IGNORED

7800 Expansion Module

Curt Vendel

Uh, I already asked for an extra controller port and that was for the savekey and adding more at this point is a bit too much. I'm not sure if there's room for more ports.

If want you extra controller ports, I think it's just better to use a Genesis multitap and have a few games that are programmed to use it.

Still, a expansion module for the 2600 does sound like a great idea.

Poor Curt. He works himself to the point of exhaustion and still can't please everybody. 4 players sure would be fun but I'm REALLY excited for a 7800 expansion even without 4-players.

Me too! Looking forward to the magic that the Jedi Council makes to support it.

If want you extra controller ports, I think it's just better to use a Genesis multitap and have a few games that are programmed to use it.

I found a tech document on the Sega Multitap, and it doesn't look like it would be possible for a 7800 program to interact with it. It needs a working SELECT line, and that pin in the 7800 is tied to +5v.

Maybe the EA one is different, I didn't find info on it.

I found a tech document on the Sega Multitap, and it doesn't look like it would be possible for a 7800 program to interact with it. It needs a working SELECT line, and that pin in the 7800 is tied to +5v.

Maybe the EA one is different, I didn't find info on it.

Jaguar Team tap anyone? Two ports are plenty. get over it it peoples.

4 players sure would be fun but I'm REALLY excited for a 7800 expansion even without 4-players.

So am I, but I think that having more than two controller ports is not as unimportant as many seem to think it is. More ports would make peripherals such as AtariVox and SaveKey more convenient to use, of course, but I also think that there is an unrecognized need for homebrew games that support more than two players. Why has Warlords (mainly the 2600 version or the excellent Castle Crisis on the Atari 800) been called the "ultimate party game"? Because it supports four-player simultaneous play. If you you really want to show off your classic gaming collection, and if you have a large family or a lot of visitors, ideally you would show it off with a game that would let as many people play together as possible. It isn't nearly as much fun to have only one or two people playing while the rest stand around and watch. I think there's some potential for experimentation in this area, but for now, there aren't very many four-player options on the 7800 outside of 2600 Warlords.

Having said all that, I don't think it's necessary to add any extra controller ports to the Expansion Module. I think a new "Team Tap Adapter" for the 7800--something along the lines of the MultiJoy8 interface for the XL/XE computers--would be a better idea. I've toyed with a few ideas for such an interface (I have an idea for an eight-player 7800 game), only it would be more sophisticated than the MultiJoy8 because it would support both of the ProLine action buttons.

MARIA enhancements?

Sorry! That sounded more sophisticated than it actually is :lol:. Basically the expansion module hardware manipulates MARIA's address and data buses to implement some nice features for games that would otherwise take up lots of CPU software cycles.

MARIA enhancements?

Sorry! That sounded more sophisticated than it actually is :lol:. Basically the expansion module hardware manipulates MARIA's address and data buses to implement some nice features for games that would otherwise take up lots of CPU software cycles.

Ahh - ok. Kind of like the NES mappers would do?

Am I the only one here who finds the whole "you have to wait until CGE" (which maybe 2% of us can actually attend), to find out what games we're working on for the expansion module!!" to be tedious and annoying?

Were all adults here. And there's what, maybe 100 of us altogether who are into this system? Enough with the secrecy. Just tell us what's on tap. I stopped getting excited about "surprises" when I was about 9 years old. There's no reason to hide anything. It's not like the media is going to print the story and some rival homebrewer is going to beat you to the market.

• Like 1

Enough with the secrecy. Just tell us what's on tap.

Nope! My lips are sealed! You'll have to wait. I might not even show some advance screenshots now so I can build up the suspense even more :lol:.

I stopped getting excited about "surprises" when I was about 9 years old. There's no reason to hide anything. It's not like the media is going to print the story and some rival homebrewer is going to beat you to the market.

:lolblue: Its good to keep the rumour mill going. Speaking for myself I have no intention of stealing Curt or Albert's thunder when the expansion module is unveiled at CGE. Just because we are homebrewers doesn't mean that we have to spill the beans all the time. I think that its good to have surprises for systems that have long been forgotten by their manufacturer but not their fans. Put it this way, I get far more fun out of coding for 25+ year hardware than I do playing modern games. Besides the hobby is supposed to be fun. From a developers point of view teasing the fans in a nice way and building suspense is all part of that.

• Like 3