IGNORED

is there anyone still repairing colecovisions?

spudmanno5

hi

i think my colecovision is slightly faulty as with some games the coleco controller fire button doesnt respond as it should (yet an atari one works fine) plus the tv cable socket is a little unlpredictable sometimes. so is there anyone or any place that still repair these systems?! many thanks in advanced! :)

regards

hi

i think my colecovision is slightly faulty as with some games the coleco controller fire button doesnt respond as it should (yet an atari one works fine) plus the tv cable socket is a little unlpredictable sometimes. so is there anyone or any place that still repair these systems?! many thanks in advanced! :)

regards

An Atariage user by the name of Kaze fixed mine and did a fine job on it too. He also does A/V mods to give you a better picture than the standard rf signal, so you could try him :)

Sounds like you have a controller, and switch box problem. I have found that most original colecovision controllers I have bought. I have over a dozen 1 or both fire buttons don't work well. What I did is take the controller apart, desolder the buttons from the board. Disassemble the the button and clean the parts with deoxit cleaner, put them back together. Solder back to the board. For the directional contacts that are depressed when the joystick is moved, take a piece of poster board and wet it with deoxit and run it under between the dome and the contact, while pressing down on the dome move the strip of poster board back and forth. Do this on all 4 of the contacts, might even want to do all 4 then go back and do all 4 again. I have never had a fire button problem once I cleaned them, however you may need to clean direction controls again, that is why I said to do them all, then go back and do them again. I have heard that people desolder the dome and brush them, I have had good enough results with my method that I have not found a need to do this. Thing is take your time and be through, takes me about an hour a controller. Be very careful with the tiny sliding piece inside the fire button, if you bend it up, it will never work right again.

RF video.... I bought a small rf to coax adaptor off of ebay they are cheap and work well. Here is a picture I copied from ebay. If this doesn't work for you, contact doubledown and request a video mod. Chances are he will see this thread, and offer advice too. Best of luck.

post-23318-1245510400_thumb.jpg

Edited by yurkie

Sounds like you have a controller, and switch box problem. I have found that most original colecovision controllers I have bought. I have over a dozen 1 or both fire buttons don't work well. What I did is take the controller apart, desolder the buttons from the board. Disassemble the the button and clean the parts with deoxit cleaner, put them back together. Solder back to the board. For the directional contacts that are depressed when the joystick is moved, take a piece of poster board and wet it with deoxit and run it under between the dome and the contact, while pressing down on the dome move the strip of poster board back and forth. Do this on all 4 of the contacts, might even want to do all 4 then go back and do all 4 again. I have never had a fire button problem once I cleaned them, however you may need to clean direction controls again, that is why I said to do them all, then go back and do them again. I have heard that people desolder the dome and brush them, I have had good enough results with my method that I have not found a need to do this. Thing is take your time and be through, takes me about an hour a controller. Be very careful with the tiny sliding piece inside the fire button, if you bend it up, it will never work right again.

RF video.... I bought a small rf to coax adaptor off of ebay they are cheap and work well. Here is a picture I copied from ebay. If this doesn't work for you, contact doubledown and request a video mod. Chances are he will see this thread, and offer advice too. Best of luck.

hi

thanks for the replies! :) this problem happens with both controllers and with only SOME games (like ones i got from US). The coleco i have is also a french version so it uses scart lead.

ya, someones making a tidy little profit on ebay selling those co-ax adapters for 8 bucks. i get them at a radio shack type store near me for 25 cents. ah the almighty dollar

No kidding? I got 2 with cords for about $8 including shipping, and was quite happy. I will go buy 6 extras if I can get them for 25¢ each.