IGNORED

How many Colecovision fans are there?

Yurkie

I'd be a huge fan if they held up. A good friend had one when I was a kid and we burnt many hours in front of it. I've tried to purchase 2 and in both cases they had issues and were returned. I just don't want to deal with that so I'll stick with the 2600 and Intellivision, which I've never had problems with. There are definitely some great games though.

I don't understand all the complaints about the Colecovisions. I bought one of the first ones new and it still works fine. I've also picked up several at yard sales, thrifts, and flea markets and only one didn't work right (other than some intermittent or hard-to-reproduce problem I may not have noticed). I did have to clean the on/off switch on a couple, and cleaned contacts on super action controllers.

Maybe you guys are all selling the same two or three defective units back and forth to each other?

I guess I've been pretty lucky as far as ColecoVisions go.I've never found a non working CV,and I've found about 10 of them in the last several years at thrift shops.The only thing I've encountered were garbled graphics when ever console was touched or moved during play.I fixed that problem with a simple fix at the RF modulator box inside console.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering how many fans are out there? I love the Colecovision, my gf and I play it all the time. I aslo collect items for it and am interested in Homebrews.

From the Forums, seems like there are not many of us Colecovision fans out there. Please leave comments about your collecting, playing, modding, repairing or homebrewing.

Just got mine today..Its like a 2600 on steroids.. :D

I guess I've been pretty lucky as far as ColecoVisions go.I've never found a non working CV,and I've found about 10 of them in the last several years at thrift shops.The only thing I've encountered were garbled graphics when ever console was touched or moved during play.I fixed that problem with a simple fix at the RF modulator box inside console.

Please share..very interested. :)

I finally got a ColecoVision recently (thanks, Ax!).

It's my third. I had one when they were originally released, but returned it to the store so I could get a 5200. I also had one in the 90s, bought at a flea market. I got rid of that one when I downsized my collection to just Atari 8-bit, SNES, Jaguar, and Lynx in the late 90s.

I currently have the following games, CIB:

Carnival

Cosmic Avenger

Frenzy

Lady Bug

Looping

Mouse Trap

Space Fury

Venture

Zaxxon

I really enjoy all those games very much!

I also have one Super Action controller. Since it's kind of flaky, I just use it to select games. I have a 7800 euro controller plugged into the first port, and I use that to play the games. But I have a couple of standard controllers on their way, along with a Roller Controller, Slither, and Donkey Kong.

I'm trying to make a deal with an AA user for Gorf, Omega Race, Pepper II, and Wargames CIB.

Beyond that, I hope to someday own Tapper, Spy Hunter, Up 'N' Down, and Victory.

I don't really have any plans for games beyond that. I'm leery of getting any game for multiple systems, so I tend to avoid the ports such as Defender. (That's why I got a ColecoVision -- there are lots of good games for it that are on no other system.)

As for the driving controller, it seems like it would be awkward to use and store, and I believe there are only two games for it, so I'm not too keen on getting that either.

I am, however, interested in the Opcode Games expansion module and their version of Donkey Kong.

Carnival

Cosmic Avenger

Frenzy

Lady Bug

Looping

Mouse Trap

Space Fury

Venture

Zaxxon

A lot of nice games there...

Carnival is just about arcade perfect along with LadyBug and Frenzy.

I happen to think that Mouse Trap and Venture are the rare instances of when the home console port is better than the arcade version.

I was never into Zaxxon but I still pick it up from time to time. Otherwise, like you, I enjoy all those titles.

I'm trying to make a deal with an AA user for Gorf, Omega Race, Pepper II, and Wargames CIB.

Beyond that, I hope to someday own Tapper, Spy Hunter, Up 'N' Down, and Victory.

I have War Games and Victory but I never play them. Up N Down I don't have yet as it is pricey. If Atari2600.com has a "nekid lady" I may buy that instead to save some dough.

Otherwise, all those games you mentioned are excellent. Pepper II is one of my favorites on the CV and they did a nice job with Omega Race, Tapper and Spy Hunter.

Now, Gorf - I am of the minority that enjoys the 2600 version so you would expect that I enjoy the CV version as well, which I do. Others will be disappointed with the missing screens and "this is wrong" and "that is wrong." But, no matter how "unfaithful" this may be to the arcade version, I love the audio and graphics of this game. To me, Gorf is the game that gives the ColecoVision the arcade feel more than any other title. I think that says a lot and is in stark contrast to how most people feel about this port.

I don't really have any plans for games beyond that. I'm leery of getting any game for multiple systems, so I tend to avoid the ports such as Defender. (That's why I got a ColecoVision -- there are lots of good games for it that are on no other system.)

I really like the Atarisoft titles Jungle Hunt, Galaxian, Defender and Centipede. I think of those titles Centipede is farthest from "arcade perfect" although none of those titles are arcade perfect for that matter.

Defender is easier than the arcade but it increases in difficulty. It's still challenging, at least for me, and I think the graphics are the best of the home console ports.

Galaxian is really nice. A little different than the arcade but no complaints here.

Fan? Dunno, you tell me.

I own about 25 Colecovisions and about a dozen ADAMs.

I am not sure why I need so many....its about buying every one I see. They are in every room in the house.

I cant walk by one without.....

All started at Chrismas 1984. I wonder how my life would have evolved had I got a Leisurevision instead.

so, you either have 25 rooms in your house or you have 3 to 4 colecos in each room. this is going to sound strange but why would you have that many in one room, in every room of your house?

Perhaps you assume that I have some kind of organization. Like I say, I buy every one I see. I bring it home. The room it lands in is the room it stays in. At one point you had to step over one or two occasionally. Fun at night getting a midnite drink of water from the kitchen with the lites off. Silence - crash - cat yeowl - oops gotta move that CV - drink - back to bed.

BTW down to about 15 CV, sold a few.

I finally got a ColecoVision recently (thanks, Ax!).

It's my third. I had one when they were originally released, but returned it to the store so I could get a 5200. I also had one in the 90s, bought at a flea market. I got rid of that one when I downsized my collection to just Atari 8-bit, SNES, Jaguar, and Lynx in the late 90s.

Carnival

Cosmic Avenger

Frenzy

Lady Bug

Looping

Mouse Trap

Space Fury

Venture

Zaxxon

I really enjoy all those games very much!

I also have one Super Action controller. Since it's kind of flaky, I just use it to select games. I have a 7800 euro controller plugged into the first port, and I use that to play the games. But I have a couple of standard controllers on their way, along with a Roller Controller, Slither, and Donkey Kong.

As for the driving controller, it seems like it would be awkward to use and store, and I believe there are only two games for it, so I'm not too keen on getting that either.

I am, however, interested in the Opcode Games expansion module and their version of Donkey Kong.

yea, im also on the hunt for Spy Hunter and Tapper..would be sweet to own bump n jump too..

Edited by Armonigann

• 1 month later...

I've been a fan of the ColecoVision since a young age. When I was 4-6 I went to a baby sitter who had a ColecoVision I was occasionally allowed to play with. Mostly I just played Donkey Kong. After that I never was able to play one again (despite really wanting to) until last year. Last year I when yard sale browsing I found a Coleco ADAM for $30 and games for $1/pop. I worked out a deal for $40 to buy all the games with the ADAM, and I think I did good.

Loose:

Centipede, Chuck Norris Superkicks, DK Jr., Frogger, Popeye, Q*bert, Robin Hood, Rocky

Complete:

2010, Choplifter!, Cosmic Avenger, Illusions, Miner 2049er, Mouse Trap, Nova Blast, Quest for Quintana Roo, Roc'n Rope, Spectron, Time Pilot, Venture, Wing War

Unfortunately since then I haven't been able to find many more Coleco games when looking around locally (always online buying takes the fun out of things!).

Please share..very interested. :)

Sorry for the late reply.I have several CV,and about 7 of them had the garbled graphics problem.This problem can be caused by bad connections,loose power supply connection,bad rf cable,bad power switch,the list goes on.In MY case,whenever console was touched,the screen would scramble and go blank thus ruining any game in progress and having to reset.I noticed that at the back of CV console where the RF or tv/game switch box cable goes into console,the connector in the console itself was loose or had play in it,the SLIGHTEST touch or movement of cable would scramble graphics.What i did was open up the CV and lift off the cover on the rf modulator box(the little silver metal square box where cable goes into).I noticed there were cracked solder points in and around the box.I re flowed those solders,especially the ones that hold box tight,and the problem was SOLVED.I'm hands on,don't know dick about electrical theory.All i know is those solder points have a PURPOSE and if cracked ,WILL disrupt graphics.My CV'S now all have solid graphics even if console or RF cable is bumped or moved,like when they were NEW. :) :thumbsup:

Edited by Rik