IGNORED

A new game-Miss It (High score list in post #1)

accousticguitar

Here's my twist on the game. You control a princess who is dodging heads of lettuce. If you manage to touch the pink head of lettuce, you gain invincibility for 4 seconds. This is kinda buggy at the moment, but the basic gameplay is IMO visible.

This code is harder to figure out than the 2k version. :(

Here's my 2 cents...

lilmissit.bas

lilmissit.bas.bin

...better make that my 2 k's. :cool:

It took a *lot* of rework to collapse this puppy into 2k. There's nothing terribly inefficient about the original source, but the bB multisprite kernel has a lot of functionality packed into it to use it in a 2k game. A multisprite bin with nothing more than a looping drawscreen takes up ~1160 bytes!

I avoided any changes to the bB kernel, as I felt that would have cheated the spirit of the thing. I was sorely tempted to try to rework the playfield drawing routines to try and squeeze the storage used for that... so many precious bytes to draw a box!!! :) But in the end I was able to make it work without cheating.

Techniques used:

• I simplified the direction/bounce code by using directional xy vectors for each object, instead of the existing single vector. This traded-off ram for code.
  • For similar objects, I looped through arrays and called common functions.
  • I grouped together variable assignments of the same value and put them on single line with the : operator. This removes redundant register=constant assignments in the assembly code.
  • I used shared sprite data.
  • The last thing I did was to play with the positioning of routines around the shared sprite data, to minimize the wasted padding due to the sprite data's location requirements.

If anybody wants to add something, you have at least 54 bytes of rom free. If anybody spots any bugs, fix 'em yourself... after all this code bumming I'm sick of looking at it. :P

Wow, it really *does* fit in 2k! Nice job, RevEng! But I went to compile it, and it didn't like the negative numbers. How do I fix that?

Here's the explanation for my code, I'm going to work on this some more tomorrow instead of later today because I have to go to a BBQ and watch fireworks soon.

missit1.bas

Wow, it really *does* fit in 2k! Nice job, RevEng! But I went to compile it, and it didn't like the negative numbers. How do I fix that?

I'm not sure why it's not working for you... I used the 1.0 bB from batari's site patched with the patches linked in the last post here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...02127&st=25

If you're not at the same level, that's a good place to start.

Ha, i got 67 ! :lol:

A faster score-counter would be nice...

I'm not much better. To test out the objects that come out later I needed to disable the collision detection. Otherwise I'd never know if the missle moving code worked correctly. :)

I've got a 99 a couple times but didn't know it was a record or I would have taken a picture. :lol:

To test out the objects that come out later I needed to disable the collision detection. Otherwise I'd never know if the missle moving code worked correctly. :)

That's what I did too. I am impressed that you were able to get it done in 2k and it looks just like the 4k version too. You were sure busy doing this and the multigame loader as well.

I am impressed that you were able to get it done in 2k and it looks just like the 4k version too. You were sure busy doing this and the multigame loader as well.

Thanks. You mentioned earlier in the thread that it wouldn't be worth the effort to get it working in 2k, and truer words were never spoken.

There's no reason to prefer a 2k rom over a 4k one these days, and I think in the end I spent about 8 hours of code refactoring and squashing all of the bugs I introduced. It was a lot more time and effort than I thought it would take, and my source is a bit ugly from the hacks, but once I was on the mountain I was determined to reach the top.

The multigame loader wasn't a whole lot of work, but yeah, it's been a busy weekend. And now I need to spend some time and shoot for the "3 digit Miss-it club" :)

post-23476-1246808567_thumb.png

I'm in! :)

I like that each game plays out the exact same pattern as the last. If it were randomized I would feel a good game might be the consequence of a lucky sequence.

I usually play up along the top wall moving side to side, which means I only need to see incoming objects from one direction. Anybody use a different strategy?

My first game was 81.

I've found you can sit in the corner of the screen and never move except at "key" points. I forget the first key point off hand, but the second one is at 44 points. You need to move for a second then you can safely go back in the corner and sit for awhile until #3.

EDIT: Okay, so here's the strategy.

1 - Sit in top right corner until 17 points. Avoid enemy and go back to corner.

2 - At point 44, avoid enemy, then sit in corner again.

3 - At point 72, avoid enemy, then sit in corner again.

4 - At point 75, avoid enemy, then sit in corner again.

After that you can figure it out.

Note, you said you stick along the top wall.. a better place to stick is on the right side wall. Two reasons IMO.. 1 - your enemies always come out from the left, 2 - the right side wall is shorter than the top wall.. less space to worry about enemies hitting.

Here's the end result of that game:

post-6095-1246818957_thumb.png

Edited by yuppicide

I think in the end I spent about 8 hours of code refactoring and squashing all of the bugs I introduced.

I recommend 8 hours of R&R playing Atari after all that hard work. ;)

It definitely scores over 100. It's just a coincidence that the top scores are both 100.

It should use all digits of the score, and since you get 1 point per second you'll need to survive a long time to see the score roll. ;)

I think it will use up all the digits, though after about 18 minutes funny things happen. Most of the objects stop moving and then start again one by one like at the beginning of the game. The objects end up in a different pattern than the original one. I figure most people won't ever be able to play long enough to see that happen. I think it happens around 1090 if I remember correctly.

Yes, I think the ball's introduction points should be random, like what I did with my 4k version.

I thought about that, but I like having a pattern where if you play in the middle of the screen (which is what I do, maybe a little towards the top) there are objects coming at you relentlessly from all directions. Sometimes it works well randomly, and sometimes it doesn't.

I see my high score has been beaten at least twice already. :)

I like that label neotokeo2001. It's nice and colorful. :)

And not a bad score either. Did you get hit by the last missile as it was coming out?

• 3 weeks later...