adding aliens shooting and bunkers would have made it too much of a space invaders clone. I did start to add more details but I ran out of room. For example I actually coded 5 shield levels (you advance through them every 900 points) but it wouldn't compile under 4k, so I deleted 2 and kept my favorite 3 in the game. I'd be curious if anyone is scoring high enough to see the 3 configurations? In my testing I only managed to do it once playing by the 900 rule and I cycled back into the first config before finally loosing. :)

Note: The game play details are on the pages on my site here Strip-Off - KeepAway

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just played Strip-Off in Stella and this is a really good game.

Why did you go with a Rip-Off inspired game vs. a port of the actual game itself, since no one has ported that to the 2600 yet?

I think the aliens look great. I wouldn't change a thing with them.

Would you consider the following cosmetic changes:

•  
  • Change the color of cannon to green
  • Reduce the height of the fuel cells 50%
  • Change the color of the fuel cells - maybe a shade of blue?
  • Is it possible to change the grey "canyon" to a thin red line that was used in e.g. Stargate?

Someone mentioned having the aliens shoot at you. What about a different alien character that arrives at random intervals that dive bombs ala Galaxian? Hell, you could put wings on him too...that would be somethin'...you may have to slow down the "pirates" after introducing this new dimension to balance the difficulty.

Edited by rmaerz

I just played Strip-Off in Stella and this is a really good game.

Why did you go with a Rip-Off inspired game vs. a port of the actual game itself, since no one has ported that to the 2600 yet?

I think the aliens look great. I wouldn't change a thing with them.

Would you consider the following cosmetic changes:

•  
  • Change the color of cannon to green
  • Reduce the height of the fuel cells 50%
  • Change the color of the fuel cells - maybe a shade of blue?
  • Is it possible to change the grey "canyon" to a thin red line that was used in e.g. Stargate?

Someone mentioned having the aliens shoot at you. What about a different alien character that arrives at random intervals that dive bombs ala Galaxian? Hell, you could put wings on him too...that would be somethin'...you may have to slow down the "pirates" after introducing this new dimension to balance the difficulty.

Great suggestions! Unfortunately, the StripOff carts have already been produced. I will hang on to these because I'd like to consider a sequel using the same concept.

My plan was to do a true port of RipOff and I started with the fuel cells and created a basic alien to test the code that allowed them to pick up the cell and run off with it, The test was only a direct horizontal line drive directly to the cell and then the object being carried off by the alien. That went well, so I tried making more than one horizontal row and made the alien move in a patten that would test each row. At that point I wanted to test the alien dropping the fuel cell when he was shot, at this point the game ended up being so fun that I decided to stop there and just add more levels (the level changes after every 30 alien kills) and I used the remaining room on the 4K rom for the level data. I learned enough about crunching code with Shield Shifter that I know now I can fit in more things so I will most likely do a 'Super StripOff' or even a real RipOff clone at some point as well. :)

Damn - it always seems like I am late for the suggestion party...

Anyway - you said the carts are already produced? Did you already take pre-orders and when do you plan on shipping these out?

You might want to check with the folks at GoodDealGames, they are the ones who have produced the Cart's. Their web page says that they will premiere StripOff at the VGEXPO on October 10th. They are already produced, They sent me a copy and it looks great! StripOff required no revisions and worked on the first prototype cart. Shield Shifter on the other hand needed some revisions due to video sync timing that caused screen roll on the early prototype. That was a challenge to fix since I didn't have real hardware to test my changes on but after a few tweaks I did eliminate it for the final version which they released last weekend at Gamecore.

• 12 years later...