IGNORED

Predictions on the PSP Go

I don't go to OKC that often, but I may take you up on that if I'm ever that way. (I always thought it would be cool to hack)

It'll flop and then Sony will put it on life support for years.

Oh, so it'll be just like the other PSPs, then.

The PSP is not on life support. It is a well supported and popular system. Yes, it is second to the DS juggernaut, but it is far from being a dead system. The PS3 however....that could end up being a possibility due to the rumors about Activision dropping support. They are one of the biggest developers out there. Possibly biggest. I can't recall who is considered bigger, Activision or EA. Regardless. PSP Go is a good concept, but not the right time when Sony is set to release the PSP 3000 series.

I don't know about that, as poor as sales are for the PS3 (beyond the hardware itself, which lets face it, is selling cause it happens to do more than play blue ray) the PSP is in FAR worse condition. The systems are being sold still, but over all, UMD movies died a long time ago, and the game section is one half of a shelf. Not one half of a four foot section of shelves, one half of ONE shelf (at the store in my town) I don't call that anything beyond being on life support. On the other hand, of course, a system that has under a dozen available new games is going to sell poorly.

In my town, it's really selling less like a live handheld, and much more like a device being completely fazed out.

Maybe onlinesales numbers are better, but IRL, it's doing quiet poorly.

I don't know about that, as poor as sales are for the PS3 (beyond the hardware itself, which lets face it, is selling cause it happens to do more than play blue ray) the PSP is in FAR worse condition. The systems are being sold still, but over all, UMD movies died a long time ago, and the game section is one half of a shelf. Not one half of a four foot section of shelves, one half of ONE shelf (at the store in my town) I don't call that anything beyond being on life support. On the other hand, of course, a system that has under a dozen available new games is going to sell poorly.

In my town, it's really selling less like a live handheld, and much more like a device being completely fazed out.

Your area is not the norm. Your store may be doing that to compensate for what the local market is wanting. However, Generally, I walk into various stores, including Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc, the PSP support is just as much as any other system. The PSP may not have the big numbers in the market share, but it is significantly high enough to consider it a success, especially when up against a juggernaut.

Your area is not the norm. Your store may be doing that to compensate for what the local market is wanting. However, Generally, I walk into various stores, including Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc, the PSP support is just as much as any other system. The PSP may not have the big numbers in the market share, but it is significantly high enough to consider it a success, especially when up against a juggernaut.

This.

Both the Best Buy and Game Stop in my area (South of Boston) have half an aisle dedicated to the PSP exclusively. Just as much as the PS3 and the Wii.

Could just be my area, every other system has a whole 4ft section to itself (with the exception of the 360,which as an extra half a case to itself, being shared witha ll the cheapo games) Sad thing is, there are more Clearanced GBA games on shelves than there are new PSP games here. I'd get some, but I already got a copy of all of them so :P

PSP support seems hit and miss around here. Some stores, like Game Stop, have a lot of stuff for it. Others have a couple small shelves and that's it. I'd still say the traditional PSP is going strong.

What I meant earlier was that I think the Go itself may flop, and if it does, Sony will keep the Go on life support they way they did with Betamax and MiniDisc.

I don't think this will affect any of the other PSP models. Sooner or later, an easier hardware mod or a firmware hack will be discovered for the 3000 and it will be on again with Sony vs the big, bad, hacking community and all the supposed software pirates.

Heh, hacking. I'm much more interested in putting Spyro (which I own already) and Need for Speed (which I own already) on the PSP, that would just be cool, their some of my favorite PSX games, oh, and Skull Monkeys, which I also already own :P

See that's what I don't get. All I wanna do game wise is play what I already own. I buy a UMD, rip it, then place it on the shelf with my collection. Or I might rip a PS1 game and put that back on my shelf. That's it. I eliminate the load times by using a memory stick, and I crank the CPU speed for better frame rates.

None of that is illegal at all, yet $ony has their panties in a bunch over it.

It's nearly impossible to separate homebrew from piracy. When the doors open to one, the other comes rushing in.

From the developers' perspective, there's no need to separate them. In their eyes, both just take away from sales of their own games. Wrong as it may be, that's how they see it. The distinctions are things we fans worry about.

Funny enough, in the world of books, many autors this day in age, are saying they are actually seeing increased sales in their books, when they put their books up for free on the net. (then again, that's a different mindset of people who take the time to read where most of us want instant action now, but still)

The simple fact is, people who wouldn't pay for something anyways (or can't) aren't going to either way, and the people who will, probably will.

The big problem with games, well, most media today, is the fact that there are to many big corporations with their heads up their asses. I don't see that changing till some large (80's ish era game crash type of thing) event happens.

Funny enough, in the world of books, many autors this day in age, are saying they are actually seeing increased sales in their books, when they put their books up for free on the net. (then again, that's a different mindset of people who take the time to read where most of us want instant action now, but still)

The simple fact is, people who wouldn't pay for something anyways (or can't) aren't going to either way, and the people who will, probably will.

The big problem with games, well, most media today, is the fact that there are to many big corporations with their heads up their asses. I don't see that changing till some large (80's ish era game crash type of thing) event happens.

People are spending more of their entertainment money on cheaper things like books. If someone wants to read a book for free they can just go to the library and check out the book.