IGNORED

Raiden

etschuetz

I just got this on eBay complete and mint for under $15 shipped, patience is a virtue :) Anyway, good game! The graphics and sound certainly don't take advantage of the Jag hardware at all. Granted there is no slowdown or flicker. Thankfully, the game play is excellent. I enjoy chasing down the red (or blue) weapon upgrades as well as the M (missile) or H (homing missile) to really watch the jag throw around the sprites. The only gripe I have with the game is the bosses, which I struggle with avoiding there attack patterns (way to many bullets), and the fact that all of the bullets are tiny yellow dots which are sometimes hard to see. Second, the fact that enemies occasionally come from the bottom of the screen, annoying. Neither of these is the Jag's fault. Overall, a solid Jag game.

This was one of the first Jag games released and was possibly originally planned for the 32 bit Panther and ported to the Jag. Probably also the developers of the game didn't go overboard with maxing out the games graphics with the Jags power is because they knew the Jag market was going to be very small and the game wouldn't sell that well regardless, so they put as little time into the game as possible just to get it out there for sale. Just my guess. :P Usually the enemies that come from the bottom of the screen are ones you didn't kill that came from the top. ;) Those big green enemy ships do that, come back for you if you don't blow em away first. The game gets more fun the better you get at it. Pretty frustrating at first since it's a difficult game.

I just got this on eBay complete and mint for under $15 shipped, patience is a virtue :) Anyway, good game! The graphics and sound certainly don't take advantage of the Jag hardware at all. Granted there is no slowdown or flicker. Thankfully, the game play is excellent. I enjoy chasing down the red (or blue) weapon upgrades as well as the M (missile) or H (homing missile) to really watch the jag throw around the sprites. The only gripe I have with the game is the bosses, which I struggle with avoiding there attack patterns (way to many bullets), and the fact that all of the bullets are tiny yellow dots which are sometimes hard to see. Second, the fact that enemies occasionally come from the bottom of the screen, annoying. Neither of these is the Jag's fault. Overall, a solid Jag game.

I need to find myself a copy of this game . . . it looks really good!!! It reminds me of game I use to play in the arcades about 15 years ago . . . honestly it could be the same game, its been so long and I was so young back then that I honestly don't have any recollection if this is the same game or not . . . :? :? :?

-Disjaukifa

I'm selling a CIB copy of Raiden on ebay right now and it ends later today. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Raiden-Atari-Jaguar-Complete-In-Box-CIB-Nice_W0QQitemZ310171867513QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item4837af1979

Raiden was one of the few games I ever beat on the Jag. I thought it was pretty darn good, although I didn't like the giant status bar that fills up a quarter of the screen.

Tempest

People talk about that a lot - the status bar. Being a vertically oriented game, they should have just utilised black bars on each side of the screen with the scoring details and such on each side for each respective player - IMO.

Raiden was one of the few games I ever beat on the Jag. I thought it was pretty darn good, although I didn't like the giant status bar that fills up a quarter of the screen.

Tempest

People talk about that a lot - the status bar. Being a vertically oriented game, they should have just utilised black bars on each side of the screen with the scoring details and such on each side for each respective player - IMO.

The side junk doesn't bother me, as noted above, it's a vertical shooter. When enemies are on the side of the screen, they don't shoot at you. Opening that up would have made the game a whole lot harder. I wouldn't have minded black bars on each side, to at least put the action in the center of the screen. Still though, the giant status bar disappears as you get sucked into the game (not literally of course).

To me it reminded me of those old ST and 8-bit games where they hid the fact that they couldn't animate a whole screen by filling up half the screen with status bars and other static graphics. Obviously this wasn't the case with the Jag, but it didn't look good.

Tempest