IGNORED

Journey into POKEY

emkay

Back to 16 bit bass...

The test tune uses 2 64 khz channels for a reverb effect. The bass playes deep and has a vibrato in it.

The high percussion sounds are not much variable with their frequency, but different generators can be used.

Don't they somehow sound like digitized FX, do they?

4chtst.zip

I appreciate your commitment, but what there is aim of these experiments? One, meybe cool, but 'strange' instrument, degraded all the rest. Maybe time to make something simple methods, and classical instruments?

My contribution for this topic:

Regards

P.S. POKEY this is not SID, and he has own charm :)

Edited by xlent

I appreciate your commitment, but what there is aim of these experiments? One, meybe cool, but 'strange' instrument, degraded all the rest. Maybe time to make something simple methods, and classical instruments?

My contribution for this topic:

Regards

P.S. POKEY this is not SID, and he has own charm :)

Come on. Most tunes are NOT strange in this thread. Just different and fit rather good to the originals.

What VBI speed is your tune using? Listening to the FX your tune uses 4x speed (or works VBI independend ). The tune sounds overall good. But there is a vibrato out of tune in it. Just switching to gen 2 would resolve this, and that's what the thread is about.

;) Great stuff. Xlent. More ST recreations please!

LOL

Particular the last Test and the Bladerunner is showing "ATARI ST stuff" + one additional channel. We can have the voice of the "ST tune" and the bass as in the "ST tune" without the bass wannabes of gen C or E sounds.

RMT -again- is calculating the 1.79MHz based gen a 16 bit notes wrong, just like gen 2 .... and.... and... and...

A faster playing speed than 50Hz is doing miracles with POKEY sounds, as pointed out several times in the past.

@Xlent: Love this. More please!

@emkay: IMO better sound those "bass wannabes" when you know how to use them (i.e. avoiding badnotes) that

some of your experiment which are "tuned" to single notes. No, sorry.

If they were more valuable than they are - i'm sure that Raster (or some other musical oriented coder) would have dealt with them.

Maybe i'll take sawtooth one (after tuning it up "a bit") but all the rest, i think, may safely go to a trashcan.

Say - is "I know everyting better" way to go? That the probably reason why no one would cooperate with ya.

Schluess...

Wanna freedom of sounds?

Here's savestate from New Age's Music Advanced Channel. It allows you to create ANY sound that is possible on POKEY.

Oh... "Small" disadvantage is that you have to create the sound (envelope and other data) form scratch (almost as in Atari BASIC's DATA).

But it's up to you. Ha, ha, ha! :D

The Mach Editor is here btw.: Klicken bitte

mach_song1.zip

Say - is "I know everyting better" way to go? That the probably reason why no one would cooperate with ya.

Good question. Seeing musicians and tracker writers knowing everything better, makes me wondering sometimes.

Why isn't it possible to make a piece of music simply by using the wanted note.... ?

Why must I use a note shift here, a pitch down there, and to have more than standard pokey beeps, we need to hack RMT several times?

The solutions are simply there and explained a gazillion times. I wrote an Article with the firstly needed step for Pokey sound correction in the ABBUC Magazine. The missing feedback, really does not rely on me....

So you'd better just put those statements into other's bags....

Really interesting... as always

emkay starts a thread about Pokey music and sounds.... Some guys give a feedback whether they like what they hear or not... it's ok.

Everytime, somewhere from the deep of a distant swamp blurbs the same unuseful crap, destroying the sense of the thread in prior, than to exchange knowledge and ideas.

Poor little Atari, seems really to be doomed somehow...

Depending on the used channel clocking and combinations, Pokey could easily outdo the YM chip....

The tune is from a MOD that uses different sample pitches at the same note value.... this time only at 3 channels... as the YM in the ST is 3 channels

Programming is still at single VBI timing.

Bass is quite good and gen 2 at 1.79MHz is still enhancing the "singing" voice...

16tst.zip

Edited by emkay

Depending on the used channel clocking and combinations, Pokey could easily outdo the YM chip....

The tune is from a MOD that uses different sample pitches at the same note value.... this time only at 3 channels... as the YM in the ST is 3 channels

Programming is still at single VBI timing.

Bass is quite good and gen 2 at 1.79MHz is still enhancing the "singing" voice...

This instrument sounds great and plays correctly in official version of RMT :)

Good work !

Meybe try using this bass in one of my songs ;)

Sharpness Buzztone in this movie playing with 2xVBI, final version playing with 3xVBI. I am not trying to make an exact copy sounds of track.

Final result must clearly played & must be like me :)

P.S. You're saying that you are not a musician. Who is writing music on Atari today, is a musician?

P.S. You're saying that you are not a musician. Who is writing music on Atari today, is a musician?

I'm not a musician in the way of just hearing a song and seeing the notes on the ladder ;)

That's why I almost stick to MOD conversions. The "hard" thing is still to find the correct combination of pokey's sounds to enhance the wanted tune.

Actually, the appended tune is a "cant be" as the title submits already. It seems to use 2 different timbres at the same time. What to do to have it on a Pokey by using 4 channels?

A channel at 16 bit for drums

A channel at 1.79MHz for creating "wanted" interfered sounds (FX).

A channel at 64 kHz

A channel at 64 kHz with 1.79MHz arpeggios (simulating a 2 voice sound for the different timbres)

If someone might have a look at the still low CPU usage...

cantbe.zip

This setting seems to work for many 4 channel tunes.

This time an originated tune by Michael Jackson (R.I.P.).

And I want to point out that Rob Hubbard perhaps was a "god" (C64 guys statement) when it comes to SID Music.... but only there... ;)

Seeing me doing those conversions without being a musician, what could a musician with full POKEY knowledge have done back in the 80s?

Remember that the 4channel MODs were built with fully independend voices. So sometimes the harmonics don't work with Pokey as needed.

This tune works imho very good, and it sounds sometimes like using 5 channels ....

It's a crux that we cannot have filter and 16 bit together for playing music.

bad.zip