IGNORED

Turning a light 2600 into a heavy...

RevEng

I recently bought a light sixer, and have some mods planned for it (the usual video+stereo stuff) and was also considering how I could go about adding heft. The added weight on a heavy makes it easier to swap carts, change selection, etc., using one hand. (At least from what I recall)

Anybody have any thoughts? Some kind of casting resin poured in the bottom shell?

Ideally the weight would be be bonded to the case.

And does anybody with a heavy sixer and a scale want to let me know what I'm aiming for?

:) I thought about cement, but at a minimum you'd need some kind of anchors in it. Otherwise if it fell off a table you'd have a brick smashing around the insides of the case. I also think the edges might crumble when the case flexes.

The lead is an idea, but same thing on the anchors. Maybe if I epoxied them down it would work.

:) I thought about cement, but at a minimum you'd need some kind of anchors in it. Otherwise if it fell off a table you'd have a brick smashing around the insides of the case. I also think the edges might crumble when the case flexes.

The lead is an idea, but same thing on the anchors. Maybe if I epoxied them down it would work.

I'd get a nice piece of bar steel about ½"thick and size it appropriately.  You could connect it using strong double sided tape.  When I used to work in precision sheet metal we used doublsided tape to hold shims in place and I was amazed how much weight they held.

BigO: Where's the sport in that? Buying a heavy-sixer is probably in my future, but at heart I'm a tinkerer and I'll enjoy the light->heavy project.

tremoloman2006: A most excellent suggestion! I think I'll do just that. Now to find some bar steel... :)

I've somewhere seen adhesive backed lead sheets. That might be a simple way to add weight.

How much do you think you'll be adding? A piece of 1/8" plate steel might do the job.

I suggested buying a heavy sixer 'cuz I thought maybe I could subliminally suggest you into buying the Sears Heavy Sixer that I'm planning on getting rid of. ;)

I'd be adding enough weight to make it the same as a heavy-six... I only recall mine from youth, so I'm not sure about the exact weight.

:) If I buy a heavy-sixer, it will be an Atari one. I know the Sears is the *exact* same thing, but I want the console of my childhood, irrational though it may seem.

I must be tired. You guys got me thinking and I weighed them up. My heavy (SEARS) weighs 4.6 lbs. and my light 6er is 3.5 lbs. You would need 1.1 lbs of weight.

If you bought large washers in bulk at a hardware store they should be relatively cheap. It would be easy to epoxy the washers wherever convenient inside the console and the holes actually would let the epoxy ooze through for a good grip on the washers.

bah

Sweet! Thanks for the info!

Amazing how much diffence that extra 1.1 pound makes!

Washers is a good idea, and any break-free events are likely to be noticed before they become damaging... Time for a trip to the hardware store.

I assume you realize the difference between the heavy and light sixers is more than just the weight. Just mentioning that 'cuz I didn't see anyone else mention it in this thread.

I don't think the "heavy" is heavy enough to allow comfortable cartridge changes with one hand. With that goal in mind, I'd plan on adding as much extra weight as could practically be fit.

Yeah, I'll be keeping my Atari heavy 6er. Already got rid of one Sears and have one more to go.

I assume you realize the difference between the heavy and light sixers is more than just the weight. Just mentioning that 'cuz I didn't see anyone else mention it in this thread

For sure! I realize the components in a heavy are better quality, and usually the video as a result. I'm hoping to snag a Longhorn AV mod to improve the video. (not a lot of luck getting a hold of him)

Despite the title of this topic, I don't have illusions that whatever I do will *really* turn a heavy into a light. I'd just like to do what I can to make this light the best it can be.

I do think you're right about going heavier. I recall switching carts one-handed was a bit of an art back in the day.

I assume you realize the difference between the heavy and light sixers is more than just the weight. Just mentioning that 'cuz I didn't see anyone else mention it in this thread

For sure! I realize the components in a heavy are better quality, and usually the video as a result. I'm hoping to snag a Longhorn AV mod to improve the video. (not a lot of luck getting a hold of him)

Despite the title of this topic, I don't have illusions that whatever I do will *really* turn a heavy into a light. I'd just like to do what I can to make this light the best it can be.

I do think you're right about going heavier. I recall switching carts one-handed was a bit of an art back in the day.

They also look different.

Minorly, yeah.

Enough that you won't fool anybody but maybe yourself. ;)

But, don't think I'm saying that there's anything wrong with your idea. I've thought about putting a 2600 in a metal chassis myself just to try to make a consistent form factor between several different console types...among other things.

Edited by BigO

You could epoxy some washers or something into the case, it's mostly air so you could put them anywhere.

I always thought about actually putting speakers in the thing, just to hear it as it was originally intended (many shells even still have the speaker grills in them :D )