opcode

Donkey Kong Arcade (ColecoVision)

After 10 years passing, time was not on your side with this one. Sorry to hear of your new found troubles with this. :(

Of course, we don't know what will come of this yet. Nintendo does take a pretty hard stance on it's IP, but I guess we will have to just wait and see.

3 hours ago, cybercylon said:

Of course, we don't know what will come of this yet. Nintendo does take a pretty hard stance on it's IP, but I guess we will have to just wait and see.

You're joking right? When you get a C&D from Nintendo you either stop in your tracks or you get sued into bankruptcy and you still have to stop. It's that cut and dry. I'm not saying I like it, but that is how it goes every single time without any variance. Ask anyone who hasn't obliged by a Nintendo C&D. Mentioning the mailing list for further information was a really dumb thing to do also. Nintendo will read of that and seek out further info. Add that on top of the fact that some people buy games from Ed for the sole purpose of flipping them on Ebay for profit, which means any of the copies of DK sold behind closed doors that those scalpers put up on ebay will have blow back with precedence of failure to comply. 

• Like 2

I think you are over reacting to my post. My wait and see was in reference to Ed not being able to comment further at this time, and I wasn't implying anything.

Yes, in all probability, this project is toast.

Or...he might be trying to work out a licensing agreement...

Personally I think there were way too many comments about this project on this forum over the years. It's no wonder the big "N" caught wind of it.

3 hours ago, cybercylon said:

I think you are over reacting to my post. My wait and see was in reference to Ed not being able to comment further at this time, and I wasn't implying anything.

Yes, in all probability, this project is toast.

4 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Personally I think there were way too many comments about this project on this forum over the years. It's no wonder the big "N" caught wind of it.

They just wait until your done or almost done to contact you.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jblenkle said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that ain't happening.  He can try, but it will be a fruitless endevour. Its best to just leave this project in the past and move on to something that doesn't rely on existing IP.  Anyways, with how long this project has been in dev who knows if it was ever going to come out, even if Nintendo never stepped in.

Edited by SegaSnatcher

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jblenkle said:

A) sales totals would not be anywhere near high enough for the big N to give a crap, their "cut" wouldn't be high enough to cover their legal fees

B) They won't even allow free non-profit projects to maturity so...

C) Now that they have officially commented, Opcode likely can't even officially release it for free if he wanted

Edited by Loafer

A few more...  I kind remember hating the colors in Crazy Kong.

How about Opcode Kong!  Or for us MA people Big Dig   In honor of the worlds longest car wash!

Lord, Crazy Kong. There was a stationary that had that bootleg cabinet I remember asking if their Donkey Kong was broken with it making such silly sounds.

On 6/26/2019 at 3:59 PM, phattyboombatty said:

Put a paper bag-style sleeve over it and call it Monkey King Special Edition. 

reveal dianaprince GIF by DC Comics

Guys, let’s stop discussing this publicly. The game is the the vault, safe. We live to fight another day. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, opcode said:

Guys, let’s stop discussing this publicly. The game is the the vault, safe. We live to fight another day. 

Is there anything on the Omni front you can update us on to help counteract this bad news?

Release the ROM then. No way then can stop that - it's only monetizing it that would cause them to take issue (selling a cart with their IP). Esp. since it's a ROM of an existing Coleco game. 

Everyone who purchased the SGM did it for DK, and you've already put a ton of work in. So release the ROM so we can play the game, you don't have any problem with big N, and all of us who have supported the system get to play. I'll happily "donate" for access to the ROM. But if it's as close to finished as you say, and you can't sell it, might as well release it for all your customers to play. 

I'll continue to support you and you products. And I know this has been a high-profile release for the people who have supported you. But there ARE ways to get the game out to us without a full cart release. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2019 at 11:05 AM, opcode said:

One word.... Nintendo... Checking options.  

On 6/26/2019 at 5:50 PM, opcode said:

No further public comments. Newsletter. Let’s wait for the dust to settle and see. 

On 6/29/2019 at 1:10 PM, opcode said:

34 minutes ago, Albert Penello said:

Release the ROM then. No way then can stop that - it's only monetizing it that would cause them to take issue (selling a cart with their IP). Esp. since it's a ROM of an existing Coleco game. 

Everyone who purchased the SGM did it for DK, and you've already put a ton of work in. So release the ROM so we can play the game, you don't have any problem with big N, and all of us who have supported the system get to play. I'll happily "donate" for access to the ROM. But if it's as close to finished as you say, and you can't sell it, might as well release it for all your customers to play. 

I'll continue to support you and you products. And I know this has been a high-profile release for the people who have supported you. But there ARE ways to get the game out to us without a full cart release. 

Seriously?  Did you not see the previous posts?  PM the man if you have suggestions but for now lets let sleeping dogs lie. 

• Like 1

I am well aware that a lot of people got the SGM for a certain game and have been patiently waiting for it. I will find a way to fulfill the promise, just let’s keep it low key from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

It wasn’t my decision. You aren’t helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Confused 1