IGNORED

Future Projects for the OpcodeGames Team

My favourites for conversion are definitly "Munchman" and "Parsec".

Ofcourse Parsec would have to be without speech. Unless using opcodes' future opgrade module.

If I wouldn't have so many things on my plate right now, I would try to convert Munchman.

That shouldn't be too hard. We do have the TMS9900 assembler source code of Munchman available.

Based on LPC10 and voices in some Commodore 64 games like Impossible Mission and GhostBusters, it can be possible to hear voice by using software only if we can accept the action to stop... for about 1KB per second in ROM, and I don't know really how much RAM... but I guess it can be adapted.

Don't know how much space a sample would take ?

In PARSEC, TI used GROM for storing graphics and speech data.

Here's a nice

of PARSEC in action (including speech).

My favourites for conversion are definitly "Munchman" and "Parsec".

Ofcourse Parsec would have to be without speech. Unless using opcodes' future opgrade module.

If I wouldn't have so many things on my plate right now, I would try to convert Munchman.

That shouldn't be too hard. We do have the TMS9900 assembler source code of Munchman available.

Based on LPC10 and voices in some Commodore 64 games like Impossible Mission and GhostBusters, it can be possible to hear voice by using software only if we can accept the action to stop... for about 1KB per second in ROM, and I don't know really how much RAM... but I guess it can be adapted.

Don't know how much space a sample would take ?

In PARSEC, TI used GROM for storing graphics and speech data.

Here's a nice

of PARSEC in action (including speech).

Alpiner also used GROM, as did Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom.

~Ben

• 2 months later...

OK, I am going to rejuvenate this forum with some additional submissions for the CV:

*Dragon Quest (Enix, 1986; called Dragon Warrior here from 1989 to 2005) -- an MSX2 version exists in Japan

*Final Fantasy (Square, 1987)

*Yie Ar Kung Fu (Konami, 1985) (original arcade version with Oolong as the hero) (sound samples representing messages, such as "Xie xie!" -- Chinese for "thank you!" -- if you get another life, are represented as text)

*Karateka (Broderbund/Jordan Mechner, 1984) (this was the first game Jordan Mechner programmed while still a college undergrad)

*Prince of Persia (Broderbund/Jordan Mechner, 1989) (this was Mechner's other big success; the plot of the game is that your hero, the Prince, has 1 hour to save the Princess before she either marries Jaffar, or dies, after your hour is up)

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

OK, I am going to rejuvenate this forum with some additional submissions for the CV:

*Dragon Quest (Enix, 1986; called Dragon Warrior here from 1989 to 2005) -- an MSX2 version exists in Japan

Both DQ1 and DQ2 were available for the MSX. DQ1 was MSX1 only, while DQ2 was available in versions for both the MSX1 and MSX2

*Final Fantasy (Square, 1987)

MSX2 disk game, uses FM.

*Yie Ar Kung Fu (Konami, 1985) (original arcade version with Oolong as the hero) (sound samples representing messages, such as "Xie xie!" -- Chinese for "thank you!" -- if you get another life, are represented as text)

Big fan of Yie Ar Kung-Fu. :)

• 4 months later...

This is probably a stretch for the ColecoVision, even with the SGM, but since the system is lacking in RPGs, what about Temple of Apshai? We did get the prequel, Gateway to Apshai, after all.

Temple of Apshai actually did make it's way to the ADAM. It was never officially released by Epyx, but around 1987 or 1988 it did finally become available through the many ADAM Users Groups and Mail-Order companies as Public Domain/Freeware.

This is probably a stretch for the ColecoVision, even with the SGM, but since the system is lacking in RPGs, what about Temple of Apshai? We did get the prequel, Gateway to Apshai, after all.

Temple of Apshai actually did make it's way to the ADAM. It was never officially released by Epyx, but around 1987 or 1988 it did finally become available through the many ADAM Users Groups and Mail-Order companies as Public Domain/Freeware.

Here's some posts with screenshots of Temple of Apshai for the ADAM.

Temple of Apshai-ADAM

• Like 1

From what I can gather from the thread you've linked to, the ADAM version was incomplete, buggy, and never released. Besides, not many people own an ADAM.

I still think this is a good idea if it is at all possible.

From what I remember, and this is going back about 23 or more years, a gentleman by the name of Joe Waters (a very talented software developer for the ADAM) of Federation Software (and he used a different name for hacks he worked on) did a lot of work on the initial copy of Temple of Apshai that someone had gotten a hold of (possible from an ex-Epyx employee). Think the main issue was the game actually not being able to boot-up, it was configured for digital data pack only and then something with the player input. I had a half page list of instructions detailing the player input (don't have it anymore) so I would have to check the PDF'ed versions of the NIAD Newsletter to see if I put anything of the How-To instructions in there when we and other mail-order companies for the CV/ADAM made the game available via the Public Domain.