IGNORED

Colecovision Labels Thread

pboland

The resolution for best results, you'll need an image with minimum of ~850 pixels wide by ~1100 pixels high.

Oh well... the file linked in the post above is 839x1061 300dpi as I've setup the project to 7,1 x 8,98 cm (2,797 x 3,537 inches)... maybe my starting measures are wrong... Have you got the real dimensions ?

Oh well... the file linked in the post above is 839x1061 300dpi as I've setup the project to 7,1 x 8,98 cm (2,797 x 3,537 inches)... maybe my starting measures are wrong... Have you got the real dimensions ?

Your measurements are right. It's 300dpi that's messing you up. 300dpi is the output resolution (aka printer) DPI = Dots per inch, PPI = pixels per inch.

2.7 inches width should be @ 300 ppi = 810 pixels. 2.7 times 300)

3.5 inches height should be @ 300 ppi = 1050 pixels

Edited by Kamshaft

Well, the print store asked me 35USD to print it... Maybe I should buy a new colevision's turbo cart..it would be cheaper

Ya, buying a Turbo cart would definitely be cheaper! I'll sell you a Turbo cart with an awesome label for.....(wait for it).... $34.99 USD! ;)

Edited by Kamshaft

Well, the print store asked me 35USD to print it... Maybe I should buy a new colevision's turbo cart..it would be cheaper

If you need a label printed up, I can help. I have a pretty extensive library of Cart labels which I've cleanup/redraw. I do have a $20.00 minimum order (not including shipping), but you can just order more labels to fill the minimum. If you are interested please PM me and I can give you my full list of available labels.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hot off the press, trying a easy to replace game prior to doing all of them. going to clean the cart inside and out tonight and get the new label installed within the next few days! Was printed on a Mikmaki CJV30-130 Printer.

Is a Mimaki CG-60 SR III capable of printing and cutting high quality label as well?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Is there a label for a Smartbasic cartridge anywhere?

And if people are looking for suggestions for other labels:

- Frantic

- Road Fighter

- Circus Charlie

- Diamond Dash

Fantasy ones:

- Bouncer (based on the lost arcade game)

- Teeter Torture

- Exidy Fire One

- Stern's Rescue

- Smurf Super Game

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/28/2012 at 1:09 AM, KevinMos3 said:

I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I have a couple labels to contribute. These are scans of my carts that I've cleaned up. I've matched the legal text font and positioning precisely. I could also scan Montezuma's Revenge, Q*bert, War Room, and some others not yet found here, but I'm not sure I'll have time.

Here are two for now, in 300dpi:

post-9364-0-77579100-1348808483_thumb.png post-9364-0-42309600-1348808373_thumb.png

You have saved me!  I bought a cartridge off eBay with a severely damaged label and this.. is.. what... I .. NEEEDED!   THANK YOU!!!

• 10 months later...
On 4/11/2016 at 12:03 PM, pboland said:

If you need a label printed up, I can help. I have a pretty extensive library of Cart labels which I've cleanup/redraw. I do have a $20.00 minimum order (not including shipping), but you can just order more labels to fill the minimum. If you are interested please PM me and I can give you my full list of available labels.

Do you still do colecovision  replacement labels ? If you do I would like to purchase 

• 1 month later...

I've just scanned in my pretty good condition Colecovision Pitfall cart label. It's got the usual deterioration from the glue that was used back then. To make it worse you may not realize that Activision carts were printed using diagonal patterns with dots of different colors next to each other to give the impression of a different color which was a common printing method back then. For example the orange is actually made up of red and yellow dots. The brown around the large Pitfall text is printed over orange and the blue sky is printed over the solid light blue which is actually one of the few solid colors. All this gets picked up by the scanner and looks pretty bad 40 years later. Anyway this is probably the best Colecovision Pitfall label scan on the internet ;-)

For reference the actual label is 67mm x 80mm and is scanned at 300DPI.

It would be nice if someone who is good with Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator could vectorize this so we all have a nice clean image to replace on our carts to make it shiny and new again :-)

I also attached a couple of others I made for Lode Runner and the 16k European release of Donkey Kong.

pitrfall-scan-cleaned.png

loderunnerlabel.jpg

donkeykong16klabel.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another one I just did with a before picture too hehe!

I'm slowing figuring out how these were originally done.

Looks like they used a font with styles from at least 2 different fonts. It almost matches Century Gothic Bold but some of the numbers are different (particularly the 1 and 9) so I had to use different fonts sometimes even within the same word. I wish I knew exactly which font they used but it's now 30 years too late.

It appears the labels were done with a word processing system with auto kerning and with paragraph text so the spaces between words as well as the individual characters themselves are squashed or stretched horizontally to fit the available space. In some cases I had to stretch or squash multiple single characters and I had to adjust the width of *every* word regardless to get it to fit the original scan. However the end result is a near perfect 1:1 copy within 0.1mm of the original. I'm no Photoshop master so the only problem is these take me about 6-10 hours to make ?
So I'm only doing this for the carts I own that are trashed like this one is.

IMG.jpg

wargameslabel.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I made one partially. It is accurate to the original with all text replaced with the correct truetype fonts (just common but non-free Helvetica) but I only found low quality pics so all the graphics are really bad and the label isn't very big (only 180dpi). Feel free to improve etc.

wizmathlabel.png

Edited by TheGuru
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheGuru said:

I made one partially. It is accurate to the original with all text replaced with the correct truetype fonts (just common but non-free Helvetica) but I only found low quality pics so all the graphics are really bad and the label isn't very big (only 180dpi). Feel free to improve etc.

Here is a transparent PNG and .AI for your label.  

image.thumb.png.5077ce4f806c618b00a69f2da395cba2.pngWizmath Label.ai

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, OriginalJohn said:

Here is a transparent PNG and .AI for your label.

Great! Thanks for that. I'm curious where this came from? Is there a secret archive of high quality Colecovision artwork somewhere? ;-)

MMarcoux66: Here is the final 300dpi image.

I made the background just white because it will print better. The grayness might just be the texture in the paper.

It would be possible to make positioning more accurate and with 100% correct colors but that will require a high quality scan from an original cart. This is the best I can do right now.

wizmathlabel.png

• Thanks 1