IGNORED

Starpath Supercharger question.

Tupin

Okay, just wondering, I've heard that only a few versions of the 7800 work with the Supercharger. Now, my 7800 has no expansion port, works with Kool-Aid Man, was made in Taiwan, and has the following on the bottom of the system:

72R4BR A1 83 5213237

The 83 part is stamped on, not printed like the rest of it.

A 7800 of this type is not listed in that 7800 Test Table on here, so I'm not sure about it. Help?

The reason it "don't work" I believe is the cart is to big to fit in the slot, that was my problem, when I took the shell off the console it worked...Though I think the tabs are part of the circuit, and that may stick out to far to fit in some of them too...

The reason it "don't work" I believe is the cart is to big to fit in the slot, that was my problem, when I took the shell off the console it worked...Though I think the tabs are part of the circuit, and that may stick out to far to fit in some of them too...

That may be, but a fitment issue would be obvious. The actual reason it doesn't work is because the Supercharger counts address changes to know when to do a RAM write, and some 7800s have an extra circuit that sets A12=0 for a brief period every cycle to "fix" a programming error in 2600 Dark Chambers. The Supercharger sees this as an address change. The Activision games (Robot Tank, Decathlon) also have issues with this address change (I think it's because their hotspots are in the stack area, which would be erroneously accessed by the "fix.")

That may be, but a fitment issue would be obvious. The actual reason it doesn't work is because the Supercharger counts address changes to know when to do a RAM write, and some 7800s have an extra circuit that sets A12=0 for a brief period every cycle to "fix" a programming error in 2600 Dark Chambers. The Supercharger sees this as an address change. The Activision games (Robot Tank, Decathlon) also have issues with this address change (I think it's because their hotspots are in the stack area, which would be erroneously accessed by the "fix.")

Actually, the Supercharger is affected by both issues. The electronic one and the physical one.

Mitch

I think it's just the shell, and you can sand it down.

Activision carts just barely fit, so I think I need to expand the port anyway.

All you have to do is cut the sleeve around the port. It can be donw without even opening the console. If you want to go deeper, you can open the console, cut the sleeve, and drill out the screw posts on it so that TigerVision games fit also.

Actually, the Supercharger is affected by both issues. The electronic one and the physical one.

Mitch

I wasn't disputing a fitment issue, just that Video claimed it was the only issue. Fitment is the least of the issues and doesn't affect just Robot Tank - it affects many if not all Activision titles.

Is there a list of affected Activision games?

It is the FE games in particular that have electrical issues - Robot Tank, Decathlon and at least some copies of Space Shuttle use FE bankswitching that doesn't work with some 7800s. As far as fitment issues, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...
You can use a computer, CD, or most any portable media player, if you want to.

I'm no sure about Minidisc. I tried it with a Bally Astrocade, and the recording of the analog squelches in Bally Basic doesn't work well. Is it something wrrong with MiniDisc, or Bally Basic. Will I have a similar problem with Supercharger?

My supercharger fits fine in my 7800 and Yes it has a 1gig MP3 player connected to it.

All work just perfect, the best part is that my 7800 is modded with the S-Video and looks superb on my LCD.

Grab you modded NES controllers and have the best of all worlds.

I use audiograbber 1.83 (free) with the latest version of Lame (free) and encode at "New", "VBR", "Highest Quality". It works for my Supercharger and my TI-99/4A cassette games flawlessly. I just plug in the audio cable to my MP3 player on my keychain and I'm gaming in seconds. :)

Edited by tremoloman2006

• 2 weeks later...
My supercharger fits fine in my 7800 and Yes it has a 1gig MP3 player connected to it.

All work just perfect, the best part is that my 7800 is modded with the S-Video and looks superb on my LCD.

You're a lucky man! I really want a Supercharger. But they always go for more money then I have at the time. And I still need to mod a NES controller to work on my Atari 7800. I think that would be even better then the Euro 7800 controllers due to not having so much space between the buttons. And that would be way awesome to have S-video!

You're a lucky man! I really want a Supercharger. But they always go for more money then I have at the time. And I still need to mod a NES controller to work on my Atari 7800. I think that would be even better then the Euro 7800 controllers due to not having so much space between the buttons. And that would be way awesome to have S-video!

Lucky now!...but over 10 years of pulling out hair has mad me very Evil and bald. :evil:

Lucky now!...but over 10 years of pulling out hair has mad me very Evil and bald. :evil:

HAHA yeah I know what you mean. I have only been looking for one for a short amount of time(like a year)but in that time the only place that I can ever find any is eBay and it has been very frustrating trying to get one.