IGNORED

How many Colecovision fans are there?

Yurkie

I was wondering how many fans are out there? I love the Colecovision, my gf and I play it all the time. I aslo collect items for it and am interested in Homebrews.

From the Forums, seems like there are not many of us Colecovision fans out there. Please leave comments about your collecting, playing, modding, repairing or homebrewing.

I was wondering how many fans are out there? I love the Colecovision, my gf and I play it all the time. I aslo collect items for it and am interested in Homebrews.

From the Forums, seems like there are not many of us Colecovision fans out there. Please leave comments about your collecting, playing, modding, repairing or homebrewing.

My Favorite System. :D

whats a colecovision?

Ha ha :D

Actually, if you look at the first page of threads on this particular forum, you'll find more threads about the Colecovision than for any other classic system.

I think it's a great machine once you get one renovated. We all know the biggest problem with CV's is their poor build quality. It fills that interesting space between the 4K Atari 2600 games and the more sophisticated 8-bits like the Commodore 64, and it's essential for any retrogamer to play it.

We all know the biggest problem with CV's is their poor build quality.

Was the build quality really all that bad, or has time, just taken it's toll? The reason I ask is. I bought one back in 2001 ( ebay) to set the Q*Bert record, and it worked perfect. I pulled it out of climate controlled storage back in February and it was totally dead. I have since bought about 10 from craigslist and ebay, and it's a miracle to find a working one now it seems

Was the build quality really all that bad, or has time, just taken it's toll?

I would say both answers are right. Time has taken its toll, but on cheap parts and components, such as the on/off switch and the joysticks. The Atari 2600, on the other hand, would probably still work even after being dropped from the top of a sixth story flat!

Edited by Spector

I personally love the ColecoVision but in my area games are IMPOSSIBLE to find!! I had to resort to ebay for my games.

Other than my score of about 10 boxed games I got off craigslist. I have not seen any in the wild myself.

I've been lucky.I've been able to find tons of common CV games,and the occasional rare games at the thrift shop and flea markets up until about last year.It has been pretty dry for all consoles and games since then.Besides the 2600,the CV is my 2nd fave system.The CV has the nicer graphics and great sound,sometimes duplicating the arcade ports quite nicely,but the 2600 has the addicting games.

I used to be but like others have said, its almost impossible to find a working unit and I just don't have the time and patience to either learn to fix it or send it to someone else to do so. There are a few games I like - Frenzy, Mr. Do, Ladybug, Cosmic Avenger. Not enough to bother with the hassle of wonky machines. I just sold 2 of my CV's with a bunch of commons on Kijiji for $40. I have one I'm holding onto (works the best of the 3) with a few less common games like Congo Bongo, Spectron, a few others - for a trade.

For me, I have no sentimental attachment to this machine, not having owned one growing up so its not a hard decision to get rid of. I'm an Atari/NES/TG-16 guy. Those were my trinity of gaming growing up. Colecovision never really had a shot in my house.

I will say it has the best home version of galaxian I've ever played. However the games like Donkey Kong, DK jr., Defender, I all find better on 8-bit atari.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Well, my favorite system before the Nintendo was Colecovision. But, I didn't have many games, and was always the most excited when I got one for the CV. The games I played the most were DK and DKjr, but I lost the system along the way somehow.

Getting back into things again now, I'd have to say I didn't see all the systems back then, but I do think the CV is still my sentimental favorite, but the games seem mucj nicer on the 8-bit Atari systems.

I have a CV that won't power up, and would love to get it going. :)

Yep - my favourite console (the Commodore 64 being my favourite retro computer). I bought a CV in the UK back in 1983 after saving hard but could then barely afford the games. I think I ended up with only around 6 games - DK, DKjr, Q*bert, Lady Bug, Smurf and Carnival. Loved them all in their own way but Lady Bug and Q*bert were by far my favourites. I've still got my original console and games (although I'd thrown all of the boxes away - why oh why are kids so short sighted? - LOL)

I've since picked up a boxed UK console (so I now have two UK consoles) and also have two US consoles (bought after I moved to Canada) plus a large collection of boxed games including most of the English/multilingual European releases.

Edited by Ikrananka

I love the CV. I still use the original one I bought not too long after they came out. I did end up switching out the controllers though with others I've acquired along the way. In fact I need to fire mine up today so I can play some Gorf and post a nice high score on the CV HSC. :D

ColecoVision is my favorite console. I love games like Pepper II and Mouse Trap and the fact that the CV games for the most part have a true arcade feel to them.

The 2600 being my second favorite. Mostly due to the huge library available and I am amazed by what some have been able to do with this system pushing it beyond what it was originally intended to do.

I love the Coleco too, if I wasn't in such a confined space right now, I might have that set up beside my Atari.

It's got the graphics of a Nintendo, with the gameplay of an Atari, can't loose with that.

The systems indeed seem rather sorry, my first one has to have the power switch replaced, and the power supply had to be cut and rewired (right at the plug) I bought a Dina, that POS never did quiet work right, it works fine for about 10 minutes, then forget it, it goes grey and the sound goes out. To bad the Coleco was so horribly built, it's really a great system, but it seems like the 5200 in a way. Except it's the console itself instead of the controler.

I personally love the ColecoVision but in my area games are IMPOSSIBLE to find!! I had to resort to ebay for my games.

garage sales. you'd be surprised what I have found over the years at garage sales. some really rare games for pennies!

No there's nothing that far back at garage sales. The oldest i've been able to find recently were NES games. Last year i found a 2600 controller and that was about it. Recently all I've been able to find was Genesis stuff.

garage sales. you'd be surprised what I have found over the years at garage sales. some really rare games for pennies!

No there's nothing that far back at garage sales. The oldest i've been able to find recently were NES games. Last year i found a 2600 controller and that was about it. Recently all I've been able to find was Genesis stuff.

youd be surprised. last summer, I found a colecovision, in a box and she wanted $12. I told her I had $7 on me and she was like "but its a classic!" she took the 7 bucks anyway.

I wanted to say that Im a huge coleco fan and comparing the coleco to the 5200 is like comparing transformers to go-bots!

youd be surprised. last summer, I found a colecovision, in a box and she wanted $12. I told her I had $7 on me and she was like "but its a classic!" she took the 7 bucks anyway.

I wanted to say that Im a huge coleco fan and comparing the coleco to the 5200 is like comparing transformers to go-bots!

I meant in my area.

I meant in my area.

hey, you never know! Im a die hard when it comes to garage sales and you have to hit them hard and fast because theres always someone else out there looking for the same things you want. I hit about 50 garage sales in a 2-3 hour time frame all in massapequa. I know I miss alot of the stuff but you cant be everywhere all at once. Your area is quite nice and I could imagine the items you can find over there.