IGNORED

Reboot's ProjectOne Unveiled

Mr Morden

If I may nitpick, I would suggest to move the more coloured, galaxy-filled layer on the background and move it slower than the current almost-star-only deep layer, while getting another front-layer with sparse stars moving quicker.

I know what you're saying, but the way the deep background works it cannot have detailed gfx on it, it's just a 16 colour 2 screen repeating pattern. The other stuff is in the tile layer where (in this level) the space station gfx are. Our current level design looks very different the the videos, there's a lot less of the spacey stuff & much more solid ground. There's still a couple of screens worth of tiles to be made though. there's been a lot of changes in fact, but they are all for the level 1 release, I think another video would spoil a lot of the fun of the release.

Also, I can't imagine what's going on with the collision detection active on the player sprite! I hope we will have some shields :-D

I don't think the collision detection was on for the video. The game uses an energy bar system that regenerates over time if you do not get hit. So you do effectively have shields... but you get hurt bad if you try to fly over/through an enemy sprite as it pwns the energy bar quickly.

We're aware Project One isn't technically all that in a few respects. We're using it as a nice way to learn how to do things & make things better next time - there's been extensive note taking & planning (something that wasn't part of the plan with this game - it just happened). We could have scrapped what we had a month or so ago & started again with what we have learned, but that would have only taken that much longer & that's the last thing we're going to do, delays & waiting are no fun for anyone, releases are what it's all about... instead we chose to stick with it & continue to learn from it. So P1 will appear and not everyone will like everything about it but that's OK, we'd expect that anyway :)

Who is it you know that is going? :ponder:

Reason I ask is that not that many people have paid for tickets so far and I have confirmations of what each of them is bringing with them. If there is a chance we may see a build of your game at JFUK I would really like to let Retro Gamer know about it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just popped by to inform you that level one has entered beta testing!

What does that mean exactly? (skip to the last paragraph if you're bored reading all this crap!)

Well, the code has entered feature freeze, so nothing major being done apart bugfixes and tweaks to the gameplay as more feedback is gathered (well that's a lie, Morden has added tweaks to the code that will make it look ever better than it was! But as a general rule, we don't change the specs too much). We now have a boot screen, a loading screen (none of the static and boring "LOADING" logos you've seen in games), a title screen, the main game itself, and a quite original (even if we say it ourselves) pause screen. The source code files alone are close too 400k in size!

As for the gfx, kZa has been drawing all month like a maniac, trying to visualize our crazy ideas. Currently the map alone is around 800k (tiles & data), and we've got all kinds of fonts, logos, backgrounds, fonts etc crammed in there so everything looks good for us! (we hope you will agree with our standards:)).

Musically we recruited Dubmood and 505 to help us talentless saps at creating something more that goes bleep-bleep-bleep :)

Initial feedback from the playtesters showed that not everyone likes the default level of difficulty as much as we do, so we included 3 difficulty settings. Although myself and Morden (oh and remo too) think that even the hard setting is doable :).

The waves design is halfway through. So far there isn't a wave repeated twice, so you won't get bored shooting the same enemy formations over and over again. IIRC there are 7 different enemies in there, each with different firing patterns and toughness. Of course, that's not counting the stationary targets and the obligatory boss gfx!

Finally, the game will be released in .ROM format, which will be 4mb big. Each level will be released when completed, so we'll release new files for each of the level complete.

Did I bore you? Let me try to summarize it in 25 words or less then!: Project One Level 1: Soon out now, stay tuned!

Edited by promethea

Well, thank you for all the clarifications. I think it is going to be a very cool and fun game. And I can't wait to see it finished.

About the release format, I read that you'll make a 4 MB rom image. Does that mean that I need to encode&burn? or maybe I'll need to burn a ROM? Or that I'll need a flashcart thingie?

About the release format, I read that you'll make a 4 MB rom image. Does that mean that I need to encode&burn? or maybe I'll need to burn a ROM? Or that I'll need a flashcart thingie?

It's designed to run from a flashcart - Alpine (2mb for tests, 4mb for final), Skunk (I or II) or a JagCF (if you have a beta :P)

The final game will be a 4Mb ROM image. The level test releases will be 2mb ROM images.

However it also runs (if you accept a few glitches) on the Project Tempest emulator. It does not run anywhere near full speed or even correctly on VirtualJaguar, and I doubt it will run correctly in MESS either (Not tested it, MESS seems geared towards CoJag emulation as it has 68020 for CPU, and the emulated clock speeds are all wrong - at least, according to the MESS website anyway)

There will not be a CD-ROM release.

This sounds very interesting :)

Personally I think that a CD version would be great.

Due to some design decisions we took, it's simply not possible at this time. Couple that with the fact that no Reboot member has a JagCD to experiment, our answer is simply "Sorry, no can do"...

I've played to a beta version of this shooter, trust me or not, but that's a futur Jaguar hit !!

The Reboot team has done a very great work. Very nice animated intro, nice music, nice pause screen, great game !!

GT Turbo (C.V.S.D., Jagware)

I certainly won't discourage viewing the old video - but I will say that video is a very far cry from representing the current beta... :cool:

This is indeed correct. ProjectOne is looking much better than when that video was created. :)

It's designed to run from a flashcart - Alpine (2mb for tests, 4mb for final), Skunk (I or II) or a JagCF (if you have a beta :P)

The final game will be a 4Mb ROM image. The level test releases will be 2mb ROM images.

However it also runs (if you accept a few glitches) on the Project Tempest emulator. It does not run anywhere near full speed or even correctly on VirtualJaguar, and I doubt it will run correctly in MESS either (Not tested it, MESS seems geared towards CoJag emulation as it has 68020 for CPU, and the emulated clock speeds are all wrong - at least, according to the MESS website anyway)

There will not be a CD-ROM release.

Hmmm, I see.

And will you ever plan a cart release? (although I am looking forward to a JagCF)

Hmmm, I see.

And will you ever plan a cart release? (although I am looking forward to a JagCF)

We think we can do a small run of carts for around $20-$30 each (possibly less) - if thats the case then we'll do a run for the cost of manufacture and shipping. No $80 stinker here folks!

Hmmm, I see.

We think we can do a small run of carts for around $20-$30 each (possibly less) - if thats the case then we'll do a run for the cost of manufacture and shipping. No $80 stinker here folks!

That sounds great, Morden! :) a Skunk file works, but if you have the time for some carts -cool. :)

Hmmm, I see.

That would be awesome!

Jaggy goodness come to me! :lust:

How is that possible? Everything I've read from various sources claims that the raw cost for parts alone in a 2-MB cart is about $50 to $60 or more. I was under the impression that the ICs used are quite pricey.

How is that possible? Everything I've read from various sources claims that the raw cost for parts alone in a 2-MB cart is about $50 to $60 or more. I was under the impression that the ICs used are quite pricey.
Maybe if you insist on using the original cartridge PCBs and (obsolete & hard-to-find) EPROMs. Definitely not if you design a new PCB, using much cheaper Flash memory.
  • Like 3

Just look at the skunkboard, it is not really expensive, compared to a game release.

If you remove USB stuff, replace flash by a far cheapest eprom, remove all unnecessary stuff used for flashing card, you should get a cheapest alternative. It seems that nobody decided to make an alternative PCB until now, but it may happen.

Or just have a look at Lynx scene, we have lots of differents homebrew PCB (Songbird, Lars Baumstark, Lynxman, Poland guys, Video 61, ...) with different routings and solutions (they do not use the same EPROM) but most of them have a very decent production price. Even if Jaguar PCB is probably more complex than a Lynx one, it should be cheaper than reusing old PCB and very hard to find EPROMS.

Of course, you have to add to the production price, the case cost, a few bucks to cover warranty and misfunctional cartridges, and to get some money for developers if they want.

• Like 1

I'd definitely be interested in a real cartridge version, especially at that type of pricepoint!

Cheers,

Smeg

Well, keep in mind that what we are about to release is the content for level 1 only (plus titles etc), so it's still a good months till we hit final release. Then we can talk again about a cart release. Who knows, maybe you guys will think it'll stink so bad, it won't be worth the silicon :)

As for manual and box....... I really doubt that. Unless you want a 32-page manual saying "You see the screen? See some shapes dancing around? Yes? Well, SHOOT THE HELL OUT OF THEM! Repeat till level's done. Proceed to the next." :D

(well yeah, we can include a 30-page ego trip to fill the rest of the manual, but we're already too chuffed, so I doubt it'll do us any good :P)

• Like 1