IGNORED

Defending the Coleco controllers

Spector

You know, I actually like them for what they are. On every other system, I use a standard joypad, even on the ZX Spectrum. With the Coleco, I have resisted the temptation to use a 7800 pad and have stuck with the original controllers. They are obviously harder on the hands, but it's a change from the norm, and when I play Frogger or Pacman, for example, I feel like I'm really playing it. Pacman in particular feels a lot better with the stick than with a joypad or the Atari standard controller. The stick doesn't take diagonals too easily, but I still think it's undervalued overall, and certainly not as bad as what I'm hearing passes for the 5200 controller. And the Intellivision is just a complete disaster.

So does anyone else use the Coleco controller rather than an Atari one, or is just me that plays Galaxian with the old stick?

Oh and another thing - does the Coleco stick work in an Atari 2600?

You know, I actually like them for what they are. On every other system, I use a standard joypad, even on the ZX Spectrum. With the Coleco, I have resisted the temptation to use a 7800 pad and have stuck with the original controllers. They are obviously harder on the hands, but it's a change from the norm, and when I play Frogger or Pacman, for example, I feel like I'm really playing it. Pacman in particular feels a lot better with the stick than with a joypad or the Atari standard controller. The stick doesn't take diagonals too easily, but I still think it's undervalued overall, and certainly not as bad as what I'm hearing passes for the 5200 controller. And the Intellivision is just a complete disaster.

So does anyone else use the Coleco controller rather than an Atari one, or is just me that plays Galaxian with the old stick?

Oh and another thing - does the Coleco stick work in an Atari 2600?

yes, the coleco stick works on the atari. i love the coleco joystick over any other ones. I just wish you were able to play games that you could only use with the SA controllers like frontline.

I'll defend the ColecoVision stock controller stiks.I get my highest scores using the stock CV controllers on games like Pitfall 1&2,Hero,than on other consoles.I like them alot,i just wish they made the stik a tad higher,but a great controller IMO,works for me.

Edited by Rik

I'll defend the ColecoVision stock controller stiks.I get my highest scores using the stock CV controllers on games like Pitfall 1&2,Hero,than on other consoles.I like them alot,i just wish they made the stik a tad higher,but a great controller IMO,works for me.

I am a fan of the original colecovision controllers myself. I don't know why the joystick wasn't like 1/2" taller with a ball end. There was a third party add on ball top that I saw in the colecovision experience magazine. I think that was what's on the controller in this auction. Damn I wanted to win this, but didn't.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

The only game I have a really hard time playing is Frenzy, hand gets super sore quick.

Come to think of it, what if opcodegames made a ball top for the joystick. They have a custom mold for their cartridge case. I would buy a couple sets.

I am a fan of the original colecovision controllers myself. I don't know why the joystick wasn't like 1/2" taller with a ball end. There was a third party add on ball top that I saw in the colecovision experience magazine. I think that was what's on the controller in this auction. Damn I wanted to win this, but didn't.

In 1983 I had "snap on" joystick extensions for my CV controllers. They were grey with a black ball end. I loved them, they really cut down on hand cramping from extended gaming sessions.

There were at least 2 companies that made the extensions, but I don't remember who they were and I don't have them any more. I can't tell much by that eBay photo, but what's shown doesn't look like what I had.

With or without the joystick extensions, I loved the CV controllers. There were better high-end third party controllers available for consoles and computers, but I think the CV controllers were by far the best of all the pack-ins for their day.

I like a lot CV Controller. I think it is because it was my first console and so i got the habit.

The only controller i find better is the Atari C24 (proline) , I love it!. I bought it in 1984 to play decathlon on my coleco (because Decathlon is not good at for standard CV controller...) , and i still have it and use it daily!.

the proline has the same shape than the CV , with button on sides.

it isnt just the controller that is bad on the coleco, something in the hardware or game programming makes the controllers unresponsive. i came to this conclusion when i used a 2600 stick on a coleco and noticed the same lag of controller to screen action times.

In that auction link I posted. In addition to the dust cover and the joystick with the ball add-on there is a 7800 pad. I guess that 7800 pad is rare. Be interested in trying it out.

Edited by yurkie

That controller is horrible for shooters...especially if the game doesn't have rapid fire. Hurt my hand playing a high score competition.

I have found the maze games being tough with the CV stock controllers. Mouse Trap is an example where my mouse will "get stuck" (doesn't lineup correctly with the pathway) and I am fighting with it to get him to move through the maze.

Yes,as mentioned above for most maze games,the CV controllers are pretty frustrating,very true.I know on Lady Bug,and Pepper 2,I had problems.No controller is perfect.Better said this way,some controllers work great at some games,and not on others.But in all honesty,i havent found too many stiks that are really good for maze games.

Edited by Rik

Even a perfect controller on Colecovision or the 5200 won't solve all the problems. I know just by using the emulators for them. It's not entirely the controller's fault. That said, not a fan of the CV stick. It's way too hard to move, and the buttons to hard to push. Very difficult for quick movements or rapid fire.

Anybody have or tried any of the sticks listed here:

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/hardwa...;c=755&st=2

I played a CV with the Amiga/Commodore Power Sticks a few weeks ago at the NAVA, and they were incredibly good!

Even a perfect controller on Colecovision or the 5200 won't solve all the problems. I know just by using the emulators for them. It's not entirely the controller's fault. That said, not a fan of the CV stick. It's way too hard to move, and the buttons to hard to push. Very difficult for quick movements or rapid fire.

Anybody have or tried any of the sticks listed here:

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/hardwa...;c=755&st=2

I played a CV with the Amiga/Commodore Power Sticks a few weeks ago at the NAVA, and they were incredibly good!

Some of these sticks look pretty good. If I could get the little ball attachment, that would make a difference, and would be preferable to another joypad.

I chuckled when I went back through and saw the title of this thread...

Last night I could have set the record for Mouse Trap (skill 1) but had to settle for second place (just bad timing on my part). After 4-1/2 hours wrestling around with that verfluchte ColecoVision controller with sweaty hands is enough to give one a repetitive motion injury.

I scored 4.8 million and shipping the tape out tomorrow...I was on pace to crush the record but I'll have to better arrange my schedule...

But, the controllers are better than the 5200s...

Last night I could have set the record for Mouse Trap (skill 1) but had to settle for second place (just bad timing on my part). After 4-1/2 hours wrestling around with that verfluchte ColecoVision controller with sweaty hands is enough to give one a repetitive motion injury.

I scored 4.8 million and shipping the tape out tomorrow...I was on pace to crush the record but I'll have to better arrange my schedule...

But, the controllers are better than the 5200s...

That's awesome Congratulations! Are you going to try the skill #4 record?

At least the game uses a 8 way controller, you can anticipate a corner, and make a smooth turn by pressing diagonally. The problem with mouse trap is that you move so fast and the distances between turns are so short. The way a game was programmed can really make things harder. Here's an example. In Burgertime the Arcade Machine the controller is a 4 way... you must hold the controller in a position to move and you can't change directions unless your lined up. Donkey Kong on Colecovision is the same way but at least the diagonals are ignored. Things really get rough when you use an 8 way controller on a 4 way arcade game, not only do you not change direction smoothly, you stop if controller is in a diagonal position.Burgertime on the Colecovision, unlike the Arcade Machine is programmed to use an 8 way so that you can use a diagonal to change directions without stopping or timing your direction change perfectly. ( press diagonally while running on a platform right before you get to a ladder to climb in a continuous motion without stopping)

That's awesome Congratulations! Are you going to try the skill #4 record?

At least the game uses a 8 way controller, you can anticipate a corner, and make a smooth turn by pressing diagonally. The problem with mouse trap is that you move so fast and the distances between turns are so short. The way a game was programmed can really make things harder. Here's an example. In Burgertime the Arcade Machine the controller is a 4 way... you must hold the controller in a position to move and you can't change directions unless your lined up. Donkey Kong on Colecovision is the same way but at least the diagonals are ignored. Things really get rough when you use an 8 way controller on a 4 way arcade game, not only do you not change direction smoothly, you stop if controller is in a diagonal position.Burgertime on the Colecovision, unlike the Arcade Machine is programmed to use an 8 way so that you can use a diagonal to change directions without stopping or timing your direction change perfectly. ( press diagonally while running on a platform right before you get to a ladder to climb in a continuous motion without stopping)

I want to surpass the record on skill #1 first but I'll have to set aside 8 hours to do it. Is that something I am willing to do over the summer time? I don't know...I could probably go up to 50 million if I wanted to but you got to draw the line somewhere. Besides, if you figure 1 million points an hour that's a ton of lost sleep and a high intake of caffeine.

I want to turn my attention to Space Invaders, Galaxian Arcade (newly added at my request) and Freeway next. Freeway is only less than two minutes per game and I'm really curious as to how it was possible to score a 38 in that game. I haven't been able to get higher than a 32 which is two shy of Todd Rogers' (tied with 4 others) second place record.