IGNORED

My brother thinks atari is lame

4Ks

My older brother doesn't like Atari at all, because "It's graphics are extremely outdated, and all it's games are boring arcade ports that only stay fun for about 5 minutes."

To each their own.

However, many of the best 2600 games are not arcade ports. Pitfall, Kaboom, Adventure, Tunnel Runner (had to get that in ;) ), Fathom, HERO, Yar's Revenge, Combat, etc.etc. etc....

My older brother doesn't like Atari at all, because "It's graphics are extremely outdated, and all it's games are boring arcade ports that only stay fun for about 5 minutes."

How old is your brother? The problem is that I bet he can't play any 2600 game longer then 5 minuets with out getting killed so he's trying to cover up the fact that he is mad inside by saying its boring.

:?: :roll: :roll:

Well, gauging the maturity level, you could always reply with an equally mature "well, you're lame!". Then challenge him to a game you know without a doubt you can beat him at, and make fun of him for not even being able to win at a game that's so simple even a 2 1/2 yr old can play. If he says no they can't, just do a 'member search' and show them my daughter's sn here - Bean, or the sn - Juri who is Iwan's son who is only a lil older. Then laugh at him again and run so he doesn't beat the crap out of you. :D

My brother thinks atari is lame
Heh, life is full of co-incidences! I was talking to Atari, and it thinks your brother is lame!

Seriously, from his comments it sounds like your brother is the kind of guy who would turn his nose up at D&D, Sudoku, strategic board games, and various other alternative gaming experiences, in favour of the latest generic-but-pretty first person shooter.

Don't get frustrated or angry with people that shut themselves off from life's experiences through elitism; the attitude is its own punishment.

Learn from his mistakes, and be sure to never turn your nose up at someone else's hobby.

• Like 1

My atari-hating brother is 15, and he's not really too bad at the games (I'm still better than him, though :D). The kind of games he likes are those past the Genesis/Super Nintendo era.

My atari-hating brother is 15, and he's not really too bad at the games (I'm still better than him, though :D). The kind of games he likes are those past the Genesis/Super Nintendo era.

Here is a good comeback if he starts spouting off. "See this thumb? That is all I need to play the Atari 2600. Oh, and by the way that's all (Insert name of girl your brother is dating or has a crush on.) needs to play you as well!

If one is secure and truly loves what they're into,what others say shouldnt bother them at all.So who cares what others say.I go to this game shop where they sell INTV,CV,2600,7800 games.Theres always these kids there that look at me funny,like they're saying"why the hell are you buying those for,but not always.Most kids I've seen are pretty respectfull towards "our "generation of classic gaming",so they're not that bad really,in my experiences anyway.

Edited by Rik

Here is a good comeback if he starts spouting off. "See this thumb? That is all I need to play the Atari 2600. Oh, and by the way that's all (Insert name of girl your brother is dating or has a crush on.) needs to play you as well!

Well i am 16 and i love atari...i have a ps3 and 360 and would still rather play atari...but people are entitled to their own opinion i guess. So i disagree with your brother but whatever

Well most young minds are polluted with the influence of modern games and think graphics are the only important thing about a game. I am a young gamer and choose not to be under the influence of modern games. I don't even have a console of this generation. I even have an original trapezoid shaped DS and none of that stupid extremely bright, blinding, battery draining screen. Besides, you can't set up dominoes with a bunch of CDs now can ya?

The way I look at is to compare vintage consoles/computers with vintage cars.

Sure you can get the latest Ford and it is ok...but it has no style all of it's own and there are a million identical looking and handling cars out their. Now compare that with a lovely vintage car and whatever its outright performance may be it has a style and character that driving it is unique. So people who just say the VCS stuff is childish and lame etc are just showing they have zero intelligence or experience on the subject. Clearly there ARE some bad vintage games just as there were some truly dire vintage cars BUT that's not the point even today their are really expensive Xbox360/PS3/Wii/PC games that cost a fortune and yet I either complete them in one sitting too (Colin McRae DIRT) or I just get bored with it after an hour or two and put it on the shelf for good.

I love my (good) VCS games AND I love my (good) PS3 games. I don't like crap games on any system be it 1978 or 2008 makes no difference...shiny graphics <> fun!

Sampling some effect for a PS3/360 game is simple....but sitting there and designing classic sound effects and programming them for something like Star Raiders is a real talent too :)

Typical...but to really appreciate Atari, you need to have an IMAGINATION!! Since games "back then" were "graphically challenged", you needed to support the game with a good imagination. It makes the games that much more appealing when you visualize grander things in your head. That's the problem today...the games are SOOO lifelike that you don't need to use your brain for anything regarding the game....and that includes strategy! :D

But seriously, though...I have a few "modern" games for my PC (like 2005/2006 modern) and they have the flashy graphics. They wow me, to be sure, but it's fluff stuff. Atari games are simple to play, easy to pick up, and easy to put away again since you normally won't spend hours on them (I said normally, some of your around here DO spend hours on them!). Great for a quick game before work/school, before dinner, or right before bedtime.

-Steve

Well most young minds are polluted with the influence of modern games and think graphics are the only important thing about a game. I am a young gamer and choose not to be under the influence of modern games. I don't even have a console of this generation. I even have an original trapezoid shaped DS and none of that stupid extremely bright, blinding, battery draining screen. Besides, you can't set up dominoes with a bunch of CDs now can ya?

It's people like you that make me never want to come to old school forums. I love my old school games, I appreciate their primative and simple gameplay. But I also like complex, modern games like COD and Fallout 3. When you are calling out the DS lite because the screen is apparently sooooo bright that it blinds your eyes, it makes you look like you have your head up your ass aout anything thats not old school.

I like Atari 2600 because when I want to have fun I just have to turn it on and get instant action. I have the feeling that modern games aren't like this anymore. And it's impossible deny that the better graphics have enormous influence when comparing modern games to vintage, specially if the person growth using only the modern ones.