opcode

Donkey Kong Arcade (ColecoVision)

I could be led to believe that the OM was a "commercial" failure and not worth investing anymore. On the other hand I probably wouldn't start manufacturing OM if I don't get a 100 units minimum pre-order...

I'm pretty sure the OM will have huge success, I really like the concept/idea and I'm sure you'll have at least 100 orders for...

It'll offer so much new features for the fans and homebrewers too

Anyway, I'm up for one ;)

Well, as Eduardo himself said, let's just see how he feels about it after DK is completely done.

That's right, lets see what happens after DK is done.

Indeed. After all, you're certainly not out of the woods yet, where DK is concerned: There's the sprite driver (could be slightly more challenging than expected), the opening and victory animations (not really difficult to do, but tedious) and of course, there's also the sound output (not a biggie, but could be tedious nonetheless).

If you ever decide to tranform Donkey Kong Arcade into Donkey Kong Collection, Eduardo, let me know, and I'll gladly put everything else aside and help you with the graphics. But please don't feel pressured. If you don't feel like doing it, then let's all forget about it.

Your help would be very welcome. :D

You know, I am starting to believe that there is a genuine interest for DKJr.

Of all the options you have for adding extra stuff in DKA, DK Jr is probably the most "prestigious". All the other options are really unofficial fan-made levels, many of which would be loads of fun to play, but still, DK Jr stands above them all, from my point of view at least.

But here is how I see things:

First the cons:

- It would take longer to finish the games, maybe an extra year, I dunno

- That would delay not only the game itself but the OM too

- Both games are already available for the CV, and I know some people would prefer something new. I decided to port DK because I think it's one of the 3 most influential arcade games ever, Pac-Man and Space Invaders being the other two. DKjr, probably not so much.

- Twice the work...

- Twice the chance to get sued... :)

The pros:

- Two games for the price of one

- Something like Pixelboy described above, mixing both games in a special mode, would be fairly easy to implement.

- The original CV version isn't... well... that great (there, I said it. Don't hate me) :)

- "Hideout" stage missing in the original CV version

- When the OM is released you get two arcade ports in day one.

There's another con you may not have thought about: There would be a lot of flicker. Junior himself would flicker most of the time, even when there are no other enemies on the same scanlines. :)

Now, back on-topic, I was play testing DK and found a problem with the elevator stage. Since Pauline’s platform is placed lower in the CV version, I always get hit by the springs while I am climbing the final ladder. The problem is that springs are still jumping as high as before, but I don’t think I can change that since the spring should be able to jump over Mario without hitting him.

Would it help to have all the springs always jump along the same spots, in a way where they would always land at the bottom of the final ladder, without hitting Mario if he's at least half-way up the ladder already? If would be a step away from the arcade game, but I doubt many people would notice... Otherwise, make the springs come out at longer intervals, to give Mario the chance to reach and climb the final ladder. You could also make the springs come out at varying intervals: Three springs come out at regular intervals, then there would be a small time gap before the next group of three come out. That could work...

I could be led to believe that the OM was a "commercial" failure and not worth investing anymore. On the other hand I probably wouldn't start manufacturing OM if I don't get a 100 units minimum pre-order...

I'm pretty sure the OM will have huge success, I really like the concept/idea and I'm sure you'll have at least 100 orders for...

It'll offer so much new features for the fans and homebrewers too

Anyway, I'm up for one ;)

I am looking forward to this more than any other upcoming hardware offering both modern and classic. I will be there when the pre orders begin ;) I would rather the OM and DKA are released sooner rather than wait for DKJ.

Edited by rga321

I agree that I would rather see the OM and DKA relaesed sooner, rather than wait to have DKJ developed.

Hi Eduardo, I've been watching on the sidelines and it's looking friggin amazing.

Comments, please... No hardcore DK players here?

I consider myself a pretty "hardcore" player of it I guess (don't laugh :lol:) but that being said, it's hard for me to tell how close the gameplay is from the videos without playing it, aside from thinking that it looks generally perfect as always. I'd need to play stage 2 & 3 of the barrel stages amongst other things, but if you're doing the same thing you always do and adapting the actual arcade code, I'm sure it's fine :D

One thing I didn't see mentioned here but I assume you got it covered is.. Will we be able to choose from the Jap & US versions? Also will we have the option for the earlier code where you could stop barrels from descending if you were at the top of the ladder? Forget about DK Jr., DK3, and the extra DK levels. It would just be awesome to have the best version of DK possible. :cool: And of course, the various flavors of it (if it could be done). :D

Edited by NE146

I have some good news: DK Arcade is fully playable now, including a preliminary sprite driver with flickering management.

Still missing are all the intermissions and sound. High score registration isn't shown but is already implemented too. And of course the sprite driver is preliminary, just something I put together in a couple of hours to test the game. Final driver will be much more optimized in terms of flickering. As it is now the driver can support only 4 objects (8 sprites) in the same scanline, and it doesn't handle optimally an even number of objects.

I hope to have some footage of the game running on a real CV later today. For now, enjoy. BTW, I will release a playable demo as soon as I test the game with the latest public version of BlueMSX.

Eduardo

I have some good news: DK Arcade is fully playable now, including a preliminary sprite driver with flickering management.

Still missing are all the intermissions and sound. High score registration isn't shown but is already implemented too. And of course the sprite driver is preliminary, just something I put together in a couple of hours to test the game. Final driver will be much more optimized in terms of flickering. As it is now the driver can support only 4 objects (8 sprites) in the same scanline, and it doesn't handle optimally an even number of objects.

I hope to have some footage of the game running on a real CV later today. For now, enjoy. BTW, I will release a playable demo as soon as I test the game with the latest public version of BlueMSX.

Eduardo

Will the playable demo be loadable on the 128-1 Multi-cart?

Eduardo

Will the playable demo be loadable on the 128-1 Multi-cart?

Nop. It requires the OM. However I believe BlueMSX is already emulating it.

Eduardo

Lookin' good, Eduardo! :D

Mr. Mello,

You are AWESOME. WOW. I know the original CV cart was a "rush job", but I can only imagine had it been done this way!!!!

:claps:
Edited by ScottHuggins

Mr. Mello,

You are AWESOME. WOW. I know the original CV cart was a "rush job", but I can only imagine had it been done this way!!!!

We just need to find a DeLorean... :)

Seriously, I am playing it right now with my wife on our ColecoVision. There is something mind blowing about it, not because I made it, it has nothing to do with that, but because there seems to be a sort of special connection between the CV and DK, I don't know. I can tell you, I getting more satisfaction from this game than I ever had with PMC. And it is funny that I hadn't felt like that until today, playing the game for the first time on a real CV. It's just a wonderful experience, I am very happy.

BTW, surprisingly the game run flawless, not a single glitch, absolutely arcade smooth...

Mr. Mello,

Seriously, I am playing it right now with my wife on our ColecoVision. There is something mind blowing about it, not because I made it, it has nothing to do with that, but because there seems to be a sort of special connection between the CV and DK, I don't know. I can tell you, I getting more satisfaction from this game than I ever had with PMC. And it is funny that I hadn't felt like that until today, playing the game for the first time on a real CV. It's just a wonderful experience, I am very happy.

BTW, surprisingly the game run flawless, not a single glitch, absolutely arcade smooth...

Even the elusive Mario death sequence? ;)

This is a great time to be a ColecoVision fan, let me tell you. So what's next on your list, Eduardo? The intermission animations? :)

Seriously, I am playing it right now with my wife on our ColecoVision.

Eduardo,

Just out of curiosity, I know the game isn't designed to play on a stock ColecoVision, so I'm curious as to what you're playing it on? I know you've been working on the OCM, does this mean you have a prototype up and running? Or is this still an early enough version to play on a stock CV? I love the idea of the OCM, but the things you've done with a stock CV still give me goosebumps! lol

Either way, you're still on my short list of heroes! :)

Just out of curiosity, I know the game isn't designed to play on a stock ColecoVision, so I'm curious as to what you're playing it on?

OM prototype... :)

Anyway, it is just some extra RAM, nothing too fancy...

post-1432-1247932017_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1247932027_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1247932039_thumb.jpg

What can I do, I am a good DK player. Next time I will make sure I loose a life on purpose... :P

This is a great time to be a ColecoVision fan, let me tell you. So what's next on your list, Eduardo? The intermission animations? :)

Yep, probably end of stage, then end of level, then perhaps sound. The arcade uses a 8035 CPU for sound, so I will need to disassembly the code and translate it. But that is just about half of all sounds. The other half is analog and I will need to use a process similar to SIC, very tedious...

BTW, I started doing some optimization in the sprite driver code yesterday. I saved about 1500(!!) CPU cycles sending all Mario sprites to VRAM during VBlank, when data can be sent in burst mode. It is still possible to save another 500 cycles but that would requires some ROM space. Anyway, 1500 cycles/frame is about 3% of CPU utilization.

What can I do, I am a good DK player. Next time I will make sure I loose a life on purpose... :P

Yep, probably end of stage, then end of level, then perhaps sound. The arcade uses a 8035 CPU for sound, so I will need to disassembly the code and translate it. But that is just about half of all sounds. The other half is analog and I will need to use a process similar to SIC, very tedious...

BTW, I started doing some optimization in the sprite driver code yesterday. I saved about 1500(!!) CPU cycles sending all Mario sprites to VRAM during VBlank, when data can be sent in burst mode. It is still possible to save another 500 cycles but that would requires some ROM space. Anyway, 1500 cycles/frame is about 3% of CPU utilization.

Man, that OM is freaking huge. Is it necessary to make it so large?

Man, that OM is freaking huge. Is it necessary to make it so large?

No, it's just an off-the-shelf project box I bought long ago. The final module shouldn't be larger than the EM#1.

No hardcore DK players here?

I was a hardcore player back when the game first came out, of course King of Kong got me back into playing it daily there for a while. I've downloaded different versions of the game where the levels aren't in "order". I always liked the original arcade levels, Barrels-Rivets....Barrels-Elevators-Rivets...etc. On the latest Youtube video, assuming you just had the screens as Barrels-Conveyor Belts-Elevators-Rivets just to show all the screens? Will they be in "correct" order like the arcade?

Here's my highest score on Mame. I played DK at a bar last week, could only get 96,000, I thought I'd be better on a "real" arcade game with an actual joystick, perhaps not! Sad thing about this score, 267,900, I had over 200K without losing a life!

post-2353-1247940236_thumb.png

Sorry, what a jerk, I completely forgot to give Opcode kudos...everything looks amazing so far. This DK looks incredible, Eduardo, simply amazing!!!

Edited by acelkin

Actually I am using the original Japanese version as the base for the port, so that is why stages are in the Barrels-Conveyor Belts-Elevators-Rivets sequence. US version will be added later, including changes in the barrels stage.

No hardcore DK players here?

I was a hardcore player back when the game first came out, of course King of Kong got me back into playing it daily there for a while. I've downloaded different versions of the game where the levels aren't in "order". I always liked the original arcade levels, Barrels-Rivets....Barrels-Elevators-Rivets...etc. On the latest Youtube video, assuming you just had the screens as Barrels-Conveyor Belts-Elevators-Rivets just to show all the screens? Will they be in "correct" order like the arcade?

Here's my highest score on Mame. I played DK at a bar last week, could only get 96,000, I thought I'd be better on a "real" arcade game with an actual joystick, perhaps not! Sad thing about this score, 267,900, I had over 200K without losing a life!

post-2353-1247940236_thumb.png

That IS the original arcade order :P The U.S. one changed it up.

That being said, I prefer the US version now myself.. it has a little more variety :)

Hi,

Sorry if the question has already been asked, but i'm on vacation somewhere in the world and i have a very limited internet access so i can not spend lot of time reading details. But i could not resist to post here being a great donkey kong fan and also colecovision coder. (you should heard about my game very soon...;) )

Why do you need OM for a Donkey kong? If i read well you said your OM prototype add just more RAM to the CV.

I don't think more ram is really needed for this project. More ROM may be , but 1k of RAM should be enough.

At least in case of a total rewrite of the code. If you use the original arcade code it could explain.