IGNORED

is there a 2600 "holy grail"?

xg4bx

meaning is there a rumored game or prototype out there thats extremely sought after but so far nobody has found?

There is Swordquest Airworld

Also the box to Air Raid by Menavision.

These are prabably the most sought after. there is also Space Chase monogrammed

I think the boys at the www.atarimuseum.com have a mind link headset (Maybe?).

Yup, they do. I've personally seen it when they brought a bunch of stuff to OVGE one year to show off. Pretty damn cool.

Air Raid with the box I'd say would be one of the hardest to come by, with maybe Pepsi Invaders up there as well.

How about a 2600 DEV unit?i had one right in front of me 2 summers ago,at the thrift shop.I was in my "infancy"

stage if you will at collecting,had no idea what it was.I thought it was crude mod done by a do it yourselfer until i mentioned it here at AA.Ran back to get it,just 20 minutes later,and it was GOOOOOOOOONE! :(

Edited by Rik

How about a 2600 DEV unit?i had one right in front of me 2 summers ago,at the thrift shop.I was in my "infancy"

stage if you will at collecting,had no idea what it was.I thought it was crude mod done by a do it yourselfer until i mentioned it here at AA.Ran back to get it,just 20 minutes later,and it was GOOOOOOOOONE! :(

I have a proper one of those. Did it look like this?

2600_developer_board.jpg

I have a proper one of those. Did it look like this?

how do you have so much cool stuff? did you work for atari at some point or are you just a thorough and hardcore collector?

I would say that Zookeeper is the holy grail. Airworld was barely started so no loaner carts were made. Tod did test his alpha builds on the development boxes but it never made it to cart form.

Dutchman- I noticed you're "Sifting through items in a Chicago basement......" When are you giving up the Hulk proto and dumping it? :) :D I believe that is a holy grail.

any reason why this thread is only open to software only....i am sure that there are hardware proto's for the vcs like the RC vcs atari did way back when...or the vcs keyboard that a commodore spin off company 'peripheral by design' created

i am sure there are others

So, this begs the question, does something have to be extremely rare to be considered a 'holy grail' item? For example, when I sell Heavy Sixer systems on ebay, I often promote them as the 'holy grail' of video game systems. IMHO they are, but they certainly are not rare. You can find 8 of them on ebay right now, and a few more in the ebay stores.

One might argue that if you found one sealed in its original box, then it might be considered a 'holy grail' item. But if we're just talking systems alone, I'd put it #1 on the list (Atari followed closely by Sears model).

So, this begs the question, does something have to be extremely rare to be considered a 'holy grail' item? For example, when I sell Heavy Sixer systems on ebay, I often promote them as the 'holy grail' of video game systems. IMHO they are, but they certainly are not rare. You can find 8 of them on ebay right now, and a few more in the ebay stores.

One might argue that if you found one sealed in its original box, then it might be considered a 'holy grail' item. But if we're just talking systems alone, I'd put it #1 on the list (Atari followed closely by Sears model).

you might rather call it the "holy classic" .... i think the Bit60 is rather a holy grail (its a homevision computer that also plays atari 2600 games)

does anyone have this one ... ???