IGNORED

Retro Gen Portable Sega Genesis & Mega Drive

looks interesting...

from the videogamecentral website:

The Retro Gen is like a newer version of the Sega Nomad plus. This portable Sega system can play Sega Genesis carts plus, Mega Drive carts (Japanese Sega Genesis). It also has an included TV out function so that you can connect this portable to any TV set for full size gameplay. This new unit also features the arcade style button layout plus a built-in rechargable battery via USB so that you never need a set of batteries! All that plus it's built on the Firebox technology so that you can use development carts to download new future DLC games!

http://store.videogamecentral.com/sega-gen...e-retrogen.html

post-2689-1246003482.jpeg

Yes, interesting indeed.

Just a little quibble, the system was only known as the Genesis on the Northern American continent, it wasn't just in Japan that it was called the Mega Drive, it was also known as that here in Australia, as well as in Europe.

The Mega Drive (メガドライブ, Mega Doraibu?) is a fourth-generation video game console released by Sega in Japan in 1988 and Europe in 1990. The console was released in North America in 1989 under the name Genesis, as Sega was unable to secure legal rights to the Mega Drive name in that region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Mega_Drive

I'd be very interesting in getting one of these...

P.S. Hyperkin is making one that has an official Sega license with 20 built-in games as well as being able to play carts. Hyperkin also claims their's is more compatible than this one Innex is making. I think Hyperkins is coming out in August.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

Yes, interesting indeed.

Just a little quibble, the system was only known as the Genesis on the Northern American continent, it wasn't just in Japan that it was called the Mega Drive, it was also known as that here in Australia, as well as in Europe.

The Mega Drive (メガドライブ, Mega Doraibu?) is a fourth-generation video game console released by Sega in Japan in 1988 and Europe in 1990. The console was released in North America in 1989 under the name Genesis, as Sega was unable to secure legal rights to the Mega Drive name in that region.

Yeah, I believe there was an issue with someone already holding the "Megadrive" name in NA, so we got Genesis (as I understand it)

That sounds like it's supposed to actually use carts? I'd be all over that, got a NES, and then a Genesis, maybe someone would come out with a portable SNES :lol: Anyhow, I'm still waiting for my portable cart accepting Atari 2600 though damnit :P

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, interesting indeed.

Yeah, I believe there was an issue with someone already holding the "Megadrive" name in NA, so we got Genesis (as I understand it)

That sounds like it's supposed to actually use carts? I'd be all over that, got a NES, and then a Genesis, maybe someone would come out with a portable SNES :lol: Anyhow, I'm still waiting for my portable cart accepting Atari 2600 though damnit :P

Yeah, its going to use carts. I thought you guys may be interested in seeing the flyer for it. I just got it Friday.

sellsheet_RETROGEN_watermark_low.jpg

We have them for pre-order as well here. RETROGEN Portable $40.00

This does look sooooo cool but I want to know will new games be made for it? I know it's supposed to have an SD card which leads me to believe you can download roms to the SD card then play them on the system. Am I way off base here or will new homebrew games be made for it like Begger Prince was done recently, okay well may be not that recently but long after the Genesis was a major player in the market. And what the heck is the interviewer talking about the Genny being 32-bit. It was only 16-bit. Will this system, the Retro-Gen, be 32-bit or is he just confused, which is probably the case. That would be cool then maybe you could do 3D games for this system but I'm sure he's just confused and has his 16-bit and 32-bit systems mixed up.

Rich :)

Please everyone, there are TWO Genesis portables about to be released. One is by Innex, the other is by Hyperkin. Basically they're competing against each other, but both play carts and have similar features to each other.

I definitely intend to pit the two against each other in a side by side comparison.

There are also two consoles coming out, from their respective companies. Those, too will be compared side by side. I have a bit of inside news that I have not been able to tell much of up to now, very hush hush. But I will definitely say that BOTH Innex and Hyperkin will both be releasing similar devices.

Nathan,

I don't know what inside info you have but spill it man! I've not heard alot about the Hyperkin version. I'll have to check their website and see what articles I find on it. The Innex version looks promising and I'm really interested in that one. The SD card port is a great addition and is promising for homebrew games. All this Sega talk made me break out the Nomad last night and play some Virtua Racing and Castle of Illusion. Looks like I'm hooked all over again. :)

Rich

Nathan,

I don't know what inside info you have but spill it man! I've not heard alot about the Hyperkin version. I'll have to check their website and see what articles I find on it. The Innex version looks promising and I'm really interested in that one. The SD card port is a great addition and is promising for homebrew games. All this Sega talk made me break out the Nomad last night and play some Virtua Racing and Castle of Illusion. Looks like I'm hooked all over again. :)

Rich

Hyperkin's version looks similar, but there are differences. Hyperkin's is coming out a little later and I believe actually has built-in games as well. As for the SD card port. There is NO, I repeat NO, SD card port on either model. There will be a way for you to use an SD cards on these systems, but it will most likely be a separately purchased peripheral (special cart). I heard homebrew games will be encouraged though. Unfortunetely my hands are tied right now, I can't say too much because the information I was given was confidential. The minute I can, I will.

Also an issue with bother the Hyperkin and Innex is the lack of a Mode button. This shouldn't be a big deal in most cases, but kind of sucks for the few games that do use it (not sure how many that is).

Nathan,

Rich

Hyperkin's version looks similar, but there are differences. Hyperkin's is coming out a little later and I believe actually has built-in games as well. As for the SD card port. There is NO, I repeat NO, SD card port on either model. There will be a way for you to use an SD cards on these systems, but it will most likely be a separately purchased peripheral (special cart). I heard homebrew games will be encouraged though. Unfortunetely my hands are tied right now, I can't say too much because the information I was given was confidential. The minute I can, I will.

Also an issue with bother the Hyperkin and Innex is the lack of a Mode button. This shouldn't be a big deal in most cases, but kind of sucks for the few games that do use it (not sure how many that is).

Well nuts I was hoping for an SD card port but if I have to buy an extra cart or peripheral I suppose that's ok. I guess I'll have to wait until the 25th to see what it's like. I'll keep playing the Nomad until the Retrogen is here.

Rich

Wonder if this SD adapter will work on a real Genesis. That would be nice to have.

Now there's something I'd not thought of. Now I wonder too if the SD card cart/peripheral would work on the original Genesis or the Nomad for that matter. It would have to be a special cart of some sort like StoneAgeGamer said. Good thought yuppicide. Very interesting....

Rich

Welcome to atariage beastech! I was wondering if you were ever going to register.

I'm looking forwrd to both Innex's and Hyperkin's handhelds.

Thanks nathanallan. I've been chomping at the bit to try both of these out, and the fact I've got to wait just a little longer is driving me out of my mind! Nothing I can do about it though.