IGNORED

Future Projects for the OpcodeGames Team

I have some future ideas for game programming the OpcodeGames team could do for us ColecoVision fans:

MY WANT LIST:

*Tron / Discs of Tron (Bally/Midway, under license from Disney, 1982)

**Note that the levels in Discs were intended to be part of the first Tron game, but time ran out before Tron with Discs could be completed.

*Scramble (Konami, 1981)

*Jungler (Konami, 1981)

*Loco-Motion (Konami, 1982)

*Circus Charlie (Konami, 1984)

*Track & Field (Konami, 1983)

*Hyper Sports (Konami, 1984)

*Pooyan (Konami, 1982)

*Donkey Kong 3 (Nintendo, 1983)

*Mario Bros. (Nintendo, 1983)

*Pole Position (Atari, under license from Namco, 1982) (to be used with Driving Module)

*Pole Position II (Atari, under license from Namco, 1983) (to be used with Driving Module)

*Food Fight (Atari, 1982)

*Crystal Castles (Atari, 1983) (to be used with Roller Controller)

~Ben

I have some future ideas for game programming the OpcodeGames team could do for us ColecoVision fans:

MY WANT LIST:

**Note that the levels in Discs were intended to be part of the first Tron game, but time ran out before Tron with Discs could be completed.

*Scramble (Konami, 1981)

*Jungler (Konami, 1981)

*Pooyan (Konami, 1982)

*Pole Position (Atari, under license from Namco, 1982) (to be used with Driving Module)

*Pole Position II (Atari, under license from Namco, 1983) (to be used with Driving Module)

~Ben

Pooyan, and Mario Bros. are being planned or worked on by CollectorVision. CollectorVision does homebrew arcade ports for the Colecovision.

Mario Bros. is supposed to be release sometime this month according to http://www.colecovision.dk/coll-mario.htm .

Pooyan is supposed to release in Summer of 2009. This is according to http://www.colecovision.dk/coll-pooyan.htm .

Edited by 8th lutz

MY WANT LIST:

*Scramble (Konami, 1981)

*Jungler (Konami, 1981)

*Pooyan (Konami, 1982)

~Ben

There are some things I need to mention here:

1) Eduardo is a big Tron fan, so I know it will be a great regret for him if he never gets around to making some kind of Tron game on the ColecoVision.

2) Pooyan and Mario Bros are already being produced by CollectorVision.

3) Last year, I paid Eduardo in advance to port the MSX version of Track & Field to the ColecoVision, so that I could use it as a pack-in game for the lot of 50 Atari 2600 Track & Field controllers that I have here. Eduardo later backed out of that deal, and the money I had given to him went into paying for the Pac-Man Collection boxes and paperwork. I have no idea if Track & Field will ever get ported, but I'm still stuck with those T&F controllers, and I hope to find a solution to this problem sooner or later.

MY WANT LIST:

*Scramble (Konami, 1981)

*Jungler (Konami, 1981)

*Pooyan (Konami, 1982)

~Ben

As Pixelboy said, I am a big fan of TRON (cannot wait for the new movie), so a game based on that is something I want to do in the future, be it an arcade port or original.

I am also a fan of Nintendo games, DK 3 is another game in my wish list. I find it interesting the way that Miyamoto was always trying to do something different with each DK game, and DK3 is cool IMHO because it has elements of Galaga mixed with platforming.

Of all the Konami stuff I would be mainly interested in Scramble, because it would be the perfect horizontal shooting game for the CV, and fine scrolling would be quite possible. T&F and Pooyan are other two favorites of mine.

Finally I have always been a fan of Namco. I believe they had the best games from the 81~83 period. Pole Position is still one of my favorite racing games ever, though it would a hard game to port properly to the CV.

Atari I am not especially interested because of the hardware they used with their arcades was usually weird, with linear buffer video, which almost never translates well with the CV video. And besides they used 6502 CPU exclusively, which would be a pain to convert. Another reason is that I actually never played any of the Atari arcades back in the day, because for some reason they were never made available in Brazil. So I don’t have any emotional attachment with those games beyond the Atari 2600 versions…

• Like 1

how about a wrestling game?? :ponder:

Not a bad idea actually, I've already think to port the NES version of Pro Wrestling to colecovision

Like this game and the music too! :cool:

I've never been much of a wrestling fan (in video games or otherwise), but probably the easiest way to get a wrestling game done on the CV would be to port

from the SG-1000 library. With some extra work, the port could be altered to support the CV controller keypad for selecting wrestling moves. Even the box and manual look cool. :)

One game i would like to see ported by opcode from the arcade version (a good msx version already exists, but seeing what opcode is able to do i'm sure he can do lot better).

is : King and Balloon , it is based on Galaxian hardware i think

118124212425.png

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8311

I wonder if it could be possible also to make play digital sounds by the coleco.

Video of MSX version

Video of Arcade Version (listen the digitalised sound "Heeelp" "Heeelllp"..." thaaank youuu".. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4bUw8uDGU...feature=related

Edited by youki

Interesting... the program is a mere 12k, it uses only 1k of RAM (perfect!).

Actually it has another 8k for the sound CPU, probably for all the samples...

And the graphics are perfect for the CV. Not a bad choice...

Digital sound would be possible for the "bye-bye" only, because the others are played during gameplay. I would try my best however to emulate the "help" and "thank you" the best way possible.

Check the mockup I put together in 5 minutes...

Very interesting indeed...

One game i would like to see ported by opcode from the arcade version (a good msx version already exists, but seeing what opcode is able to do i'm sure he can do lot better).

is : King and Balloon , it is based on Galaxian hardware i think

118124212425.png

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8311

I wonder if it could be possible also to make play digital sounds by the coleco.

Video of MSX version

Video of Arcade Version (listen the digitalised sound "Heeelp" "Heeelllp"..." thaaank youuu".. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4bUw8uDGU...feature=related

post-1432-1245427026_thumb.png

118124212425.png

Looks like a fun game.

5-11under

I played the game a lot on the MSX, in the 80s. It's fun, kind of a cross between Galaxian and DK3. Not really Galaga level though, but still fun...

Personnally i prefer that one to galaga and galaxian, just a matter of taste. The fact to have to save the king add something unique to this game. I discover it quite recently, it is very addictive.

Your mockup looks very good.

Don't you guys have a program where you download the MAME ROM and run a program "rom2CV.exe" that automatically p00ps these conversions out?

Man, That would be awesome! ...

But I don't think it would be possible :(

You just have to port mame to CV ! :D

Ok who starts CVMAME ?

Speaking of Tron, it would be interesting to do a "Super Tron Deadly Discs" game that made use of the keypad to throw discs a la the Intellivision version as one control option.

Speaking of future projects, I almost wonder if what "future projects" could be games that would make use of a technical feature of the ColecoVision that other systems would have trouble replicating. In other words, I'd love to see something that really showed off what, if anything, on the ColecoVision was special in comparison to what other systems from the same time could do.

Speaking of Tron, it would be interesting to do a "Super Tron Deadly Discs" game that made use of the keypad to throw discs a la the Intellivision version as one control option.

Speaking of future projects, I almost wonder if what "future projects" could be games that would make use of a technical feature of the ColecoVision that other systems would have trouble replicating. In other words, I'd love to see something that really showed off what, if anything, on the ColecoVision was special in comparison to what other systems from the same time could do.

I and Luc had plans for a TRON action RPG. However that is kind of very long term project...

In comparison to what other systems from the same time could do.... that give flashbacks of the 5200 vs. ColecoVision thread... :)

Ok, seriously, sprites are a strong point, resolution is another and some types of graphics are another. Scroll should be avoided in most cases, as should any kind of game that requires linear frame buffers, like vector games.

The CV is good with fast tile animation, and in some cases it has an advantage over the NES, because the NES is limited to 256 tiles on screen, while the CV offers 768, though each screen "third" is limited to its own 256 tile set.

Here is a MSX game that uses very fast tile animation to produce some 3D visuals...

Scroll is always a problem... but if you can live with tile scroll, then you could play R-Type...

Or some of the Gradius

I have this idea for a sandbox game where you basically play minigames. That would be a nice experiment because I could create many small games that use all sort of unusual fx. And Luc is designing an original Castlevania adventure with some impressive graphics and I have some very nice fx planned for it. The problem is, too many games too little time...

How about Epyx's California Games (1987)? Would it be possible to stuff all six events into a 16K ROM chip? Or would it have to be 24K or 32K of ROM minimum?

Other popular Epyx games released since the demise of the CV:

*Summer Games (1984)

*Summer Games II (1985)

*Winter Games (1985)

*Impossible Mission (1985)

*World Games (1986)

~Ben

You know, King & Ballon just gets old too fast. You play it for like a half hour and it starts to get boring, because it never changes. Besides, the game is kind of easy, and it takes several levels till it starts to get any sort of serious challenging ...

I still prefer Galaga, or DK3, which shares some gameplay elements, like the bees trying to steal the flowers...

How about Epyx's California Games (1987)? Would it be possible to stuff all six events into a 16K ROM chip? Or would it have to be 24K or 32K of ROM minimum?

Other popular Epyx games released since the demise of the CV:

*Summer Games (1984)

*Summer Games II (1985)

*Winter Games (1985)

*Impossible Mission (1985)

*World Games (1986)

~Ben

We had this idea of putting all Konami Hyper Olympics and Hyper Sports games in a single cartridge. That would be more than 20 Olympic events, plus a few more sports, like soccer, boxing, golf and baseball. Pixelboy even bought the Atari Track & Field controllers. I still need to finish that one of these days...

• Like 1

You know, King & Ballon just gets old too fast. You play it for like a half hour and it starts to get boring, because it never changes. Besides, the game is kind of easy, and it takes several levels till it starts to get any sort of serious challenging ...

I still prefer Galaga, or DK3, which shares some gameplay elements, like the bees trying to steal the flowers...

Even if I'm not a fan of Donkey Kong 3 , I would still buy it for ColecoVision :D

This game is very challenging and I think it can look impressive on Colecovision

Anyway, it seems logic that this game should be release for ColecoVision system :cool:

After DK Arcade and Arkanoid, my next project should be one of 3 games: DK 3, Elevator Action or Galaga.

And I hope to be around to some day be able to port Xevious, Pole Position and Moon Patrol, which I consider the 3 most advanced games from the golden years.