opcode

Donkey Kong Arcade (ColecoVision)

Will the playable demo be loadable on the 128-1 Multi-cart?

Nop. It requires the OM. However I believe BlueMSX is already emulating it.

OK... I think the game looks pretty good so far. But I wonder what it needs the OM for... the gameplay doesn't seem to have so many variables that 1k RAM wouldn't be enough. Or does it store something else that needs more RAM... tables, maybe?

The high score table alone is almost 200 bytes long. Barrels use more than 300 bytes, fires need 160 bytes, the sprite attribute table is 512 bytes and so on. It isn't a matter of how you would like to implement the game, it's how the game does work. If you don't do that you don't get arcade faithfulness.

It is difficult to describe just how impressive this version looks so far.

I remember the Super Game version (what was shown of it back then). I was not impressed at all; all of the flaws of the original were still there. It would not have been worth the purchase.

But yours is something else. It is what the SG version SHOULD have been.

One thing I did not like about other versions was the 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 way the screens were presented. At least the CV version, esp. with DKJr., got the sequence right. Yours I assume will present the screens in proper order? (Dumb question- of course it will...)

There is one thing I'm wondering- will regular CV games be playable with that module?

One thing I did not like about other versions was the 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 way the screens were presented. At least the CV version, esp. with DKJr., got the sequence right. Yours I assume will present the screens in proper order? (Dumb question- of course it will...)

I'm fairly certain Eduardo will include an options screen (like in Pac-Man Collection) which will let you select between the japanese an american level orders, among other things. :)

The high score table alone is almost 200 bytes long. Barrels use more than 300 bytes, fires need 160 bytes, the sprite attribute table is 512 bytes and so on. It isn't a matter of how you would like to implement the game, it's how the game does work. If you don't do that you don't get arcade faithfulness.

Ok for arcade faithfulness , but i'm not sure the High score table is necessary on the coleco version. Just one high score should be enough. The table make sense in arcade where the cab stays power on all the day and tge table also encourage player to put money in to beat their friends.. but on a console where highscore are not persisted, i don't think a score table is necessary.

for the barrel and the fire i would be curious to know why it needs so much ram. I thought barrel and fire were followed predefined patterns. In that case the pattern would be in ROM.

from my point of view,if you really want arcade faithfulness, play on the real PCB or with MAME nowaday it is very easy. It is very interresting to see how faithfull can be ported donkey kong on the CV but using the stantard machine , not using hardware extension.

Anyway i find what you do fantastic.

Ok for arcade faithfulness , but i'm not sure the High score table is necessary on the coleco version. Just one high score should be enough. The table make sense in arcade where the cab stays power on all the day and tge table also encourage player to put money in to beat their friends.. but on a console where highscore are not persisted, i don't think a score table is necessary.

With the OM score table is persistent.

for the barrel and the fire i would be curious to know why it needs so much ram. I thought barrel and fire were followed predefined patterns. In that case the pattern would be in ROM.

Attributes, timers, table indexes and so on...

from my point of view,if you really want arcade faithfulness, play on the real PCB or with MAME nowaday it is very easy. It is very interresting to see how faithfull can be ported donkey kong on the CV but using the stantard machine , not using hardware extension.

I beg to differ. But you are always entitled to do your own version... Or play MAME. :)

I still don't get why you can't put the extra RAM into the cartridge itself and forget about this expansion stuff. I hate expansion units with a fiery passion; likely the result of traumatic experiences with the 32X and Sega CD.

Maybe I can answer that- his module does more than just add RAM- it adds other abilities to the CV, such as the use of analog controllers (a CV has nothing for paddle controllers like a 2600).

Cost is probably another factor. It is easier and less expensive to have a module give added abilities to a console, rather than put them into each and every additional cartridge, especially as the needed enhancements would vary from game to game.

I still don't get why you can't put the extra RAM into the cartridge itself and forget about this expansion stuff. I hate expansion units with a fiery passion; likely the result of traumatic experiences with the 32X and Sega CD.

The necessary lines aren't available to the cartridge port, and no space inside the cartridge, unless a new jumbo case was created.

What is the big deal with expansions? If the price is right and it has some nice games, what is the difference? From an user point-of-view I just don't get it. It's all plug&play, no modifications required.

About the 32X and Sega CD, why were you playing Sega in the first place? :)

Can you plug in normal CV cartridges into the module, and will they work normally?

Yep, with possible benefits... ;)

Well, that's a huge plus- that means you don't have to plug and unplug such an accessory every time you want a game of Ladybug or Space Panic. That means a lot less wear and tear on the works.

Opcode by this do you mean power can be turned off to the CV, turn it on the next day and the high scores will still be on there?

Edited by yurkie

Opcode by this do you mean power can be turned off to the CV, turn it on the next day and the high scores will still be on there?

Yes, correct. The OM has quite a bit of flash memory, so stuff can be saved. For instance, when King's Valley is released, it will include a screen editor allowing new stages to be created and saved.

Yes, correct. The OM has quite a bit of flash memory, so stuff can be saved. For instance, when King's Valley is released, it will include a screen editor allowing new stages to be created and saved.

Any chance of getting a King's Valley screenshot and a basic description of game play and goal?

Any chance of getting a King's Valley screenshot and a basic description of game play and goal?

A long, long time ago...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=570729

A long, long time ago...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=570729

Or you can just go here. :)

Thanks Luc. I went to the home page and didn't see it listed, prior to asking. Sorry for getting off topic, I got excited.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

Coming back on the expension module dicussion.

I share also point of view of others people here. the OM module would be fantastic for the colecovision back in time.

But nowadays, i don't see real interrest. (except the technical challenge and the joy to create something new for the coleco).

I read some time ago, that you OM module could add more resolution, more color, more screenmode, more ram..etc..etc..

some screen mode would be similar to what we have on a sega master system and even megadrive.

that's great. But nowadays you can have a sms or a mega drive for very few bucks (about 20-25usd) and tons of games for almost nothing. Your module will more or less allow to have game similar to Sega Master System on a coleco.

what i like in the Colecovision it is that it is a colecovision and it is limited!. What i like when i program for the coleco, is the limit of the machine (even if sometimes it is painfull) , try to do the best i can with the limited resources , try to have the feeling to be in 1982 writing game for my beloved console!

i think the coleco has enough power to produce really good game without having to be expanded.

Don't get me wrong, i don't try to discourage you to produce your OM module. I just share my feeling about retro coding. :)

You are relentless...

The specs for the OM changed many times, and it is now basically just a bunch of extra memory, so to keep costs down.

While everyone here is entitled to an opinion, in this case I beg to differ. Coleco made a bad decision saving a few bucks on memory. 1KB just isn't enough, even for the time. I believe they realized that not long after the console was released, otherwise they wouldn't have come with the Super Game Module or ADAM.

About the OM, your opinion has been noted. At this point my only recommendation is that if you don't like it, don't buy it. Stay in 1982...

Coming back on the expension module dicussion.

I share also point of view of others people here. the OM module would be fantastic for the colecovision back in time.

But nowadays, i don't see real interrest. (except the technical challenge and the joy to create something new for the coleco).

I read some time ago, that you OM module could add more resolution, more color, more screenmode, more ram..etc..etc..

some screen mode would be similar to what we have on a sega master system and even megadrive.

that's great. But nowadays you can have a sms or a mega drive for very few bucks (about 20-25usd) and tons of games for almost nothing. Your module will more or less allow to have game similar to Sega Master System on a coleco.

what i like in the Colecovision it is that it is a colecovision and it is limited!. What i like when i program for the coleco, is the limit of the machine (even if sometimes it is painfull) , try to do the best i can with the limited resources , try to have the feeling to be in 1982 writing game for my beloved console!

i think the coleco has enough power to produce really good game without having to be expanded.

Don't get me wrong, i don't try to discourage you to produce your OM module. I just share my feeling about retro coding. :)

boy some of you guys are rubbin Eduardo the wrong way here. keep it up and there will be no module at all. and like he said, you don't like, it don't buy it!!!!!

You probably wouldn't like it if you had to use the tools around at that time. There would be no PC, no "C" compiler, a limited assembler that runs on a different host system, a linker if you were lucky, poor/limited documentation, and so on...

IMHO we should push the machines to beyond what they were thought capable of back in the day. If that means RAM/ROM expansion modules, co-processors, MMC/CF interfaces so be it. If the homebrew games make use of the new features (and the old games still work) its more fun for everybody.

The Module is a dream come true! :cool:

This involve so many works, I can't believe it is actually a real project

I really hope it'll look like the unrelease Super Game Module

Otherwise, I'll buy it anyway ;)

Would you provide infos for Homebrewer so we can use this Module for our future projects ?

Keep up the AMAZING WORKS Eduardo! :thumbsup:

The Module is a dream come true! :cool:

This involve so many works, I can't believe it is actually a real project

I really hope it'll look like the unrelease Super Game Module

Me too. Actually I found a company that offers plastic cases without a tool. Lets see if price is reasonable.

Otherwise, I'll buy it anyway ;)

Would you provide infos for Homebrewer so we can use this Module for our future projects ?

Actually developers will be entitled to participate on beta testing in a few months, so you guys could start to develop by that time.

Eduardo