IGNORED

Video games featuring the World Trade Center

Zap!

204-1.jpgDie%20Hard.gif

After seeing the frightening images on the cover of the box and title screens of the NES game Die Hard (see above), this got me wondering...How many games feature the Twin Towers? I deeply apologize if this offends anyone, but I assure you, that is not my intention. I myself live in NYC and know firsthand of this tragedy.

What does Die Hard have to do with the WTC? First off it's only 1 building and the fire is on the top 5 floors.

Ahh, I see that now. Upon first glance, it looks like two towers. I'm not the only one it confused, during the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of the game, he too thought it was the WTC.

Microsoft Flight Simulator. And as Stich pointed out, that's not the twin towers in that picture. Have you not seen Die Hard? That's the fictitious Nakatomi building, located in LA.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 features the Twin Towers on an early version of the box art. I think the particular box is the one with the gatefold front and the pewter figurine packed inside. Strike-Team.net still has this box available as a contest prize. The Twin Towers are also featured in Yuri's Revenge, however, they were removed in copies made after 9/11. I believe the last patch, 1.001, removes them as well.

Microsoft Flight Simulator. And as Stich pointed out, that's not the twin towers in that picture. Have you not seen Die Hard? That's the fictitious Nakatomi building, located in LA.

Chris

Amazing as it sounds, I never seen a DH movie, and I love action movies of that time.

The Twin Towers are also featured in Yuri's Revenge, however, they were removed in copies made after 9/11. I believe the last patch, 1.001, removes them as well.

I must say I never understood this. They reworked a Spider-Man movie, too, because of 9/11, so the WTC doesn't appear anymore...

Couldn't they have said, the movie "took place" when the towers still stood? Also, Red Alert plays in a parallel universe, so it's conceivable it might have the same WTC but no 9/11...

:?

There's a NES shooter that shows the twin towers crumbling to the halfway point in the background as you fly along. The game scrolls along like space harrier. Cannot remember the name off hand and I have it on emu.

3-D Worldrunner is like Space Harrior, is that it?

Soooo, they took the Statue of Liberty out of the Wii version of Punch Out? Why? To avoid offending any Ghostbusters II fans? So all the terrorists playing their Wiis won't get angry at the great satan US? Geeze. PC is getting out of hand.

post-10277-1246642686_thumb.png

It's called Tetrastar. Grab the rom and play it. It will show the towers falling.

Urban Strike for the Sega Genesis. In a cutscene before one level, it shows an attack on the WTC. Even scarier is that, in the game, it takes place in the year 2001 (and the game was made in 1994).

I believe in a sub, sub conscious that can bring about tramatic events in the future before they happen. I believe it's more than a coincidence that so many people had artistic depictions of the Twin Towers being destroyed or on fire before 9/11 actually happened.

Edited by homerwannabee

No artistic coincidence or conspiracy whatever. It's just happened. It's like reading a horoscope. If you read it afterwards, you will say, that just sounds what i have done this last week. It's just that they write it so general, so that everybody can reflect they're self into it.

Who didn't crash cars or fly into buildings with a simulator when you where young? And of course game designers as well as movie makers will make movies, if the script asks for it, that will show destruction of famous landmarks if they are making a game or movie. Just because people can reflect they're feelings with it.

This has nothing to do with videogames, but I thought you might enjoy the following movie poster:

godzilla_vs_megalon.jpg

I'm proud to say I own an original copy of this poster. I'm sure it went way up in value when 9/11 happened, but I ain't sellin' it!

Though this film was made in 1973, it wasn't released in the US until the middle of 1976, and the poster's design was a blatant attempt to cash in on the popularity of the 1976 King Kong remake:

King%20Kong%201976%20poster%201.jpg

The irony here is that Godzilla vs. Megalon was a far more enjoyable and interesting film.

What the hell is king kong supposed to be holding in that picture? (yeah, Godzilla rules, that's one of my favvorite of the series too)

I think One of the Rampage games depicts the WTC as background art. Many games taking place in NY will show it at some point.

What the hell is king kong supposed to be holding in that picture?

I've often wondered about that myself. It looks an awful lot like the artistic representations of NASA's Apollo Moon rockets that you saw a lot of prior to the advent of the Space Shuttle, but that makes no sense in the context of the film. My best guess is that it's supposed to be a missile or an airplane. The plane hypothesis doesn't work to well, though, 'cause the thing has no wings, and it looks nothing like the intact fighter plane that's also in the picture.