IGNORED

Digital Distribution

Okay, as someone with a lot of digital copies of anything, this can be seen as Ironic, however, I will get to why it isn't.

Today, we see a lot happening in regards to digital distribution. Music, Movies, Games, Books, etc are all being sent to you for your enjoyment via some form of downloadable content site. Whether that is Xbox Live, iTunes, Amazon, etc, we are moving away from physical media as bandwidth to the home widens. What does this mean to collectors like us? A lot. Our physical media becomes more rare as time goes on thanks to degradation of hardware components. And because of that, there is no replacements, unless someone decides to invest in creating the medium again just to prolong the existence of said media.

The PSP Go, and the DSi, along with the iPhone/iPod and other media players are embracing the downloadable content. The PSP Go sheds the umd drive and brings in a 16gb flash drive built in to download games. The DSi, still with the DS slot, allows users to access the DS SHop/Nintendo Shop to download content. Same with home consoles and computers.

However, why is it taking a while for it to become fully embraces? What do you do when you run out of storage space for your games on a console harddrive? You delete it, or back it up to ANOTHER storage medium. Some instances, deletion is your only option. Look at your average Cell Phone, you spend 4 bux a month, or a 8 to 10 dollar one time fee to purchase a game. You need space for a new app or game? You have to delete something. Now, you want that app or game back? Guess what, buy it again. Personally, that is a rip off. I already BOUGHT IT. Why can't I back it up somehow? You can't tell me that the app and game creators can't implement some form of DRM that locks that game or app to my phone or phone number. Or with so many phones with MicroSD, save the app or game to the memory card.

When we buy something, we want to keep it. When we don't want or need it, we should have the option to store it somehow. Not be forced to delete it.

Now, the irony for me? I do a lot of emulation. It is all digital obviously. I need space, it has to go somewhere when the importance of said space is dictated. However, I know I can always get it again without having to "pay for it" again. If users are forced to do this, the downloadable content market won't take over. Creating a means that the site keeps tabs on what was purchased so it can be freely downloaded again at a later date is the way to fix this issue.

Opinions and ideas that would also help? What are your thoughts?

I like having something tangible to play my games on. I like playing Starmaster on this cart right here, or watching my Star Trek movies on those big discs.

Plus if I ever get angry enough with a game, as a total last resort I can furiously yank the cart from the system and fling it across the room. :evil: I can't do that to a downloaded game.

I like having something tangible to play my games on. I like playing Starmaster on this cart right here, or watching my Star Trek movies on those big discs.

Plus if I ever get angry enough with a game, as a total last resort I can furiously yank the cart from the system and fling it across the room. :evil: I can't do that to a downloaded game.

I agree. We are a tactile species. We derive information from touch. For us old school gamers, that information is nostalgia. The enjoyment of flashing back to our carefree youths and enjoying the Atari consoles again. Not having that takes away from it.

Now, I do relate to the idea that virtual media is a good idea. I get on my son about finger smudges on the CD/DVD-Rom based consoles, and when he doesn't keep his DS games put away in the carry case. I am getting him an R4 flash cart so I can have rom images of his games. No taking out carts, no losing them...all there easily accessible and ready to play. However, I can have them backed up on my PC in case of issues.

I like DD.

I have a room (literally) full of next to worthless VHS tapes (When I try and sell them on eBay I'm lucky to get $9.99 for a lot of a dozen of them usually people just don't bid on em)

They've been replaced by almost worthless DVDs that also take up a crap load of space on my house.

True I have literally 1000's of movies at my disposal (taking up a shit load of room in my house) and what do I usually do these days when I want to watch a movie or TV show? I fire up the 360, click on Netflix, and push a button to begin watching. Sure it costs me about $10 a month. (Or what I usually used to spend on 1 VHS tape or 1 DVD) but it takes up zero room in my house, and it'll never be worthless since I don't actually own anything. The big difference, for that $10 instead of getting 1 movie, I have access to thousands. Good deal.

Edited by moycon

I like DD.

I have a room (literally) full of next to worthless VHS tapes (When I try and sell them on eBay I'm lucky to get $9.99 for a lot of a dozen of them usually people just don't bid on em)

They've been replaced by almost worthless DVDs that also take up a crap load of space on my house.

True I have literally 1000's of movies at my disposal (taking up a shit load of room in my house) and what do I usually do these days when I want to watch a movie or TV show? I fire up the 360, click on Netflix, and push a button to begin watching. Sure it costs me about $10 a month. (Or what I usually used to spend on 1 VHS tape or 1 DVD) but it takes up zero room in my house, and it'll never be worthless since I don't actually own anything. The big difference, for that $10 instead of getting 1 movie, I have access to thousands. Good deal.

Netflix is a rental service though. Don't get me wrong, I love Netflix and my family and I watch on the 360 all the time. But even if you were getting DVD's, they're still rentals and you don't have them laying around taking up space.

I like having the "real" thing. Call me weird, but it does give me a sense of independence. I don't have to worry about EULA changes, companies going out of business or properties changing hands from one company to another one that is more assholish than the first. Let's be honest, sooner or later (maybe sooner with the economy in the tank) a major DD service is going to go under leaving people with their thumbs up their butt! I didn't want to be one of those people, but I have downloaded stuff that was too cheap to pass up and am vulnerable to the whims of fate. I do back everything up to protect myself the best I can.

Netflix is a rental service though.

I understand your points. Although, I have an entire room of now worthless movies and I cant really do a thing with them. I dont watch them and I have an entire room in my house devoted to them. And the best part? I spend thousands of dollars to obtain them. Same with the DVDs I owned. They cost a lot when you add them up and they take up lots of space. Space I could use for something else. Something independent even!! :cool: I agree with you. Im glad I have them. They are there if there is some sort of media emergency and I lose the ability to push a button and watch a flick (Like say lose my job) But honestly I'm done building the collection.... for what? So in 10 years I can spend thousands more and rebuild it? No thanks.

For some stuff, digital distribution is okay. However my conditions are:

1. Even after the company no longer exists, it will still work as intended and designed, or a version will be made available that will function in such a manner.

2. The ability to keep as many archival copies as I want in case of an emergency.

3. The ability to transfer system and said digital downloads to another party at any time of my choosing.

However, for more "big-ticket" items, I prefer something physical in the hand.

No need to re-buy a collection though. Just keep machines around that can play what you have! ;) Talk about taking up space! :ponder:

Who's going to want to watch my crappy, degraded VHS copy of Nightbeast when they could be watching the super duper 10000 SPI, holographic, smell-o-graphic version in 2019? That's right..No one. There's some favorites over the years I probably re-bought a half dozen times (Night of the Living Dead anyone which BTW I watched on my 360 not more than 3 days ago, and at the simple press off a button! :cool: ) don't tell me your still watching you Beta copy of Star Wars! ;)

I actually still do have my 8mm, 16mm projectors, a couple VHS players hooked, and various DVD players including a HD DVD player hooked up (Not to mention the PSBlu) this is mainly because on every format, there's always rare stuff that hasn't been released for the next format up...Let me tell you you''re right, space is getting to be a rare thing around my house, probably why I'm all for DD.

Edited by moycon

1. Even after the company no longer exists, it will still work as intended and designed, or a version will be made available that will function in such a manner.

2. The ability to keep as many archival copies as I want in case of an emergency.

3. The ability to transfer system and said digital downloads to another party at any time of my choosing.

However, for more "big-ticket" items, I prefer something physical in the hand.

Ah! So in other words, you have yet to find a suitable DD system. ;)

Every inch of the way, expect media companies to try to keep those 3 particular points out of your clutches by whatever means they can buy. Be it technology, social engineering, or legislation. (In other words what they're already doing.)

Who's going to want to watch my crappy, degraded VHS copy of Nightbeast when they could be watching the super duper 10000 SPI, holographic, smell-o-graphic version in 2019? That's right..No one. There's some favorites over the years I probably re-bought a half dozen times (Night of the Living Dead anyone which BTW I watched on my 360 not more than 3 days ago, and at the simple press off a button! :cool: ) don't tell me your still watching you Beta copy of Star Wars! ;)

I never had a Betamax player. But I did pick up the VHS super duper deluxe boxed set at a garage sale last summer for $8! :cool: It doesn't look too bad on my DVD/VHS unit via HDMI on my HDTV! :P

I actually still do have my 8mm, 16mm projectors, a couple VHS players hooked, and various DVD players including a HD DVD player hooked up (Not to mention the PSBlu) this is mainly because on every format, there's always rare stuff that hasn't been released for the next format up...Let me tell you you''re right, space is getting to be a rare thing around my house, probably why I'm all for DD.

I'm lucky that I have a basement (and a tolerent wife ;) ) to store my junk in. My oldest son is going away to college this fall. I told him I was going to convert his bedroom to a gaming room and that he could sleep on the couch whenever he was home. Needless to say neither he or my wife found that funny. :twisted:

I've thought a lot about DD. I even worked for a company that did DD. Ironically, I've stopped downloading movies, and play mostly CD's. I think there are some critical hurdles to overcome when it comes to DD

Interface. Picking a cd from my collection, or go to the video-rental-store and 'browse' for a nice movie is a good interface. Clicking through a website sucks. Humans are physical.

As for buying (instead of renting) stuff. I want to have something physical in return. Since storage mediums are getting smaller and smaller this should be no problem. I think the 'problem' of distributing physical content is way overated.

I hope next generation consoles use cartridges! O no! you put in a game and you can play imediatly :lol:

Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe I'm an IT professional with a burnout. Time will tell.

I like this list. I've moved away from physical media for movies and music, but not for games due to DRM. I have well over 2 terabytes of movies and music stored on a media server. It's great not having to deal with dvd shelves and boxes, and my movies are all DRM free, so I can watch them on any device...McBook, HTPC, Xbox 360, Apple TV, iPod, iPhone...as long as they can play .mp4 files...it will play.

With games the DRM is going to be an issue, which is why DD is going to suck for us gamers (until someone busts the DRM). I have no issue with DD as long as I can make copies and play my games on ALL of my xbox 360's for as long as I own an xbox 360...etc.

I've always felt that purchasing physical copies of games/music/movies will eventually die out. It's just so much more convenient to download. THAT'S the kind of species we are. We want everything to be EASY and QUICK. Hey, we gave up reel to reel for VHS tapes, then gave them up for DVD and now we're giving those up for digital downloads.

I was flipping back and forth between Rocky and Rocky Balboa last night on my DVR and I did it in seconds. Imagine what I'd have to do to accomplish the same thing with a DVD (especially if I only had one DVD player, which I do.)

Don't worry, they've got a solution to people's packrat-itis. What I predict will happen is that your media will one day be stored on remote servers so you never have to download it permanently to your system. (Or like Steem or WiiWare when you can delete it off your system and just download it again if you need to.)

Don't worry, they've got a solution to people's packrat-itis. What I predict will happen is that your media will one day be stored on remote servers so you never have to download it permanently to your system. (Or like Steem or WiiWare when you can delete it off your system and just download it again if you need to.)

Well, people accept money is on their banking account too instead of in a safe. Maybe ownership of content should work the same way. Some central point of registering of what you have, and the ability to download it whenever you want.

Well, people accept money is on their banking account too instead of in a safe. Maybe ownership of content should work the same way. Some central point of registering of what you have, and the ability to download it whenever you want.

When it becomes a SERIOUS federal crime for a company to withhold your purchased downloadable media regardless of what you want to download said content to and for what reason, then I'll possibly consider that rational to hold water. Imagine if the bank refused to let you withdraw your money except for use at selected stores owned by said bank.

I accept the use of the banking system over a safe because I know that the money I put in there will be available for whatever I want to use it on short of the collapse of society. When it comes to downloadable content, that content is available only so long as the company decides it wants to make it available. There have already been attempts by some services in the music industry (Walmart for instance) to try to shut down their DRM servers.

This is a great point.

Until we have strong law that protects people, who make investments, digital works really are not enduring. I break things into two coarse groups:

-experiences

Experiences are like a carnival ride, or a walk through a gallery. They are not meant to endure, and are pay for play kinds of things. Some games could fall into this group and when they do, I'm happy to pay.

-investments

These are things that have value beyond just experiencing them. A great music album has this quality. We often associate many things with music, and use it for expression. Many games fall into this group as well. They can be played again, and have some quality that is meaningful beyond beating the game.

As things stand right now, digital copies of things really are poor investments, unless one is able to archive them and make use of them at will. The problem we have right now is that many media companies are trying to distribute things as experiences, while at the same time trying to pitch them as investments. No thanks.

And for some people getting there in the here and now is worth the pain. For me, it's really not. There is so much to do, build and experience, that dealing with brain-dead, over exploitative, DRM laden works just isn't worth the hassle.

---and I don't fully trust banks either. When a mistake is made with "your" stored value, it's often difficult to recover. Small "mistakes" over time build big profit. This also works with deliberate fees and such. I keep some cash on hand, just because. I also, where possible, choose to save in a very low access account that's not directly connected to anything and where a verbal or physical authorization is required to move value out of it. Day to day banking is just a leech! I keep just enough to cover those things that are recurring, or that make sense to pay electronically, and use cash every where else.

Cash does not have a transfer fee, and those fees these days are really adding up!

With digital, a similar structure is in play. "value added" downloads where completing a game story, or getting a fun character attribute, item, or some other thing have shown up, and that's annoying when the $50 or so buy in is considered. Playing off line is kind of nice, and it's the bench mark for whether or not you really own the work you've "invested" in, or you are just experiencing it.

The latter is fine, but that needs to be clear and priced accordingly, IMHO.

I never had a Betamax player. But I did pick up the VHS super duper deluxe boxed set at a garage sale last summer for $8! :cool: It doesn't look too bad on my DVD/VHS unit via HDMI on my HDTV! :P

I'm lucky that I have a basement (and a tolerent wife ;) ) to store my junk in. My oldest son is going away to college this fall. I told him I was going to convert his bedroom to a gaming room and that he could sleep on the couch whenever he was home. Needless to say neither he or my wife found that funny. :twisted:

I'm sure she objects to you storing your junk in her too :P (sorry, couldn't help it)

Yeah, there's a huge ass difference, the Bank does not charge you to store money with them. In fact, they make money by investing your money, for which, they can afford to store it for free, and hey, with the right account, they even PAY you for that service.

With DD, you hemorage money every step of the way, are severly limited with what you can do with it, when, where, how, etc, and when the company wants to, they can pull the service alltogether.

Anyhow, back on topic

Me, I personally like the ease of use of Medialess devices, on the go, my MMD gets used a lot for listening to songs, and watching movies (t's not designed for playing games, but the R4 handles that) However, I do not PAY (beyond some hardware) for the service. Every Movie on my netbook, every Audio file on my Mp3 player, every Digital game I have, I OWN outright. On the one hand, yeah, huge collections eat into the one resourse we can't easily just buy more of (space), on the other hand, I get a new CD, rip it in 320k MP3, and at any later date, I can rip it in another format, AI, WMP, whatever, at any bitrate (technically available) that I want to. In the mean time, if I get some uber virus, or my computer dies, I don't loose anything, I havve all the real media and can always get it redone.

Wit DD, your stuck with the one format, at the one bitrate, and can only use it on one device, and if you dont like it, go fuck yourself (or go buy the actual software and rip it yourself :P ) DD dveices are becoming common, way to common IMO, and while there are a few advvantages, the disadvantges will always be a bigger factor for me. Most Media Providers would like nothing more than for DD to totally take over, and for peopole to go strictly to a Pay per Play service, but honestly, I don't see that happening in my life time. It's just to convienant for me to buy the actual device, actual software, and dump it on my 2TB of HDD space (which I plan on doubling later this year) and use it how I want to. Lots of people tout convienance as a + for DD, but look at all you LOSE in the process. What? I suppose it is easier to press one button and get most anything, but is it really easier to spend your time working to get the money to pay for your one use item which you'll have to pay for again later?

As for the format thing, yeah, I have VHS and still watch things on there...why? many movies don't get converted, there are so many being made, seriously, most people aren't going to miss them. I own every format that I do, because there is something I want to See/play/hear exclusive to that format. It's like buying all the next gen consoles cause you want Lair (ps3) Halo (360) and Mario (wii) And I still havve my Atari for Combat and Asteroids, which are unique to it. In other words, I don't own anything I don't want, and everything I do own, I have for a reason.

I suppose I could rip my VHS to the computer, and burn them to DVD and get rid of those, but eh...while it's one thing to rip a new movie or CD, especially as you purchase them, it's quiet another to archive hundreds of thousands of hours of old material....I do on occasion, as I find something and just can't resist the urge to rip it, but over all most of my old collection is safe, as I just like the physical media and hardware.

By nature, people do like quick and easy, but the flip side, they also like hoarding. This is just as commond a trait in people, as day and night in a single cycle we call a "day"

My biggest complaint about DD comes down to actual ownership. Take ring tones for example they say your buying it, but only for 6 months or less. I am sorry to me that's renting it. The same thing comes with games and movies will they work when both the company say has gone under or if the console is no longer being supported?

Yeah, that's the big one all right.

"Purchase" really starts to mean a lot of stuff when digital distribution and management comes along for the ride. I suspect the hobby we enjoy right now might seriously change with the current games being produced. Disc based games are hard enough to preserve. Digital stuff might just evaporate.

The upside might be that the latest gen retro consoles and scene might just continue to endure because of that. Who Knows? It will be interesting to watch for sure.

Buying Digital Copies of things is often like buying beer! It's just a rental!

The only problem I have with DD is that once the company goes bankrupt, the purchased games which have been deleted for extra space might be at risk.

Once they figure out a way to let us make hard copies of the downloaded material, I'm all for it. Having a burner on a console which makes it possible to make a hard copy, say, every 12 months would be nice along with some sort of blocking for copying discs. Then give all the artwork necessary to make a decent cover, manual and cd label ourselves.

Until then, I'll buy discs, unless I really can't get my hands on the game (older ones) and for cartridge games with battery saves.

The only problem I have with DD is that once the company goes bankrupt, the purchased games which have been deleted for extra space might be at risk.

Once they figure out a way to let us make hard copies of the downloaded material, I'm all for it. Having a burner on a console which makes it possible to make a hard copy, say, every 12 months would be nice along with some sort of blocking for copying discs. Then give all the artwork necessary to make a decent cover, manual and cd label ourselves.

Until then, I'll buy discs, unless I really can't get my hands on the game (older ones) and for cartridge games with battery saves.

"Once they figure out a way"? You make it sound like backup copies is some arcane black magic art. The reason easy backup of your purchased downloads is not available to you is because they specifically devoted resources to making that not possible without reverse engineering.

All they needed to do is include a freaking usb port given usb drives can hold a huge amount of space these days, and it's trivial to be able to split super huge games into multiple files if your particular usb drive can't take the entire game in one go. Transfer those images from usb drive to your personal computer and use the burner on the computer to make your hard copy.

"figure out a way" is not a technical issue, but a legal and ethical one.

We have considerable discussion to work through as a society, before we see serious progress on these things.

Trust is one topic. Do we trust people and let them actually own their devices and works, or do we not trust them and license those works?

Blu-Ray, Vista and your cell phone are examples where you, the user, are not trusted and do not completely own your device.

Computers running Linux, CD Audio are examples where you, the user, is trusted, and do completely own the device.

Another topic is the term of IP protection, it's nature, and that impact on the commons from which we build new works. Right now, that term is over 90 years for most things, and it's been regularly extended each time Mickey Mouse is about to enter the Public Domain.

Do we grant larger monopolies (expansion of patents, for example), do we grant longer terms?

Or, do we limit those things.

The implication there is who owns culture and how much innovation or new culture we will see. Think Rip, Mix, Burn, U-Tube -vs- Rambo 13, 14, 15 for the new culture. Where innovation is concerned, new means, methods and processes depend on being able to tap the commons of things done before. Extending terms tends to solidify current tech, discouraging the new. Shorter terms makes tech more fluid, encouraging the new.

That's a small sampling of "figure out how"! It's quite the mess really, and not really getting any better. The good news appears to be the debate is robust right now. Pirate Party has a member in Parlemant! (who would have thought!) We have Creative Commons / Open Source / Liberal distribution (some authors permitting their works to be distributed online and shared, making money on both the work and mindshare) -vs- Strong IP Corporate owned commons / Closed Source / Fairly Restrictive distribution. Politically, there are people in these camps, all over the map -vs- a lot of money being spent to bias the debate and preempt things by getting law written early as kind of a stake in the ground thing. That's things like the DMCA.

Right now, if somebody actually did want to produce a device where people could make managed archives, for example, the existing state of law wouldn't actually permit it, and the state of the debate surrounding that law has not reached any momentum toward an answer as to whether or not it should be permitted.

So, there you go. "figure it out" indeed!

• 2 weeks later...
"figure out a way" is not a technical issue, but a legal and ethical one.

It is neither of those issues. It's an issue of control and profit.

Trust is not going to be an option to industry. Trust is less profitable than reselling the same crap over and over and over again. I don't do Blu-Ray, Vista, or own a cellphone.

I'm working towards Linux, for now XP is suitable if not preferable.

CD Audio I enjoy, although after attempts by industry to remove that "trust" by preloading their commercial CDs with malware (Sony you suck. :P) and other "copy prevention programs" I buy far less of those as well. (In reality it's just shortsightedness of the music industry who thought people would never be able to afford CD burners or have computers able to use them at the time, and thus didn't have DRM built into the design.)

Another topic is the term of IP protection, it's nature, and that impact on the commons from which we build new works. Right now, that term is over 90 years for most things, and it's been regularly extended each time Mickey Mouse is about to enter the Public Domain.

And if THAT doesn't wake people up to the fact it's corrupt lobbying controlling copyright, I doubt anything will. And remember it's not 90 years "for most things". In the US it's 90 years AFTER THE DEATH OF THE CREATOR. You draw a picture when you're 20, and live til you're 100, and that's a copyright duration of 170 years. That's 170 years for lobbyists to bribe government officials into extending it even further. :P

Copyright is too long. WAY too long. And it will only get longer. It's even coded to work that way. Copyright can legally be extended, but it is impossible to shorten it. It was done that way on purpose.

Do we grant larger monopolies (expansion of patents, for example), do we grant longer terms?

Or, do we limit those things.

See above. Copyright and Patents are intended to encourage new works, with the INTENTION that those will fall into public domain. It was never intended to give you a lifelong ownership of ideas. If you can't make your project turn a profit in 10 years, especially in this day and age, there's something seriously wrong with your project or your managing of it. There is NO need for the kind of crap we have these days, but sadly we're being breed to believe it's perfectly natural. You were never intended to be able to retire on a couple years of "work", which seems to be an increasing assumption.

Right now, if somebody actually did want to produce a device where people could make managed archives, for example, the existing state of law wouldn't actually permit it, and the state of the debate surrounding that law has not reached any momentum toward an answer as to whether or not it should be permitted.

The only reason the existing state of law won't permit you to exercise your fair use rights is because those rights were sold to media companies by your government in exchange for "campaign donations". Remove the parts of the law that make it illegal to do what you're suppose to be legally allowed to do (Thanks to your DMCA) and such a device becomes perfectly acceptable and marketable. (The DMCA actually gives and takes away the same rights. It makes sure you're legally allowed to make backups etc for personal use. However it ALSO makes it a serious crime for you to reverse engineer any "copy protection" on it, no matter how simplistic, as well as illegal to possess or obtain the tools to do so. Naturally, media companies ALL use copy protection so... :P