IGNORED

Colecovision Labels Thread

pboland

Wow, this labels thread is getting a lot of awesome contribution from many! I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'd like to showcase a little bit of my art without starting a whole new thread right now.

Here's are a couple of fantasy ones I created earlier this year:

Damn nice labels. I would really have loved to see the DK II with black background.

• Like 1

I really liked the gold DK2 because it matched the original Game & Watch box art, plus it gives it that "special edition" kind of look. Here's a quick and dirty rendering of the DK2 idea in Coleco standard black:

Sweet! Now we just need the game.

I really liked the gold DK2 because it matched the original Game & Watch box art, plus it gives it that "special edition" kind of look. Here's a quick and dirty rendering of the DK2 idea in Coleco standard black:
I was going to say that too, I could care less what the label looked like if the game really existed.

I was going to say that too, I could care less what the label looked like if the game really existed.

Well thank you! Think of it this way: I design the artistic concept, and a programmer gets inspired by it. I'm not exactly a programmer, so I find joy in creating concept art. If I could bring you the game, believe me I would be thrilled to!

Should be pretty simple I'd think. The game itself is just a slightly modified version of existing gamescreens IMO. Screen one could be a modded up Mario's Hideout from the Adam DKJ game, and screen 2 could be a modified Chains screen from DKJ. :)

Should be pretty simple I'd think. The game itself is just a slightly modified version of existing gamescreens IMO. Screen one could be a modded up Mario's Hideout from the Adam DKJ game, and screen 2 could be a modified Chains screen from DKJ. :)

Yes, but I think it should be redesigned for an arcade quality video game system. Maybe incorporating the 5th screen from the ADAM DKJ rev. 13 proto, as well as some other uniquenesses.

I would argue that it would be a more interesting programming project to reproduce the original Game & Watch game as precisely as possible, with black sprites and still backgrounds, like the Game & Watch Gallery games on the Game Boy Advance. ;)

In fact, why stop at Donkey Kong II? There are plenty of Nintendo Game & Watch units that would be fun to convert as-is to the ColecoVision, especially the early classics. :D

• Like 1

I would argue that it would be a more interesting programming project to reproduce the original Game & Watch game as precisely as possible, with black sprites and still backgrounds, like the Game & Watch Gallery games on the Game Boy Advance. ;)

In fact, why stop at Donkey Kong II? There are plenty of Nintendo Game & Watch units that would be fun to convert as-is to the ColecoVision, especially the early classics. :D

I second that!

Zelda G&W would be awesome! :D .... eh eh ;)

No, I agree with Yurkie here. Those games were amazing when mobile gaming was limited to that technology at the time. And they were so fun to take with me in the backseat of the car on trips. But re-imagining games like "Donkey Kong 2", "Mario's Cement Factory" and "Mario's Bombs Away" on the Colecovision sounds so much cooler!

But re-imagining games like "Donkey Kong 2", "Mario's Cement Factory" and "Mario's Bombs Away" on the Colecovision sounds so much cooler!

That's all about this actually .... no direct port but rather "remake" with enhanced graphics

There's a bunch of classics G&W and they are pretty awesome!

Sure, just looking at the graphics today can give you a bad taste..... but play them! :)

I have noticed on the labels for ColecoVision and Adam games the font that reads "FAMILY COMPUTER SYSTEM" isn't quite right. The letter "O" is rounder on the actual cartridges than the fonts used here. I know it is a minor thing that most people wouldn't notice so it is not a big deal.

I was just curious if anyone knows of a font that is closer to the original?

I have noticed on the labels for ColecoVision and Adam games the font that reads "FAMILY COMPUTER SYSTEM" isn't quite right. The letter "O" is rounder on the actual cartridges than the fonts used here. I know it is a minor thing that most people wouldn't notice so it is not a big deal.

I was just curious if anyone knows of a font that is closer to the original?

It's actually better if there is a difference like that, to keep dishonest people from making replicas and passing off as originals.

Good catch. I worked hard to find a match… used one font for most of the text, and I think I swapped in another font for a decent "o" match. If I remember right. I'll have to go back and check.

Well I wouldn't worry too much about it the font is pretty darn close most people wouldn't notice it anyway. And like Yurkie said maybe it is better if there are slight differences.

Good catch. I worked hard to find a match… used one font for most of the text, and I think I swapped in another font for a decent "o" match. If I remember right. I'll have to go back and check.

My mistake I wasn't referring to your label that font looks about perfect, I was talking about the ones posted ealier. Sorry for the mix up, it was my mistake.

• Like 1