IGNORED

Predictions on the PSP Go

Okay, did a little reading on the PSP Go and PSP 3000. My predictions? PSP 3000 will continue to sell well, along with the DSi and DS Lite. However, the PSP Go will only get a niche market...perhaps more of the crowd, like myself, that have not adopted the PSP platform yet. Why do I feel the PSP Go will falter? NO UMD! What the F**K? I like the idea of a completely digital market, over having actual physical media. I do that on my DS Lite thanks to the R4DS flash cart. The PSP Go, however has a big problem...$249 price tag in the US and Europe. Wow!

If we flash back to the beginning of the Portable Gaming era with the Game Boy vs Lynx vs Tubro Express vs Game Gear, we see something. We should learn something. The Game Boy won the hearts of millions not because of a robust hardware design. It didn't win because of compatibility with the home console system. It didn't win because of colors. It also didn't win because it was the biggest system. It won because it was inexpensive! That same issue is playing out now.

The DS line has a huge plus for it in the way it caters to EVERY kind of gamer. It offers true gaming experiences with the traditional sense. It offers casual gaming experiences. It offers games of EVERY genre. It offers a lot in the line of portable funtionality with the help of the homebrew scene as well. The PSP is designed for the hardcore gamer. Nothing passe here. No casual titles really. The iPhone/iPod Touch are more for the casual gamer. Sure, it has some arguably good games, but it is more for the casual gamer.

Among those three I mentioned, the DS is the cheapest, even in its DSi form, it is still the cheapest. The The iPod touch is a little more expensive at the comparable 16gb memory to the PSP Go, a difference of around 30 or so dollars.

What sets each apart in its appeal? DS line has Touch features and Dual Screens. PSP line has a huge screen (no touch), Analog Control, and the Sony name brand. The iPod Touch/iPhone has the accelerometer, vibrant touch sensitive screen, along with the best MP3/AAC play back of them all (DSi doesn't have MP3 support).

It will boil down to what you want, how much you want it for, and if you have the money for it to begin with.

Me, I like the DS line more. I wouldn't mind getting a PSP Go when they are available, but not at 250 bux...unless I have money to burn.

I don't see it selling. I have a PSP 2000 that I hacked for emulators. My kids have DS's and all their friends have them. The reasons: price, more family (kid) friendly games, and the chat feature.

They still have not hacked the 3000, so the same will probably be for the PSP Go. The only thing the PSP Go will have is enough memory for internet use.

It'll sell like boiling shit to the rich and famous. :lol: I don't see it selling well at all, after all, it offers literally nothing at all that the other iterations of the PSP can't already do, I mean, maybe it's got custom firmware that will act as a DRM type of thing, but honestly, give me a big ass memory card and a regualr PSP, and I'm good.

I got a bricked PSP, and I'm not you know, what's that word? Oh yeah, Smart, so I can't fix it :( The other, is used exclusively as an MP3 player (only cause I don't want to brick it trying to make it run movies off the memory card) so for me, the DS with it's cardtridge accessories is the far better deal, even with buying all the extra crap, I still paid $50 less for my DS than I did for my PSP, and it does so much more, without having to fug with any firmware or any bullshit like that. Give me the GBA Movie Player, a DS Max Media Dock, and a DSLite, and it's all good there.

The go, it's really a step in the wrong direction. Here's a hint "consoles are supposed to go down in price with age, even new revisions, not up" Sony will learn the hard way when they release it and it falls on it's ass though. Honestly, they took out the drive, what the hell is costing so much? The slider? get rid of that POS and give me a flip to protect the overly large screen.

Anyhow, Netbooks win over all, serioulsy, if your going to go up in price, just get an Acer Aspire one, it's only $50 more than the Go, and will run that thing into the ground in every respect (except battery life) Pluss I can play PSP and DS on there too I'm sure :P

It'll sell like boiling shit to the rich and famous. :lol: I don't see it selling well at all, after all, it offers literally nothing at all that the other iterations of the PSP can't already do, I mean, maybe it's got custom firmware that will act as a DRM type of thing, but honestly, give me a big ass memory card and a regualr PSP, and I'm good.

I got a bricked PSP, and I'm not you know, what's that word? Oh yeah, Smart, so I can't fix it :( The other, is used exclusively as an MP3 player (only cause I don't want to brick it trying to make it run movies off the memory card) so for me, the DS with it's cardtridge accessories is the far better deal, even with buying all the extra crap, I still paid $50 less for my DS than I did for my PSP, and it does so much more, without having to fug with any firmware or any bullshit like that. Give me the GBA Movie Player, a DS Max Media Dock, and a DSLite, and it's all good there.

The go, it's really a step in the wrong direction. Here's a hint "consoles are supposed to go down in price with age, even new revisions, not up" Sony will learn the hard way when they release it and it falls on it's ass though. Honestly, they took out the drive, what the hell is costing so much? The slider? get rid of that POS and give me a flip to protect the overly large screen.

Anyhow, Netbooks win over all, serioulsy, if your going to go up in price, just get an Acer Aspire one, it's only $50 more than the Go, and will run that thing into the ground in every respect (except battery life) Pluss I can play PSP and DS on there too I'm sure :P

If you wanna watch movies from Memory card without modding/hacking, I can hook you up with some software I purchased. It can convert DVD's to video files compatible with various electronic devices (no DS support right now). Just PM if you are interested. I can send you the key I purchased. The software website is www.slysoft.com

No surprise it doesn't support DS, it's some custom video format (unfortunately, the MMD kinda falls on the video playback, it looks good, but you can't so much as even pause it? WTF) so I use the GBAMovie player instead :lol: I suppose the PSP is supposed to read WMP files, just never got around to trying it (well, beyond the ohter system, which I screwed up...)

PM Sent.

I thought DS Lite sales have been waning since the DSi was released. I'd assume that would happen with the 3000 when the Go comes out, just like it did with the GB Micro when the DS was released. Never have I seen two handhelds by the same company co-exist without suffocating the other.

I thought DS Lite sales have been waning since the DSi was released. I'd assume that would happen with the 3000 when the Go comes out, just like it did with the GB Micro when the DS was released. Never have I seen two handhelds by the same company co-exist without suffocating the other.

Very true. It will happen, but I expect to see consumers move away from the PSP Go and stick with the PSP 3000. Why? The idea of no physical media for the games still concerns a LOT of gamers. Having a system that is practically exclusively downloadable content only may scare the faithful away. New comers that don't own a PSP at all, like myself, may find interest in it. It also depends on what else beyond just Sony Licensed products one can do with it. This is no Pandora, or GP32/GP2x. This is the Sony PSP Go, and Sony won't users just do whatever they want...just look at the need for Hacks on the standard PSP line. As for waning DS Lite sales, probably as the DSi offers new features that entice some consumers.

It'll flop and then Sony will put it on life support for years.

Oh, so it'll be just like the other PSPs, then.

The PSP is not on life support. It is a well supported and popular system. Yes, it is second to the DS juggernaut, but it is far from being a dead system. The PS3 however....that could end up being a possibility due to the rumors about Activision dropping support. They are one of the biggest developers out there. Possibly biggest. I can't recall who is considered bigger, Activision or EA. Regardless. PSP Go is a good concept, but not the right time when Sony is set to release the PSP 3000 series.

My first PSP was the phat. My favorite PSP is the Slim, followed closely by the phat.

Hey, Video, next time you come to OKC, shoot me a PM and bring that PSP brick with you. I can probably unbrick it. Oh, and yes, the PSP does play some Windows Media files. It plays wma with either a registry hack or by going online for a minute to activate it.

If its purpose is to check the pulse of digital distribution, and I'm sure it is, I hope it dies a horrible, burning death.

Even if it does happen that way, it'll just make anyone watching say "Well, I guess the market isn't ready for DD yet. Let's give it another three years..." This is another one of those ideas that's perpetually right around the corner, but is never practical/profitable/popular enough. While I'm sure it'll find its niche, I remember download-only content being hyped as far back as 1996, and physical media is now more popular then ever.

Odd thing is, the vast majority of people I discuss the matter with don't actually WANT this technology, they've just come to accept it because the media has repeated the story so often it's accepted as fact. I've gotten less than 5% to say they actually are looking forward to a day when they can't hold their purchase.

Not that I would wish ill will toward Sony, but.... well actually yes that's exactly what I hope to do here.

I hope it tanks, and quickly. Just to send a message to Sony specifically, but to the rest of the gaming industry as well.

Here's way: digital distribution is fine as a side-business on consoles. The way it's done on the Wii, DSi and the 360 are excellent examples of how it should be done. A side-business, in addition to selling games at retail on some form of physical media.

If I pay you $40 for a game, I expect $40 worth of stuff in return. Not a computer file that you can't (and likely won't) guarantee me will work 10, 20, 30, etc., years down the road.

nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. its simply aimed towards 2 different markets, the x000 series isn't going anywhere.

i'll buy one. i have no interest in hacking it and i cant stand those shitty 'lil umds.

give the psp credit. no other handheld in history has been able to stand against the nintendo juggernaut as long as the psp has. they look to finally be putting some effort into the system. once they start pushing it i think it'll increase in popularity instead of being sony's red headed stepchild.

yes, $250 is a chunk of change and a tad overpriced. but so is $170 for a shitty camera shoehorned into a ds. i already have a camera and apps on my phone so imo the dsi is useless.

I have my launch day model 1001. I skipped school to get it too. I am going to happily upgrade to the newest model, and I can only hope the firmwire is hacked quickly, as the only thing that makes the psp so enjoyable is it's "rombox" powers. I never used the UMD anyway, so I will skip school again, and get it launch day for sure.

I have my launch day model 1001. I skipped school to get it too. I am going to happily upgrade to the newest model, and I can only hope the firmwire is hacked quickly, as the only thing that makes the psp so enjoyable is it's "rombox" powers. I never used the UMD anyway, so I will skip school again, and get it launch day for sure.

youre not much of a gamer are you? try actually playing some psp games instead of pissing away money so you can hack the damn thing.

and skip school to boot. your parents must be so proud.

Maybe the faster cpu in the Go and the fact that it will have a new way of distributing software will cause some new games that only play on the new PSP to come out. Especially since it will be most likely cheaper to sell games for the Go it's possible it could end up with a better library and replacing the older UMD disc based PSP models. you got to admit, it's possible.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

youre not much of a gamer are you? try actually playing some psp games instead of pissing away money so you can hack the damn thing.

Nothing he said implies he doesn't play games on his PSP. Instead, it hints at him ripping his PSP games to the memory card for decreased loading times and improved battery life, and expanding his horizons by emulating other systems to play on his PSP. He's probably playing more games on it than you ever dreamed of and getting much more use out of his investment than you are.

Edited by Atariboy

What I don't understand is why bother with the PSP or the PSP Go if you want to emulate stuff? The soon to be released (whenver that is) Pandora, and the GP32 or GP2x are PERFECT for this. They are designed for it. The PSP was never intended for such use, and the constant updates to prevent it is proof. Oh sure, the bragging rights to do so are there, but still. Is it worth it?

The Pandora will retail around 400 bucks, and I honestly am considering it. However, a nice little Acer Aspire netbook sounds like a vary viable option for me as well, considering I don't emulate systems as recent as PSone (considering i intned to get screens for my psone and ps2).

Excuse me? Listen up, where did I say I don't play any games? Why do think I plopped down cash for a system? If you had any common sense, you would realize I'm obviously a gamer for even frequenting this forum, and point two, who cares if I skip class? Do you think professors care if you go to class or not? My parents are in another state, so maybe next time instead of talking out your ass and trying flame someone, get a clue.

Nothing he said implies he doesn't play games on his PSP. Instead, it hints at him ripping his PSP games to the memory card for decreased loading times and improved battery life, and expanding his horizons by emulating other systems to play on his PSP. He's probably playing more games on it than you ever dreamed of and getting much more use out of his investment than you are.

No kidding. I haven't used the UMD drive on mine since hacking it. Total waste of space on the thing.