Yurkie

Cosmic Avenger  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the game?

• Love It!
    • It's Ok
    • I Hate it, worse game ever

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I was wondering now many Cosmic Avenger fans are out there. I am going to attempt to beat the World Record in skill #4. I see from the Twin Galaxies site that Tom Duncan holds the record with 20,990 My initial thought was, what a cake score to beat. I always played skill #1, which I found out is a lot easier than skill #4

One thing that makes getting a high score is that scoring is very low per enemy shot. I played about a dozen games and managed to get 18,310 as my highest score.

Edited by yurkie

I have always liked CV Cosmic Avenger, I think it's as much fun to play now as I did when it was new.

Here's a one page copy of the instruction booklet in .pdf

I was thinking it would be nice to have all the instruction booklets in a 3 ring binder using pages like this. What do you guys think?

I tried something like that a while back but eventually found it too hard to read...

Edited by akator

Cool, go for it!

I've racked up some decent scores using a Sega Genesis controller where button B allows you to shoot and drop a missile simultaneously (use the controller D-pad to select the level, not the colecovision controller).

I don't think that would go over well with Twin Galaxies. ;)

It was the 3rd game i had on my colecovision back in time. i really loved it.

I only had 6 carts for my Colecovision back in the day.. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Omega Race, Cosmic Avenger, Smurf's and Q*bert. Perhaps it makes it easier to play these well now. I have held the Q*bert Skill #3 ( only has 3 skill levels ) record since back in 2001 with 1,252,690 And I have got 148,800 in Donkey Kong Jr. skill #4 , which would be the record.

That Tom Duncan ( Twin Galaxies Referee ) , sure can play the Colecovision! Any of you guy hold records?

That Tom Duncan ( Twin Galaxies Referee ) , sure can play the Colecovision! Any of you guy hold records?

I just got a record last week - #3 on Pepper II skill level 1.

I'm going to go for a record on Mouse Trap skill level 1 tomorrow night. I scored 3.6 million last night.

Before anyone busts my chops for "skill level 1": these are the games I enjoy playing and that's what it's all about, right?

In regard to the early post about Twin Galaxies frowning upon the use of another controller - if you have seen the movie "Chasing Ghosts" you'll remember the scene where Todd Rogers put tape on the TV screen to help him in playing Barnstorming.

It was one of my top favorite arcade games and the reason I wanted a Colecovision.

There was a local bowling alley a few blocks away from where I lived in the early 80's. Maybe 1982 or 83'.

It was the only place where I ever saw a Cosmic Avenger unit. It was one of my favorites and people seemed to play it a lot back then.

Here's my Atariage thread

I just got a record last week - #3 on Pepper II skill level 1.

Congrats!

I'm going to go for a record on Mouse Trap skill level 1 tomorrow night. I scored 3.6 million last night.

Before anyone busts my chops for "skill level 1": these are the games I enjoy playing and that's what it's all about, right?

My thought is that their should just be one record for each game, that being the highest skill level. My reasoning is that on the arcade cabinets, they only except records on one setting.

That said, since they do have records for different skill levels, I say go for it. I suck in mouse trap.

In regard to the early post about Twin Galaxies frowning upon the use of another controller - if you have seen the movie "Chasing Ghosts" you'll remember the scene where Todd Rogers put tape on the TV screen to help him in playing Barnstorming.

Tape on the screen, is a lot different than 1 button preforming 2 seperate functions. I am pretty sure that would be considered a cheat.

I like Cosmic Avenger, and it has some quirks (possibly accidental) that give it an interesting slant on the old Super Cobra theme. For one, the enemy missiles can actually be guided to destroy other enemy craft, which I haven't seen in another game (I think the Video Game critic points this out in his review). The problem with the Coleco version on skill level 3 is that it starts too hard. You get a torrent of missiles and ships to avoid in the first 20 seconds, then it settles down and gets easier for quite a while.

I think there's little between Super Cobra on the Coleco and Cosmic Avenger, but when push comes to shove, the tougher challenge of Cosmic Avenger gives it the edge for me.

I recall playing a tabletop CA at a local steak place that long closed down (The Rustler) back around when coin-ops were teh awesome.

I have never seen a Cosmic Avenger Arcade Machine, much less a cocktail version.

Cosmic Avenger is one of my favorite games for the CV. Earlier this year, I was trying to see if I could get thru all the stages on skill 4. I think the best I did was getting part way thru the first underwater stage.

In CV HSC earlier this year, I came in first place in Buck Rogers skill 1 with a score of 375,293. The Twin Galaxies world record is 395,082 held by Tom Duncan.

Edited by ed1475

Cosmic Avenger is one of my favorite games for the CV. Earlier this year, I was trying to see if I could get thru all the stages on skill 4. I think the best I did was getting part way thru the first underwater stage.

In CV HSC earlier this year, I came in first place in Buck Rogers with a score of 375,293. The Twin Galaxies world record is 395,082 held by Tom Duncan.

Awesome job on the Buck Rodgers score. I would practice and set the record on that if I where you.

[quote name='yurkie'

Tape on the screen, is a lot different than 1 button preforming 2 seperate functions. I am pretty sure that would be considered a cheat.

Which is the cheat - the tape on the screen or the controller?

They would never be able to prove tape on the screen but would the controller be an obvious cheat?

[quote name='yurkie'

They would never be able to prove tape on the screen but would the controller be an obvious cheat?

They don't have to prove anything, they even suspect anything, they will not validate your score. These guys take gaming records seriously. Take a look at their site and read the rules for score submission.

[quote name='yurkie'

They don't have to prove anything, they even suspect anything, they will not validate your score. These guys take gaming records seriously. Take a look at their site and read the rules for score submission.

I scored 4.8 million for a second place record, although I could've crushed the record had I scheduled my day better. Roughly 1 million points an hour and that was 4.5 hours tied up.

Two pain in the butt issues in going for the record - number one is that the VCR I recorded on doesn't have a remote and I am not able to figure out how to record in anything but SP mode. So I had to trap my mouse when it came time to switch tapes.

Secondly, on my first attempt, I somehow hit the "*" on the keypad which restarted the game after recording 1.2 million!

Back on topic, I just received my copy of Cosmic Avenger but I have not played it yet.

I have found it taking much longer completing my collection of arcade ports for the ColecoVision than that of the 5200 which I completed in about a month. The number of ports are almost identical for both consoles but it seems that the 5200 carts are more obtainable and aren't as rich in value.

Did you get the box with it? The arcade machine always had some cool art. :P

Don't get me wrong, I love the 5200 as well. I have two and one of them is modified.

But.....it drops in my addictive\favorite list because back in the day Atari re-released the same old arcade ports for the 5200 that they had on their 2600 and computers.

I mean, by the time the 5200 came out, I was really tired of Galaxian, Centipede, Asteroids, Pac-Man etc. so I naturally wanted Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and all the other arcade games

that were snatched up and done on the CV. Especially Cosmic Avenger and Mr. Do. :D

I had a lot of fun and still do with the CV. I just wish I can keep the original controllers working. :x

Don't get me wrong, I love the 5200 as well. I have two and one of them is modified.

But.....it drops in my addictive\favorite list because back in the day Atari re-released the same old arcade ports for the 5200 that they had on their 2600 and computers.

I mean, by the time the 5200 came out, I was really tired of Galaxian, Centipede, Asteroids, Pac-Man etc. so I naturally wanted Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and all the other arcade games

that were snatched up and done on the CV. Especially Cosmic Avenger and Mr. Do. :D

I had a lot of fun and still do with the CV. I just wish I can keep the original controllers working. :x

exactly! I dont know what the 5200 freaks are talking about when they say the 5200 is better than the coleco. the atari didnt have a great library like the coleco.

exactly! I dont know what the 5200 freaks are talking about when they say the 5200 is better than the coleco. the atari didnt have a great library like the coleco.

There are those that make an issue out of the ColecoVision "second rate" arcade ports like Pepper II and Mouse Trap which happen to be my two favorite and addictive CV games. Someone mentioned that the reason some of these games were under appreciated in the arcade is because of a more sophisticated game play. When playing it in the home, you have time (and no quarters) to spend learning the game.

I find this to be very true. Mouse Trap, for example, is more sophisticated in game play than Pac-Man.

That "second rate" excuse doesn't have merit and its kind of a modern day excuse, its actually quite the reverse.

Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Zaxxon are not second rate titles. I wouldnt say MouseTrap is either. There were tons of maze games after Pac-Man that I would not call second rate.

They came out on the CV and those were arcade games I wanted to play at home in 1983....not another version of Centipede.

Back in those days the 5200 didnt have "strong" arcade ports, it had the same arcade games they did before.

As I mentioned, Pac-Man, Galaxian and some other Atari games by then were considered old and hence they were second rate to what Coleco was releasing. (Even though Venture, Mousetrap etc were not "popular" they are not worse than Pac-Man or "not good").

In my opinion the 5200 was the system that had "second rate" arcade ports because by 1983 and 84' people wanted DK Jr. and Time Pilot, not Millipede!

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly but I was around back then (obviously) and I wanted to play other arcade games other than the same old thing.

Hope it makes sense. I guess Im preaching to the wrong people....

:P

(Again, I like the 5200 a lot. Some games on it are better on it than the CV but I dont agree at all with the second rate garbage)

Edited by cimerians

They came out on the CV and those were arcade games I wanted to play at home in 1983....not another version of Centipede.

Back in those days the 5200 didnt have "strong" arcade ports, it had the same arcade games they did before.

As I mentioned, Pac-Man, Galaxian and some other Atari games by then were considered old and hence they were second rate to what Coleco was releasing. (Even though Venture, Mousetrap etc were not "popular" they are not worse than Pac-Man or "not good").

In my opinion the 5200 was the system that had "second rate" arcade ports because by 1983 and 84' people wanted DK Jr. and Time Pilot, not Millipede!

I believe Atari wanted to release upgrades to 2600 titles on their new 5200 system which was a good idea. Making Breakout (or was it Super Breakout?) the pack-in game wasn't a good idea.

I think you would have to strike a balance between releasing new titles (that have never been before released on the 2600) and upgrading previous releases. Pac-Man on the 5200 was outstanding, Space Invaders and Galaxian were better on the 2600 and new ports like Qix and Pengo were really good. Donkey Kong on the other hand was dreadful. Atari should have gone after other titles like Satan's Hollow which wasn't released on either system at the time.

The thing about the ColecoVision is that almost all the arcade ports were very good to excellent. Carnival is arcade perfect. While Gorf is not arcade perfect, it makes one feel as if they were playing the game on a full-size cabinet at the arcade.