IGNORED

8bitdomain - money down the drain!

jetset

Thanks for the info on the joint shutting down. I put in my claim. I mean, after 3 months the guy couldn't once say "Hey, I'll refund your money. I won't be able to ship."

I'll gladly take my money to Longhorn. Anyone have any bad experience with them?

Aren't most of 8bit domains mods and hacks easily replicable by knowledgable persons here at AA (with the possible exeption of the 5200 to 7800 or was it the other way around..adapter)

No. 8bitdomain made a solderless board that apparently nobody else can do, or rather doesn't have the capital to buy the parts necessary to produce enough for it to be worthwhile. If there were I'm sure I (and others) would have gotten a PM from one of them.

8bitdomain.com is a ripoff. I ordered 2 7800 mods and I never got them. He won't respond to my emails and the phone number on his website is disconnected. Total scam.

Garner,

When did you place your order? I'm still waiting on my April 13 order. I wonder if this is an issue the Postmaster General can handle. The guy obviously doesn't care about his customers.

I emailed him again recently and big surprise, no answer.

I put my order in on April 1st. I see that the website has been updated, so I'm gonna go file a claim and hope I get my 100$ back (but I'm not holding my breath). I might try Longhorn Engineer to get my 2600 modded.

I got a reply from Mike today, and the website has been updated.

8bitdomain has ceased operations as of

July 2009. Any outstanding backorders,

claims, refunds, etc will be resolved.

Send your info to claims@8bitdomain.com

This web site, email accounts, and all

other assets & intellectual property of

8bitdomain have been sold to a third party.

Check back here for any announcements

reguarding the future of any of 8bitdomain's

products.

Reno, was the email address the same?

I just got this response from 8bitdomain. At least I finally got a response...

"We are new to this and are trying to go through this mess as quickly as possible.Please be patient as all your un-resolved issues will be taken care of.Your refund will be issued via Paypal in the next few days. Thanks, Dan Williams"

Double same.

Anyone else here taking their order to Longhorn?

Since the schematic is publicly-known and (I think) the board files, you can take the latter to the batchpcb.com for fabbing. If not, it's an easy enough schematic to design your own using something like gEDA. I did a board design of Longhorn's mod for fun a while ago. Maybe I should dig it out and post it.

You are right at 90 days so it probably is too late for most cards but it is worth a shot.

Just want to clear this up. You have 6 months after you make a purchase to try and chargeback what you paid for. I should know, part of my job is handling these types of things from time to time when I am needed. ;)

I've dealt with them too when I managed in retail, and most CC companies allow up to 6mo. But, if it's a checkcard through your bank, some of those are 3mo.

Checkcards usually give you 0. They say you can charge back illegitimate charges (re: fraud) only. Fraud being charges you didn’t make. Ergo, you get no chargeback protection if you’re unhappy with a purchase you made.

Another one? What's different in this new one versus Longhorn's?

For one, it requires no soldering and so should be easily installed by the layman. It also has an Atarivox mixer circuit so you can just send the stereo outs to your amp without having to have a dedocated speaker for the Atarivox. And then there is the VGA version which is a first.

Edited by mos6507

Just got this reply from 8bitdomain

Hi, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We have found your original order already boxed up but never mailed. Do you want us to ship the 2pcs 7800 mods or issue a refund? Best Regards, Dan Williams

Should I even try to get the boards or get my money back? Do you think the boards will work at all? I've read a few stories on here of the 8BD boards being crap.

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Well, I told them to ship my order. I realize I probably won't get them and if I do they probably won't work. I really wish I would have checked some feedback here before I ordered from them. I guess I'm a sucker for punsihment. Wish me luck.

Yeah I sent yet another email yesterday and got a reply today. Again very similar to yours Garner, saying my order was boxed ready to ship but never was. I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now and hope I'll get my mod soon.

Luck to both of suckers then.

I asked for a refund and the guy sent it pretty quickly. I'm going to stick with Longhorn until I hear what's up with 8 bit and all these boards that never shipped.

The reviews for 8 bit have been pretty bad lately and I didn't want to take a chance after waiting 3 months.

Hope you guys have good luck with your orders.

They just sent me an email saying that my order had been shipped. I checked the tracking number and sure enough, it's in route...I just hope the boards actually work.

Ya, I got an email too with tracking info. And same...I just pray it works. My first 2600 board was bad and I had to send it back. We shall see!

Mine arrived today. It was the wrong one though. He sent me a board for a 4-switch. Mine is a heavy sixer. Un-be-fucking-leiveable.

At least you got something. Maybe you could sell the board for a 4 switch to make up for what you paid for it or you could pick up a 4 switch and use the board. It is better than nothing. Sorry that things didn't work out for you.

Mine arrived today. It was the wrong one though. He sent me a board for a 4-switch. Mine is a heavy sixer. Un-be-fucking-leiveable.

At least you got something. Maybe you could sell the board for a 4 switch to make up for what you paid for it or you could pick up a 4 switch and use the board. It is better than nothing. Sorry that things didn't work out for you.

Ya well I emailed AGAIN, about it. I wouldn't mind picking up a 4-switcher. The worst though is my 6-switcher has three holes in the back for nothing. :|

Well I guess after all is said and done this supposed new owner is a scumbag pos as much as the last guy. Two emails about the fact he sent me the wrong thing and no reply. I also realized he led when he tole me my item was "packed up and ready to be mailed just never was..." the label he used was came from "comecpress", not 8bitdomain.

Hopefully this guy doesn't plan on doing business here or at DP or any other classic gaming sites. I will be sure to spread the word at every opportunity. Either it's the same owner or he's just as shitty a businessman as the last tool.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you guys have good luck with your orders.

I'm not having any luck, mate. My PAL 2600 JR has been there with 8bit Domain for nearly 9 months now. I'd e-mailed the new owner ever since 8Bit Domain Was ceased on 9th July, I'd e-mailed a claim about my console, He'd replied back and said He'd looked into it and ask me to wait a few days. These few days has now been Over a month!

I sure hope he isn't a scamer like the previous owner was. It's been there for 3/4 of a Year now. Totally ridiculous