IGNORED

Site Moved to New Server

Albert

AtariAge has been moved to a new server! The old server was crashing frequently, so hopefully we'll have smooth sailing for a while now. This new box is also significantly faster than the old box, so hopefully if the site was sluggish at all for you it'll be faster now.

These moves rarely go without incident, so if you notice anything broken or out of place, please let me know so I can take a look at it!

Thanks,

..Al

Working very well from France, too.

Congratulations Albert, the switch was fast and successful :thumbsup:

Definitely the fastest I've been able to switch a server, considering I had to take the forum down, dump the database, copy it to the new server (it's 5GB) and them import it into the new server. Everything else was pretty much ready to go. However, I forgot to take into account that the site needs a unique IP address for its SSL cert, so now I have to move the site to another IP. I'll have to do that later tonight.

everything including the kitchen sink Al

I want to see this voting system you've put inplace

That would be this link:

http://www.atariage.org/narn/forums/

There are some problems with that test site, though, in that some queries are very slow (such as "View New Content"). Also, that has not been skinned at all, so the appearance will change quite a bit. But it'll give you a feel for what the new forum software will look like with a recent backup of the current forum (including the Blogs and Gallery).

..Al

Well, I myself have had no internet today.. just got on not too long ago. So far I think I've only had "one" lag issue. Other than that the new server seems to be great.

Thanks again for everything, Albert. You're a really great guy and I/we appreciate all the hard work.

Edited by yuppicide

I assume you've finally dumped The Planet for a more reliable company?

No, the new server is also at The Planet. Really the only major problem there was that explosion at their data center last year that took AtariAge offline for three days. Other than that, AtariAge has been at the same facility since 2001 I believe, back when it was EV1. Then Rackshack bought EV1 and several years ago The Planet bought Rackshack. :D The stuff lately with the previous server I just have to put up as hardware going bad, which is going to happen. The Planet did spend a lot of time troubleshooting it and they even did a chassis swap (and I did see evidence of that when I looked through the root logs to see what they had to do to setup license keys tied to the new hardware).

In the end I don't mind getting the site moved over to a faster server with more disk space, aside from the expense and time involved in order to setup and move the site.

..Al

Soz for being the first to have a 'bitch' but i already have a problem

I was trying to add a comment onto chickyb's thread in the main section (just below albert's) and it didn't seem to accept my input when i pressed the post tab/button

i tried this once yesterday and once today and the same thing happened

Soz for being the first to have a 'bitch' but i already have a problem

I was trying to add a comment onto chickyb's thread in the main section (just below albert's) and it didn't seem to accept my input when i pressed the post tab/button

i tried this once yesterday and once today and the same thing happened

Can you give me a link to the actual thread so I can test this out?

Thanks,

..Al

Soz...fell asleep

http://www.atariage.org/narn/forums/user/2879-chickybaby/

As mentioned...wouldn't accept my input/messege when the post tab/button was pressed

Perhpas i am banned for posting messages or something in the new place

I think i found out about the voting thing, can't remember how i did it though (might be something to do with showing a members profile or something)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Soz...fell asleep

http://www.atariage.org/narn/forums/user/2879-chickybaby/

As mentioned...wouldn't accept my input/messege when the post tab/button was pressed

Perhpas i am banned for posting messages or something in the new place

Your comments are there, they just need to be approved first:

Picture_41.png

Each user can choose whether comments in their profile appear automatically or need to be approved before the rest of the world can see them. The current forum is the same way.

..Al

I'm having to access the site with a web based proxy server. I guess my ISP is very late to the party :(. Every time I click on the Forums link I get sent to the "site is down" page. Would it be possible to redirect that page back to the forums ;-).

I can't really redirect you to the live forums if "atariage.com" is resolving to the old server (216.40.231.66). I could point you at the new IP-based address, but as soon as you followed a link it would try to go back to the old server as the forum generates absolute links based on the "http://www.atariage.com/forums/" address. Really sucks that your ISP is still caching the old address, especially considering I set the DNS refresh time to only five minutes in anticipation of this move.

..Al