IGNORED

Retro Gen Portable Sega Genesis & Mega Drive

Please everyone, there are TWO Genesis portables about to be released. One is by Innex, the other is by Hyperkin. Basically they're competing against each other, but both play carts and have similar features to each other.

I definitely intend to pit the two against each other in a side by side comparison.

There are also two consoles coming out, from their respective companies. Those, too will be compared side by side. I have a bit of inside news that I have not been able to tell much of up to now, very hush hush. But I will definitely say that BOTH Innex and Hyperkin will both be releasing similar devices.

I like this one better, its named after a planet. (Pluto)

I will pick up this sooner or later... Its too cool to let it slide!

Edited by Frizo

Pluto was dropped. Hyperkin's is now called GenMobile and their regular Geniclone that's coming out is called GenCore. I will be accepting pre-orders for both the GenMobile and GenCore soon. There will be a full page ad in Classic Video Gamer Magazine with information right next to their review (or preview) the the system. I will probably also get the RetroGen in as well, but you will probably not be able to pre-order this.

I will begin pre-orders for Hyperkin's GenMobile ($54.99) and their regular geniclone the GenCore ($39.99) this weekend. I will post once its up. Hyperkin said these will be shipping Late August/Early September. Classic Video Gamer Magazine will have a promotion on their site and we will also have a full page ad in their next issue with a $5 OFF discount code for the GenMobile. So you can get the GenMobile for only $49.99!

GenMobile Info:

• 20 official Sega games Built-in (I will have the game list when I put up pre-order)
  • 2.5" TFT Color Screen
  • Color options: Black or Sonic Blue
  • Plays Genesis and Mega-drive Carts (pretty sure it can play Japanese MD as well since they sent me a pic with one playing one)
  • Play on your TV with AV out
  • Rechargeable Battery w/AC Adapter
  • AV Cable
  • Headphone Jack
  • FireCore compatible

GenCore Info:

• 20 official Sega games Built-in (same games as GenMobile)
  • Color: Sonic Blue
  • Plays Genesis and Mega-drive Carts
  • 2 wired Genesis style 6-button controllers (pretty sure the plugs on the system are Genesis controller compatible)
  • IR Wireless Ability (for future wireless controllers I assume)
  • AC Adapter
  • FireCore compatible

Images will be coming soon...

Pluto was dropped. Hyperkin's is now called GenMobile and their regular Geniclone that's coming out is called GenCore. I will be accepting pre-orders for both the GenMobile and GenCore soon. There will be a full page ad in Classic Video Gamer Magazine with information right next to their review (or preview) the the system. I will probably also get the RetroGen in as well, but you will probably not be able to pre-order this.

Really? Bummer...Oh well...

Ill try and get atleast one, what everone looks more like the original.

Sorry, more like the original what?

The RetroGen and GenMobile look similar, the only thing I see different is the d-pad and the 6 buttons on the RetroGen are shiny metallic looking. Obviously look nothing like a Nomad, because the Nomad was a beast.

The GenCore looks nothing like any model Genesis. IMO its ugly, but I don't think Hyperkin had much to say about the design. I think it was designed by Sega. Think Sonic the Hedgehog's head. Although I am more concerned with function over how it looks.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

Although I am more concerned with function over how it looks.

Same here.

As long as the sound is good and it doesn't have graphical issues with Street Fighter, and uses Genesis controllers, I will be a happy camper! ;)

Official Genesis' are really getting expensive; at my local GameSwap, Genesis 1's are $69.99 model 2's are $79.99 and model 3's are $89.99. Talk about gouging! :|

There is no excuse to not use official Genesis controllers with this thing.

I know, I bought a untested rig today for $10-- turned out the power supply was bad, the RF connector was bad, but the Genny is just dirty and works perfect. Came with two sticky controllers, one was a Sega brand Turbo fire!

He may have been quoting boxed or mint condition units, and I can actually see that.

I got the poster in yesterday and started doing pre-orders as well at the site in my signature. It looks like the screen is going to be slightly smaller on the GEN Mobile, but the system itself looks nicer than the Retrogen in my opinion. Not to mention it has 20 games built in!

No way would I sell a Genesis, any model for that high (with the exception of the CDX/X'Eye).

Edited by beastech

Sorry, more like the original what?

The RetroGen and GenMobile look similar, the only thing I see different is the d-pad and the 6 buttons on the RetroGen are shiny metallic looking. Obviously look nothing like a Nomad, because the Nomad was a beast.

The GenCore looks nothing like any model Genesis. IMO its ugly, but I don't think Hyperkin had much to say about the design. I think it was designed by Sega. Think Sonic the Hedgehog's head. Although I am more concerned with function over how it looks.

Original Genesis.

Sonic's Head? Ive seen a picture of it. It would have looked okay with a darker blue...

maybe I missed it , but what is FireCore compatible? I noticed the gencore and genmobile both mention it.

also the gencore kinda looks like the playpal system from a few years ago.

playpalsega.jpg

which of course played the same games the coleco handheld played:

colecohhsegaboxf.jpg

colecohhsegasc2.jpg

later,

charles

yes, I do own it, the pictures are from my site. here is another picture showing it in the box:

playpalsegabox.jpg

I picked it up from Fry's a few years back for about $20

I'll say again-- the Coleco Sega handheld rocks absolutely. That Sonic head game looks... odd. Do you own it? I'd like to get one just to say I have it.

• 2 months later...

Well finally got the Retrogen. Really nice. Nice packaging. No SD slot so it must be a cart to add to it with an SD slot in it. They also included built-in games with it, 12 in all. No Sega Games but some pretty good ones none the less. I like it. Haven't tried out any of my Genesis games in it yet but it's still charging. I'll let you know more when I get it charged and can play it. I'll include pics later too. :D

Rich

I've never seen the Coleco one before, sorry I missed out on that one!

Aw, how did I not reply to this post! I made a video of my little handheld, here:

I'll be carrying the GenMobile for El Paso, so far as I know I'm the only local guy. Something I've noticed, nobody here likes to pre-order jack shiznit. They all want to see one. I can understand this to a point, but then again, no. I preordered Curt's joystick, and am on the list for Pier Solar. What is it with most people and preordering??

Hey Nathan,

Did you get your Retrogen yet? Just wondered if you tried it out yet and what you thought. It's does play very well but I'm not impressed with the sound quaility. Played Land of Illusion last night and the sound just wasn't right, at least to me. Let me know what you think.

I've seen that Coleco hand-held at K B Toys before they went under. I was going to get one but they were gone the next time I went in and now the stores are out of business so I guess I'll have to find one online.

Let me know what you guys think of the GenMobile too. I may have to get one of those with all the games loaded to it. That is if I can come up with the cash. That comes out tomorrow doesn't it? Well at least it's supposed to. The Retrogen was delayed awhile but that's Innex's system. Hyperkin may not have any delays to theirs. I guess the reason for the Retrogen delay was to make improvements to it, make it more compatible.

Rich

Hey Nathan,

Did you get your Retrogen yet? Just wondered if you tried it out yet and what you thought. It's does play very well but I'm not impressed with the sound quaility. Played Land of Illusion last night and the sound just wasn't right, at least to me. Let me know what you think.

I've seen that Coleco hand-held at K B Toys before they went under. I was going to get one but they were gone the next time I went in and now the stores are out of business so I guess I'll have to find one online.

Let me know what you guys think of the GenMobile too. I may have to get one of those with all the games loaded to it. That is if I can come up with the cash. That comes out tomorrow doesn't it? Well at least it's supposed to. The Retrogen was delayed awhile but that's Innex's system. Hyperkin may not have any delays to theirs. I guess the reason for the Retrogen delay was to make improvements to it, make it more compatible.

Rich

Actually both of them were delayed. Hyperkin's was suppose to release in early September.

Hey Nathan,

Rich

Actually both of them were delayed. Hyperkin's was suppose to release in early September.

I did not know that. Has Hyperkin delayed it anymore or will it still come out tomorrow? I'd be interested in seeing the differences between systems and maybe some reviews/feedback of the systems by those that got both.

Rich