IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. under theremin control!

Heres how it works:

The sound from the theremin is split into its frequency and amplitude components in real time, which are then mapped to values in a linear scale representing the X and Y axis. Pitch becomes horizontal control, and Volume becomes vertical control.

The X and Y scales are then cut up into different zones. In this case, Left; Right and dead zones for the horizontal, and a single trigger and dead zone for the vertical.

The trigger zones are then mapped onto a virtual joystick hooked into an emulator.

The end result is a fairly usable input control for playing games like mario. The bars give the much needed visual feedback as to how "in tune" you are, so you have a better feel of where the trigger points are.

wow! Finally a use for all those expensive theremins I have sitting around! Replacing $2 NES controllers.

It's a fine idea I suppose but a theremin is a bit overkill for a 'touch free' controller. Actually there were a number of less extreme attempts at similar ideas back in the 8-16 bit eras. I wonder if I still have my old activator pad around somewhere.

Edited by Reaperman

Actually, I remember there being some mini pong table looking contraption that worked as a "controllerless controller" and was actually pretty cool, I think a few games were even playable on it, damn, what was that thing called? I seem to remember there being two modes, one where you had the thing flat, and one where it was partially folded or soething.