IGNORED

Asteroids The Movie

Just saw this on Ain't It Cool News too...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41591

Could be interesting. A miner destroying asteroids for the ore encounters aliens bent on the destruction of humans. (Just my own speculative story.)

Sinistar might make for a more interesting film.

Sinistar "à la" Melies...

post-6602-1246537376_thumb.jpg

There's the 1997 TV movie called "Asteroid!"; it's like a cheap-ass version of Armageddon...

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CFSTjT8cw

Look in the trailer at the moment from ~1:00 to ~1:05, that looks like what I'd expect from a movie based on the game Asteroids ;)

Edited by Herbarius

asteroids_movie.pngThe Hollywood Reporter recently reported that Universal Pictures has won the four-studio bidding war to produce a movie based on the classic Atari arcade game Asteroids. The script will be written by Matthew Lopez (Race to Witch Mountain) and the film is to be produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra). The Asteroid arcade game was a big hit for Atari, and versions of the game (official and otherwise) found their way to just about every classic video game console and computer. Wired.com managed to get their hands on a rough draft of the screenplay, if you don't mind a few spoilers. No word yet if the movie will be filmed in black and white vector graphics.

With a complete lack of a plot, or storyline, I doubt even Uwe Bowle could destroy this movie. However, the first mistake is putting this in modern day. GO something futuristic. I like the idea of alien invasion using the Asteroids as Mass Driver type weapons, and the "U.N. Spacy Guild" uses their veritech fighter to swoop....er...sorry carried away. Anyway, even Uwe Bowle couldn't...or who am I trying to fool, Uwe Bowle would decimate something this simple (even though I dare say I liked the Dungeon Siege movie...shhhhh)

Maybe someone with some experience in or knowledge of the movie business can help me out here. What does one bid for when they bid for the rights to do an Asteroids movie? It seems like the name "Asteroids" is generic enough that it could be used for a movie title (maybe not - correct me if I am wrong). And there is no real story, per say, for the Asteroids game, is there? The link between the movie and the game would seem like it would be tenuous at best.

For example, if I made a motion picture titled "Adventure" which contained a knight and dragons, would I really need to acquire rights to the old Atari franchise?

I think that this would be the perfect vehicle for Uwe. He won't be constrained by the intricate story of an existing game that he laboriously strives to stay true to. It is only with the blank canvas that is Asteroids, that Boll's genius will be realized. :ponder:

Scott

Maybe someone with some experience in or knowledge of the movie business can help me out here. What does one bid for when they bid for the rights to do an Asteroids movie? It seems like the name "Asteroids" is generic enough that it could be used for a movie title (maybe not - correct me if I am wrong). And there is no real story, per say, for the Asteroids game, is there? The link between the movie and the game would seem like it would be tenuous at best.

For example, if I made a motion picture titled "Adventure" which contained a knight and dragons, would I really need to acquire rights to the old Atari franchise?

I think that this would be the perfect vehicle for Uwe. He won't be constrained by the intricate story of an existing game that he laboriously strives to stay true to. It is only with the blank canvas that is Asteroids, that Boll's genius will be realized. :ponder:

Scott

I always wonderd the same thing

Considering how Atari was striving to get their titles covered on a variety of levels, I would be surprised that Atari's copyrights on the name Asteroids extends into the movie industry.

However, without prior knowledge of how it all works, I would assume that it would be due to recognizability of the name of the game in general. Even though it is relatively void of any real story or plot in game play, the instruction manual however, this is a story to the game. It overall boils down to the ownership of the title, how that copyright is written, and what mediums it covers.

If anyone is to bid on another game, I say Star Raiders. Good concept, even if played out a bit with a majority of sci fi movies.

• 1 year later...

Hmm... Amazingly, I was watching the animated movie "Titan A.E." last night which is similar to the story Emmerich might do for Asteroids. Earth is destroyed by aliens and humans are marooned in space with no home. Not exactly the "original" idea purported in the article.